• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Wiicked Cool Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Etherion

Hey VG :) I recently downloaded Steam on my new netbook, and I've been hooked! I started playing Card Hunters, I cant buy games yet so I mostly dwell on the free-to-play section XD Do you guys have any suggestions for free Steam games I should play? I'd love to hear them :3

Hit me up on steam, its gio7sm ^^
    Bai~

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Hey there, guys! I know there's a video game recommendation thread somewhere, but I feel this post would get ignored there since the thread is largely dead, I think (at least, I don't see it on the first page at a quick glance, could've just missed it, though!).

So here's the thing: I got a PS4 about roughly a month ago, and I got three games with it already: DB Xenoverse, That J-stars VS game where a bunch of characters from a bunch of anime series are against each other, and that new Batman game. Problem is, I care for none of them sans Xenoverse, which is the only game that I've been playing semi-regularly these days (I maxed out my character essentially, so there's not a whole lot left for me to do, anymore).

So, that all being said, am I really kinda SOL as far as good RPG games go for the PS4? I know that the console is stil new in a way, so there's still more to come, but I'd rather not play remakes again (FFX/FFX-2, I'm looking at you). I also don't mind the DMC-like games, but is the new DMC really worth it compared to the older versions? Generally I don't mind fighting/action-y games, so those recommendations are welcome, too! ^^
    If you have Playstation Plus, get Rocket League. It's free and it is addicting as hell. (And honestly buy it regardless, it's incredible.)

For RPGs, Bloodborne is your best bet. I can't tell you much about it, but it's widely consifered the best game on the system for a reason. For fighting games, Ultra Street Fighter 4 and Skullgirls are your best options (They're cheap too, but you should know what you're getting yourself into as they're not the most accessible games.)

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    There are tons of games out there scarier than FNAF....

Also, what a surprise, Mighty No. 9 got delayed again. Seriously, stop crowdfunding this game. It looks like a piece of shit and it's essentially a pre-order anyway and I think everything that needs to be said about pre-ordering is in this clip:

Spoiler:
    1. No one ever said FNAF was the scariest game ever (and if they did then that's opinion and you should respect that)
    2. Mighty No 9 looks pretty damn good to me! It is sad that it got delayed again, though.

Years
    With its budget, it really doesn't.

It's telling when even Mega Man fans are calling it dull looking.

Yeah, after seeing it...I have no intention of getting that game in its current state. Makes me sad cause I was hoping for it to be hot, and if you look at it pre-kickstarter, it looks garbage in comparison.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Maybe I'm just hopeful. I don't really understand what people don't like about how Mighty No 9 looks.
    Partly because it lacks ambitions and what they showed is far less than what they promised.

Partly because
    Wiicked Cool Daily Chit-Chat

All you need to do is compare it to other game funded by kickstarters like Shovel Knight and Shantae to see why it's falling flat. (And the budget for Shovel Knight and Shantae are far less too)

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    So, that all being said, am I really kinda SOL as far as good RPG games go for the PS4? I know that the console is still new in a way, so there's still more to come, but I'd rather not play remakes again (FFX/FFX-2, I'm looking at you). I also don't mind the DMC-like games, but is the new DMC really worth it compared to the older versions? Generally I don't mind fighting/action-y games, so those recommendations are welcome, too! ^^
    FF Type 0
    SAO
    Transistor
    Bastion

It's still very bad on PS4 in terms of RPGs, though...

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    FF Type 0
    SAO
    Transistor
    Bastion

It's still very bad on PS4 in terms of RPGs, though...
    You're walking dangerous ground recommending SAO. Especially if we're talking about Hollow Fragment.

But really, all of those I'd recommend buying elsewhere. Bastion and Transistor would be better Steam buys since they can get pretty low in price and tend to show up in bundles. Type-0 is cheaper there but I'd imagine it'd take at least a moderately OK build, plus you can't really go the PSP/Vita route, so I can see that one being a pass.

As for SAO, with Re:Hollow Fragment you get a better translation but you also get Hollow Fragment. With the Vita- or even the PSTV (which is consistently super cheap) you get a cheaper game, a hilariously enjoyably bad translation, and Hollow Fragment. Quality's better in the former, but not to the point that I'd say it's worth a buy over the original. And regardless, the game's pretty repetitive. I'd wait for Lost Song. Difference between the two, I'd say, is that the latter seems fun regardless of fandom but there's no way I'd recommend Hollow Fragment to a non-fan unless they were getting the bad/fun translation, 'cause otherwise it can be a slog.

Sir Codin

Yeah, considering what people are getting right now, it's obvious Inafune is a con-artist.

Oh, and, the whole "it's my/his/her opinion" is so overused that sometimes it borders on a logical fallacy.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Oh, and, the whole "it's my/his/her opinion" is so overused that sometimes it borders on a logical fallacy.
    's one of my bigger pet peeves, actually. "IMO", "IMHO", "in my opinion", "everyone's entitled to their opinion", "that's your opinion", "that's subjective/relative"...ohoh, they all steam me up. Opinion is implied 99% of the time- if you're speaking on something relative, it's gonna be an opinion. You have to go out of your way to state something as fact. Worse when the relative nature of something is used as a defense in an argument or debate, which I've seen far too many times, despite the fact that it's rarely used effectively or relevantly.

...But it's so widespread that I generally just don't mention it. It'd just be annoying on my part. I hope it fades out in the future, but it's mostly wishful thinking.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    You're walking dangerous ground recommending SAO. Especially if we're talking about Hollow Fragment.

But really, all of those I'd recommend buying elsewhere. Bastion and Transistor would be better Steam buys since they can get pretty low in price and tend to show up in bundles. Type-0 is cheaper there but I'd imagine it'd take at least a moderately OK build, plus you can't really go the PSP/Vita route, so I can see that one being a pass.

As for SAO, with Re:Hollow Fragment you get a better translation but you also get Hollow Fragment. With the Vita- or even the PSTV (which is consistently super cheap) you get a cheaper game, a hilariously enjoyably bad translation, and Hollow Fragment. Quality's better in the former, but not to the point that I'd say it's worth a buy over the original. And regardless, the game's pretty repetitive. I'd wait for Lost Song. Difference between the two, I'd say, is that the latter seems fun regardless of fandom but there's no way I'd recommend Hollow Fragment to a non-fan unless they were getting the bad/fun translation, 'cause otherwise it can be a slog.
    It just proves that PS4's lineup is weak.

And you should notice I didn't mention Omega Quintet, even though it's on par with FF Type 0 in best on PS4 :P

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
    That's why I'm really hoping that the 2016 line-up for PS4 is gonna be stellar! Ugh.

Whoops. Looks like I got bitten by the android gaming bug again. And holy crud, since when did Google have achievements for games?! *completely missed this being a thing* Now I've got some reason to pour hours into playing Monster Squad!

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
    Between Uncharted 4, Ratchet and Street Fighter V it's looking damn good.

Unless we get delays, which seems to be a trend nowadays.

Delays genuinely scare me. Ugh. All that 'extra polish' bull. Just say the game didn't meet deadlines and needs more time before going gold. Not to mention they usually zap my hype for a game too. Really wished that Ratchet & Clank reboot came out this year but alas after a period of deafening silence it got pushed back to better coincide with the movie.

I wonder how Uncharted 4 will fair. I played 3 and whilst I wasn't completely bought into checking out the series, I could see why it was heralded as another marvel from ND.

Things on my watch list for 2016: Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last Guardian, Shadow Of The Beast, Hellblade, Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth and whenever the God Eater games for PS4 drop.

Also v. interested in No Man's Sky! It seems really interesting to me.

Castaigne

欠 を 食べる
    Years
    • Age 30
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 27, 2016
    PS4 lineup is about as strong as it's going to get for the next couple years. We're probably going to see one good glut ala 2011 PS3/Xbox 360 a couple years before the PLAYSTATION 5 ONLY 999.99/MONTH SUBSCRIBE NOW DLC FOR ONLY 15.99 AN HOUR PREORDER THE GOTY EDITION NOW next generation. Honestly game development is at such a weird phase in its life right now and it's pretty gross lol. We're in the weird transition from silver age to bronze age

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    Gah. Resident Evil 2 is getting remade.

RE0, RE1, RE2, and RE4 (and ofc 5 and beyond) will all be available in HD on Steam soon enough. I don't know if I should be excited because it's RE or upset that they're milking the "older" fanbase. At least the prices for their remakes have been pretty fair, like $20 or something each.
    Aaaaand at least RE2 has never been remade before, and hasn't been ported since the GC, afaik. So it's not like the other 3 that will probably get redone every console gen for the rest of forever.

...Now just confirm remakes for 3 and Code Veronica, pls. Hell, I'd be happy if all I had were 0 and Code Veronica.. they're my favorites. :(

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Gah. Resident Evil 2 is getting remade.

RE0, RE1, RE2, and RE4 (and ofc 5 and beyond) will all be available in HD on Steam soon enough. I don't know if I should be excited because it's RE or upset that they're milking the "older" fanbase. At least the prices for their remakes have been pretty fair, like $20 or something each.
    Aaaaand at least RE2 has never been remade before, and hasn't been ported since the GC, afaik. So it's not like the other 3 that will probably get redone every console gen for the rest of forever.

...Now just confirm remakes for 3 and Code Veronica, pls. Hell, I'd be happy if all I had were 0 and Code Veronica.. they're my favorites. :(
    I don't really see a problem with this. First, if this is a legitimate remake, I don't see anything wrong with it in the first place since an RE game hasn't been remade since...what, the Gamecube days? Two generations ago? Over ten years ago? I wouldn't say that really qualifies it as milking, especially because these days the ways to find and play earlier RE games legitimately are becoming fewer and fewer. Plus RE's not exactly the most popular franchise these days and their last few attempts at making a main game have been...less than successful. At this point, they need something full-proof, and a remake of one of their most popular games would provide just that.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    Anyone looking for some classic shooting goodness, Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior: Redux are both on sale right now, as well as the reboot of Shadow Warrior which is much more modern. And for the cuilders in you, there's also the Tropico Series on sale right now. All on Steam right now. The Duke Nukem Shadow Warrior bundle is like $2.29, guys.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back