• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Wi-Fi and router-related help

Status
Not open for further replies.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
    If you're talking about DS, it won't work. If you're talking about a laptop, well, you need the password.

Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2009
    My Adventure to Get a Friend Code

I posted this here because I basically had an adventure and lesson in technology today to get a friend code so I can soon start trading and battling on Platinum.

I use to with Diamond and Pearl a long time ago be able to connect as my router used only a WEP key. My father, a network security expert, suggested I move my security setting to WPA. Which is great and wonderful, except I could not connect to Wi-Fi. Some research got me to find a way around it using a Nintendo Wi-Fi USB adapter.

Searching my local gamestop I get the expertise of teenage workers telling me that Nintendo discontinued their sale of it. Sure enough they were correct as I searched the Nintendo site they were discontinued. A suggestion on the site says you use your own router. Great and wonderful except I want to keep my security thank you, but still want to trade and battle.

Commited to find a solution I just did a google search of "Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Adapter". Found that Gamestop.com had an old page, that let's you search for it used for $20.

I have it today. But a drawback... I have to knockdown my firewall in order to go on Wi-Fi. So I am going to just continue my offline quest until I get my 8 badges. Then play with the trading and battling later!

What a day, but I now have a friend code and can get on to wi-fi!

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    WPA is a far better standard, but WEP is sufficient for most situations. I say this from experience; in most instances, I can crack a WEP-encrypted router in a few hours. WPA takes far longer to crack, and in most instances, it's just not worth it.

However, it's better to have at least some security on your router than none (unless you're Mrs. Roberts or her daughter and plan on playing games with people). Don't disable your security altogether if it comes to that, just revert it to WEP.

In my experience, firewalls and router security serve two different purposes. Firewalls serve to alert you of malicious outgoing connections (trojans trying to send out information, viruses looking for updates), and router security serves to protect your internet from the jerk next door who's trying to leech off you. If you're a savvy computer user, the firewall is optional, but letting your neighbor leech your internet is annoying no matter who you are. Taking your firewall down is the better option, just make sure you ramp up your other security measures (get a good antivirus, use Firefox with ABP or another browser with Privoxy, and don't go to suspicious sites).

Glitchfinder

Let's all get along, please?
    Years
    Why not just set up WEP on your router?

:P

Did you see the post before yours, or are you just posting for the +1?

Anyway, you should be able to configure an exception in your firewall so that you can still connect to Nitendo WFC. Have you checked the firewall settings out?

Reina

pandasaur!
    Years
    Ah, I have a big DS wifi problem. Hope you guys can help me out.. and moreso, that I'm in the right section! Okay, here goes:

I use WPA type, so obviously when I try to use it on DS nothing will work.. so once I changed it to WEP, okay.. for some reason on my computer on the connections, when you enter your network key WEP doesn't appear as a type, so it won't work like that; but on the DS it works then.

So basically I have an offline computer but online DS. Its extremely hard to switch hard back and forth (time consuming!), and just for wifi on DS wouldn't be worth it, especially considering it puts my computer and my parents' computer online during the wifi.

Is there any known solution, like.. I don't know, a way to set up a second connection, or get my computer to accept WEP? Is that possible, even? I have a netgear router if that helps. Any suggestions, tips, or advice is appreciated!

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I need to find an inexspensive Wi-Fi Router that is Compatable with Wii, Laptops(PC), and DS.

My First one(Now broken) Worked with Wii and DS, but not Laptops.
    I had a thread thread then (Points to signature)

The Second and Current one works with Wii and Laptops, but not my DS. This puts a hamper on my desire to reopen my trade thread.

A link to Ebay or Amazon would do, whetehr via PM or Post.

HoneyBubbles

walk this way
    Years
    To be honest, I know almost nothing about computers. I'm not even sure if this question belongs here, but...
    I'm having a little problem with my internet connection. I can get on the internet just fine, but I can't upload any videos or large pictures to the web. I had to save my signature in a .jpg format just so I coud get it on photobucket. This problem started towards the end of August last year. Can anyone tell me what's wrong?

Rukario

Banned
    Years
    your first step is restart everything: modem > router > pc (power back up in that order)

then if you still can't upload, call your ISP's support line to make sure its not there service..

if its not, then you'll need to start on troubleshooting it from your machine.. so post back if you need to dig deeper (after the above is tried)

Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2009
    Can a Nintendo Wi-FI USB Connector for the DS Lite be used for the DS? Thanks.

Cubed

Animal Crossing? IDK?
    Years
    How do I set up WiFi for my DS?

Im sorry if there is a thread allready for this, is so can you post the link?

I dont have an ariel (However you spell is XD). IS that a problem

Cheers...

Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    Okay, so, me and my friend are both trying to battle each other in Platinum. Whenever we make any kind of communication to each other, ie. Trades, Battles, Voice Chat w/e, whoever goes up to the person who hosts always conks out with a 86420 error. I checked the main Nintendo support, they say stuff about firewalls, although MY internet works fine with diamond and my flash cart platinum against other friends. And my friend has turned off his firewall so that's out of the question. Nintendo has crap explanations and I really don't want to ring them.

Halp, plz?

Wish

No spoils for the meek.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2018
    Okay, I just bought a new Desktop, Gateway LX6810. It came with NO wi-fi, so I also bought the Linksys Compact Wireless-G USB adapter to solve that. After installing it, it found my router. When I clicked Internet Explorer, the Internet was SLOW. Even for a first run, no ordinary webpage should take that long. I also tried many other popular websites, which loaded VERY slowly or not at all. I was thinking it was the USB adapter, and was thinking whether or not to return it and get a better one.

And yeah, I placed my laptop in the same place and got very fast connection. :\

Years
    I'm the friend in this post..

Okay, so, me and my friend are both trying to battle each other in Platinum. Whenever we make any kind of communication to each other, ie. Trades, Battles, Voice Chat w/e, whoever goes up to the person who hosts always conks out with a 86420 error. I checked the main Nintendo support, they say stuff about firewalls, although MY internet works fine with diamond and my flash cart platinum against other friends. And my friend has turned off his firewall so that's out of the question. Nintendo has crap explanations and I really don't want to ring them.

Halp, plz?

thought I'd post it again, because no one has answered it yet..

TERRA#493

Competitive Battler
    Years
    Probably here somebody can help me. I have a annoying problem with my WLAN connection.
    How should i explain it? Easily: My WLAN connection seems to be not that stable and has sporadic interruptions. There are no signs before that interruption happens, browsing is fast etc.. I can fix every time this problem with simply "Repair" function (restart WLAN connection), though, its annoying. What to do?

soramararu

Warrior of the Sky
    Years
    Ok, I was wondering, I have been wanting to get on WiFi for a very long time. I used to have the USB cord connector so I can do it. But, I haven't been able to get on since I lost it. So, do you know how to get on wifi from arkansas without using the usb connector? Also, I went to walmart, I found a car charger that connects with usb to the ds. I was wondering if I could connect it to the computer and still WiFi. I just want to get on wifi on my Platinum and battle other trainers.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back