• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Wiicked Cool Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omicron

the day was mine
    Years
    I wholeheartedly agree. Which game is more attractive indeed depends on what each person wants out of the VR experience.

Also, I brought peripherals up because, until haptic gloves and/or suits are available, and we are still very far away from that, they are a necessity for VR.

Crux

Evermore
    Years
    I would admittedly gush if a VR Monster Hunter game was created. Not gonna lie.

To be honest though, if they started out with just simple graphics and heavy player input then it would probably go over very well. There's enough Otaku out there that if you even just made a game with simple anime graphics, and added a deep class and fighting system to it then it would be wildly popular. Hell, I myself would probably spend way too much time playing it.

Other than ARPGs/RPGs, though, I think Fighting games would be amazing as VR.

Omicron

the day was mine
    Years
    I would think fighting games will be very popular too. Something that could work amazingly well but not for use at home, could be VR platformers. Build a large and wide treadmill and use something like the prioVR or a haptic suit when they become available. It could be insanely fun, not only to play but to watch too. I've heard a lot of things about the possibility of VR arcades. Ideally the platformer would be hosted there.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    I would think fighting games will be very popular too. Something that could work amazingly well but not for use at home, could be VR platformers. Build a large and wide treadmill and use something like the prioVR or a haptic suit when they become available. It could be insanely fun, not only to play but to watch too. I've heard a lot of things about the possibility of VR arcades. Ideally the platformer would be hosted there.

Very cool concept, except I don't even want to know what the price of something like that would cost /:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Very cool concept, except I don't even want to know what the price of something like that would cost /:
    That's why the idea of VR Arcades (or VR in arcades) is so interesting! Just like the days when consoles where either too expensive for homes or weren't available/viable for them, VR would be something that people go to arcades for because they're just too expensive for homes or the hardware isn't built for home use.

The concept of revitalizing an older practice with newer innovations is just wild to me. Not sure if they'd still accept quarters, though...

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
    That's why the idea of VR Arcades (or VR in arcades) is so interesting! Just like the days when consoles where either too expensive for homes or weren't available/viable for them, VR would be something that people go to arcades for because they're just too expensive for homes or the hardware isn't built for home use.

The concept of revitalizing an older practice with newer innovations is just wild to me. Not sure if they'd still accept quarters, though...

That would be something; the rebirth of arcades would be a site to see. Would people drive out to a VR arcade? I personally would. It would be cool if like you were in a chamber or something where your environment affected you as well, like if you were fighting a fire breathing dragon hot air would be shot at you, or if you had to swing a sword in high winds you could actually feel the pressure keeping you from swinging at full force. A Shadow of the Colossus-esque game would be pretty damn cool to play in a virtual reality setting like that, as each time the giant steps the floor you're standing on would tremble and shake.

Crux

Evermore
    Years
    Arcades still are popular to a point in Japan, actually!
    I would love to see them get a new breath of life in the western world though.

I don't know that having things actually affect the player would be such a great idea, though. It sounds cool, yes, but what happens when someone has an adverse effect to it? Not only would it cause a mess legally, but the media would have a field day just crucifying arcades, VR, and everything and one attached to the whole incident.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Yeah, there is the whole psychological issue, the idea that if something were to happen to someone in a virtual setting (or any out-of-body experience, such as a dream), the brain would create sensations that would accompany what is being perceived unless there is full acknowledgement that what one is experiencing is indeed not real.

Matrix illustrated this pretty well, and as Morpheus put it, "the brain makes [the pain] real", and despite knowing that they are in a virtual setting, the shock from something like a fatal blow or even a sudden kick to the privates could trigger pain or much worse adverse effects. Of course, it's just a theory since nothing like this is currently possible, but it explains why people can feel pain and emotion in dreams. In a slightly unrelated way, this is how various attractions at amusement parks manage to evoke a feeling simply by having a person perceive something that isn't happening or doesn't exist in the way that the viewer is perceiving it. Obviously, this does present a problem, but again, it's just a theory for now.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
    There's so many games that look interesting that have been released in Japan and probably have no chance of being localized because North America isn't the right market for it \: It's a shame that we're missing out on them unless we import them.

I agree with that, especially when it comes to anime-based games. I really want to play the Attack on Titan, SAO, and Accel World games, but they're all Japanese-exclusive /: Eh who knows, with more and more imports of anime into Western culture, maybe we'll get a game (someday).

Can I just move to Japan now or....?

Fernbutter

Murder is the way.
    Years
    I agree with that, especially when it comes to anime-based games. I really want to play the Attack on Titan, SAO, and Accel World games, but they're all Japanese-exclusive /: Eh who knows, with more and more imports of anime into Western culture, maybe we'll get a game (someday).

Yes you can go to Japan now.

If U.S.A. can just accept the japan culture games into their own, we would have gotten games like that decades ago.

Years
    Yes you can go to Japan now.

If U.S.A. can just accept the japan culture games into their own, we would have gotten games like that decades ago.

On the business end of things though, it's probably not best for Japanese companies to export their games to North America because they would probably be considered the 'niche' market, and wouldn't sell \: There's plenty of people in NA who are accepting and are aware of Japanese culture in regards to anime and video games, it's just a matter of whether it's a smart move or not.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Speaking of that, I just got J-Stars Victory VS, a Shonen Jump fighter. It's my first import, so I'm excited...too excited to open it.

As for the SAO game, it's...okay. It has some good concepts behind it, but its gameplay never really branches out and the only thing that's ever unlocked is new weapon type abilities. I was hoping the next one would be better since it's reportedly more like an ARPG and builds on the previous concepts...but all they seem to be showing is fanservice rather than the actual gameplay.

But things have been going better on the translation front. Thanks to companies like NISA and XSEED, who have the brass to bring over games such as Senran Kagura or any of the Compile Hearts games (which, in the case of the latter, are the most niche of the niche)...and they're selling, more Japanese publishers are becoming more bold and bringing their games over as well, though mostly digitally. I'm fine with that, though, because that means that if a game doesn't sell, there's minimal loss. Sure, it still needs to be translated, but getting things published digitally is much less costly than physically, and I'd certainly rather have a game digitally than not at all. Not too mention that more Japanese games are getting on the PC thanks to the Steam Greenlight and the ongoing indie revolution. Heck, we already have games like Agarest, Dark Souls, and Steins;Gate, I'm hoping this'll continue.

Crux

Evermore
    Years
    You can get a very mixed bag of Japanese games though, which might be why developers aren't as keen to bring them to the west.

Even looking at just the PSP system. On one hand you've got Lord of Apocalypse, an AJRPG, then on the other you've got a whole slew of visual novels. Which, face it, us over here in the west, as a gaming community on whole don't have that diverse of tastes. You know, there will be people who love action games, but never play puzzle games, for example. And that unwillingness to try something new makes niche games stay as niche games.
    That, combined with the fact that the Japanese have a few games that seem really, really disturbing to the majority of westerners (Criminal Girls, anyone?) It makes the demand for games that do 'okay' or just plain adequately in Japan seem to have a bleak audience in the west. Most niche games that were made over there would have a very, very slim chance of being ported, because they were meant to tailor to a niche group of gamers that may or may not even exist over here.

Now, I will say that William is right, more games are finding their way over here. However, some games will likely be a long time coming, or might not even make it over at all. Unfortunately. And as terrible as it is, the west will probably never have as major of a gaming industry as Japan, in that respect.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    Well... it's not that bad unless it's Nintendo system with stupid region lock.
    PSV and PS3 are better in this aspect as you can play JP games even on EU/US system =D

Everyone can =D

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Oh, by the way, I recently found out that there is a way to get just Final Fantasy X Remastered or just Final Fantasy X-2 Remastered rather than both, for those of you who are interested. It takes a little bit of work, but it might be worth it, especially if you're like me and only want one of the two.

By making an Asian PSN (not a Japanese account, though) you will have access to the Asian PSN store. There, you can find various language versions of games (Chinese, Japanese, English, etc.). Because the remaster was released separately on the store outside of the West, you can buy the two independently of each other, and (surprisingly) in English.

Heck, even if you aren't interested in that game, those of you who have a PS3/PS4/PSV should really make alternate region accounts and check out the stores, because both the Asian and Japanese stores have such large and varied selections that they're definitely worth checking out.

...Beware, though...if you look at the Japanese PS+, you may be susceptible to large fits of jealousy.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Europe's PS+ collection is pretty nice so I'm satisfied. We got Bioshock Infinite recently lol

I heard you guys at NA got it rough though. :x

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Eh, we've got good PS+. Gravity Daze, Virtue's Last Reward (which came too late for me too benefit), Infamous 2, Bioshock Infinite, it's definitely good enough that I'd recommend it.

But Japan...I...y'know, I made the Japanese account to buy a single game. Then I came to find out that that game was free last year. The year it came out. Not just that, but they have around...50 Playstation games for free, a much larger PSP and PSV, and that's not even including the PS3/PS4 games. Not that I'm too surprised, but seriously, they're library is HUGE. I won't get it, though, considering that I don't speak Japanese.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
    I got platinum on Virtues last reward recently, its an amazing game, I have bought so many amazing games on PSN, old PSP and PS1 games, I wish they would bring out Chrisi Core in EU though, loved that game.

As for PS+, I already have far to many games and no time, so for me getting it would be a nightmare.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back