• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Wi-Fi and router-related help

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Sep 30, 2010
    Please help with WiFi

Hey everyone!!
    Just recently found this site and absolutely love it. :)
    I have a wireless internet connection and have been trying to connect my DS with it. I've entered the Wep key, MAC filtering is off and I have full signal strength but everytime I try to test the connection, my router switches off and I get a 51300 error code. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. D:
    Any suggestions as to how to fix this would be greatly appreciated!!
    (Sorry if this thread should be elsewhere. I don't know where everything is yet.)

Thanx Thanx Thanx

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Moving to Computers & Technology. I guess that's more appropriate? XD;

Years
    Hey everyone!!
    Just recently found this site and absolutely love it. :)
    I have a wireless internet connection and have been trying to connect my DS with it. I've entered the Wep key, MAC filtering is off and I have full signal strength but everytime I try to test the connection, my router switches off and I get a 51300 error code. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. D:
    Any suggestions as to how to fix this would be greatly appreciated!!
    (Sorry if this thread should be elsewhere. I don't know where everything is yet.)

Thanx Thanx Thanx

Are you sure your router isn't using WPA for security?

linkinpark187

Computer Tech
    Years
    If the router was WPA, then the DS wouldn't even attempt to connect to the router. How old is your router? And when was the last time your router had a power cycle?

Years
    If the router was WPA, then the DS wouldn't even attempt to connect to the router.

The DSi and DSi XL can connect to WPA with no issues. And a DS or DS Lite WILL try to connect, if you give it enough information, it'll just be looking for a WEP network, which it will find but it will then give you an error code. I know this from personal experience when I tried to get mine set up when I first got it.

And the poster might have a dying router, depending on how long they've had it.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Internet Problem

Hi! I have a router problem that just begun 2 days ago. Quite often my internet will stop working and I have to restart my computer. And the Wireless routed goes to signal 11 now. Usually it wasn't like it.

Pic:
    Spoiler:

Ryden

Friendly Lurker
    Years
    Just to scratch out a simply solution, when was the last time that router was router was started? Also check your connections to and from the the router, make sure they're not lose or damaged.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Just to scratch out a simply solution, when was the last time that router was router was started? Also check your connections to and from the the router, make sure they're not lose or damaged.
    There was a power outage and I unplugged and replugged my router and it worked but then this problem came up

Rukario

Banned
    Years
    you sure its the router messing up and not your computer? Have you scanned it for viruses? maybe running too many connections, like bittorrent?

change anything recently? new software or drivers?

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I don't see a picture. Also, always put your expensive electronics on a good quality surge protector or unplug them during storms.

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    Have you updated your router? Sometimes its firmware needs to be updated. I had the same problem with mine. I wanted it to connect to my iPod Touch. It wouldn't accept my WEP key only because my router was a bit outdated. Once I updated it, I put in my WEP key on my iPod Touch and it worked.

But in this case it is your computer that isn't connecting with the router. Hmm...you could try to update the router. That is all I can tell you.

linkinpark187

Computer Tech
    Years
    It sounds like you wireless router may have damaged from the power outage. It shouldn't just disconnect you like that. And as twocows said, it's best to either have your expensive electronics on a very good surge protector, or just unlplug them. It's better not to take the chances.

I have a $2000 PC that I put together that gets unplugged every storm, surge protector or not. Too much blood, sweat, and tears put into that to have it go to waste. :laugh:

Team_SJK

Son of Arceus
    Years
    I would like to make a suggestion for everyone:

If you're like me and have a DS Lite that connects to an Apple AirPort Extreme or Express wireless router, and you find that the only kind of WEP it supports is "Transitional," (which is essentially WPA), don't use any kind of password protection. Use a feature called "address filtering" to keep your router secure. Address filtering is where the router will grant access to a device only if the device's MAC address has been added to the list. Therefore, any device that is not on the list will be denied access. The downside is, you'll have to gather the 12-digit MAC addresses from all of the devices that you want to grant access to your router. It's not so bad if you keep a handwritten list of them, in case you'd have to buy a new router.

EDIT: I'm sorry if I've gone over your head with all of that technical jargon. I'll try to keep things in layman's terms from now on.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    WPA2 + DS workaround?

Alright, here's the problem. I've got some custom firmware on my router and for some god forsaken reason WEP flat out doesn't work anymore. WPA2 is the only thing it has that works. If I set it to WEP I can't get the internet due to some sort of firmware related issue. (The old firmware did WEP fine)

The question is, how am I supposed to get my DS lite / DSi to connect to it for online play? The DS lite / DS phat don't support WPA2, and while the DSi DOES support WPA2, any games that are compatible with previous DS versions (Basically EVERY game) won't support it. (You can use the internet browser though. o.O; )

I seem to recall devices that are meant for this sort of thing. Perhaps a USB plugin? I'd like to look for prices competitively of course.

I don't really want to take off the firmware because besides the WEP problem it works a lot better than the old firmware in terms of port forwarding and the like.

twocows

Years
    It's probably better that you're not on WEP, I can crack it in a few minutes and get access to a network. Unfortunately, the DS isn't compatible with WPA. Someone used to put out a USB device that you could plug into your computer to create a signal, but I believe it's no longer around.

Since you run Windows 7, though, you can just use Connectify and make your computer into a hotspot, provided you have a wireless card (which I imagine you do).

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    It's probably better that you're not on WEP, I can crack it in a few minutes and get access to a network. Unfortunately, the DS isn't compatible with WPA. Someone used to put out a USB device that you could plug into your computer to create a signal, but I believe it's no longer around.

Since you run Windows 7, though, you can just use Connectify and make your computer into a hotspot, provided you have a wireless card (which I imagine you do).

You know what I don't think I do. ._.; Might've not gotten one to save money.

I always use an Ethernet cable for the massive bandwidth increase and less lag.

My laptop runs Win 7 though and obviously has wireless so... I could use that. xD

The DSi is actually compatible with WPA/WPA2. It's just that games can't use WPA/WPA2 without losing compatibility with older DS systems.

Years
    Temporarily make your wireless internet connection unsecured while playing on DS and then re-enable the security on the wireless internet connection. You could go back to the old firmware that had WEP work.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I'd recommend MAC Adress control, but I'm not sure how well it works since I don't use it myself. I don't really care if anyone gets access to my network; I just find their computer and bump my security up to WPA2 for a few days (most of the time I use WEP for my legacy devices, such as my Lite and my mom's ancient laptop). That way, they get the message that I don't want them on my network.

You could also get a new router that supports port forwarding and WEP, but that might cost more money than necessary.

twocows

Years
    I'd recommend MAC Adress control, but I'm not sure how well it works since I don't use it myself. I don't really care if anyone gets access to my network; I just find their computer and bump my security up to WPA2 for a few days (most of the time I use WEP for my legacy devices, such as my Lite and my mom's ancient laptop). That way, they get the message that I don't want them on my network.

You could also get a new router that supports port forwarding and WEP, but that might cost more money than necessary.
    MAC whitelisting is a pain in the neck. Still, it's always fun to redirect non-whitelisted computers to Kittenwar (idea here).

Last edited:
    Years

It may be a bit of a pain, but it works quite well.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back