• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Wiicked Cool Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I like digital for smaller, ever green, continual pick up and play type games. Acting as apps.

But, overall I prefer owning something actually physical

Yukari

I love owning physical games. Honestly I don't like Digital...

Years
I don't own any kind of digital game \: I find it satisfying to have a bookshelf full of games; just looking at it from my bed makes me feel somewhat accomplished XD What kind of accomplishment? I have no idea.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Yeah, I'm talking about PP, I know about Rebirth being a remake.
While you are right about PP being spin-off, it's not a JRPG. It's classical idol game like Idolm@ster so I wouldn't put it into JRPG category =D

I'd say the Vita's the only system where that's a problem. On my 3DS, I have at least 5 (definitely more) full 3DS games digitally, around 15+ eShop game, and a bunch of DSiware/VC games. I'd say that digital downloads for handhelds are more convenient than any other platform, even PCs. Heck, it's part of what makes me love my 3DS so much.

But the Vita with its crazy storage prices and annoying format, I can see why one would want to go physical. I was lucky enough to get a 16 Gig during a deal.
How much is 3DS internal storage?

I personally prefer physical copies over digital. They may cost less on some occasion, but once you've purchased them, they're all yours; you cannot trade them back in. ): Physical ones do get damaged, but so do digital, if something's wrong with your memory card or hard drive.
I would add one more reason.
If you have friend with the same console, you can lend games to one another if you have physical copies so you don't need to buy everything you want to play if your friend already has it =)

I don't own any kind of digital game \: I find it satisfying to have a bookshelf full of games; just looking at it from my bed makes me feel somewhat accomplished XD What kind of accomplishment? I have no idea.
Exactly my thoughts :D I have no idea what kind of accomplishment is it but I can't give up my physical copies =D

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years

While you are right about PP being spin-off, it's not a JRPG. It's classical idol game like Idolm@ster so I wouldn't put it into JRPG category =D
Oh yeah, whoops :P Hyperdimension just popped into my head, I completely forget that it was a whole other genre.

How much is 3DS internal storage?
I'm not really sure, but the internal's only used for smaller things. 3DS games and the like go on the SD (and because getting a 16 GB SD card is so much cheaper than getting those expensive Sony-SDs needed for Vita, it's far more viable for just anyone to buy one. It's worth noting that, even with all of those games on there, I have unlisted apps, demos, and my 3DS is my dedicated music player. Surprisingly, even with all of that, I lots of space to spare.

And I'll say this: I understand the feeling of accomplishment you are referring to, but you know what? I can't say I feel different about digital downloads.

I take pride in my 3DS library. My physical games are stacked sideways and alphabetized, my limited edition rewards safe in a drawer above them, and my digital games are organized in folders in alphabetical order. I like looking at both, and I feel proud of both. I go to my college dorm from my house every week, and since taking the games back and forth ruins their cases, so I've decided to only take one, which is part of why I've built up my 3DS digital library.

I like to buy my PC games from Steam specifically because that makes it easier to keep them in one place and not have to swap discs, and I still have a boatload of PC games from before I was into Steam (and when I legally acquired the many, many Sims games since the 2000s). I feel proud of both of them, as well.

Consoles...don't really allow for alphabetical order. Honestly, consoles are the one system where I don't care either way. Except in the case of the PS3, where digital games are cheap (or free) a lot, digital downloads for consoles nowadays are hardly viable. I mean, you're going to have your games nearby anyway, and the prices don't even compete with Amazon/used prices. Sometimes they can be good, but in most cases I go physical in the case of consoles for that reason.

And don't get me started on cases. If its physical, it's alphabetized. And it has its original casing. If it doesn't, I'll either avoid buying it or make it get its own casing even if I have to buy it. This is why I don't shop at Gamestop much anymore (well, there are a number of reasons, but...). I still kick myself over rebuying games with GS' horrid used game art. If they do have that terrible art or a broken case, I'll just supply the games with a new one, because while I'm not obsessive over box art, I AM obsessive over games having box art at least remotely related to them.

Also, I buy novelty games physically. Novelty games that I just want to own because they're a part of me or are special to me, like Persona 4 (for the PS2), which I loved to death and regretted selling years ago, and J-Stars VS, because it was my first imported game. I also like Limited Editions/Collector's Editions, and I'll buy physicals should the LE be worth it or the same price as the digital, depending on the system (it's only really a decision on PC and handhelds, on consoles I'd immediately go LE/CE).

...So yeah, that's my piece. Not really a rant, just how I go about the matter.

blue

gucci
Years
I much prefer Physical games over Digital downloads, but I did purchase Animal Crossing New Leaf from the eStore last week.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I've never really gotten a game as a digital download before; all my games are physical copies. Part of its because old habits die hard, part of it is that you need a credit card or something like an eShop card to buy a digital game. I never had a credit card till today, and if I'm already down at the store, I might as well just buy a physical copy of the game I want. I definitely see some merit in getting digital versions of games, especially re-releases of older games.....because Sony decided to not make all PS3s backwards compatible. Though it can still play PS1 games for some strange reason. Don't understand why its not backwards compatible to one gen ago, but is for 2 gens ago.

Kinda wish Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity was availble on PSN.

Years
How frequently do you guys pre order, if that's possible for you? I do it at least a month in advance for things, unless it's a collector's edition

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 23
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
How frequently do you guys pre order, if that's possible for you? I do it at least a month in advance for things, unless it's a collector's edition

Eh, nerver, really. I just wait for the game to come out and get it in a shopping or at Amazon.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
Very rarely do I preorder games; however, I did recently for Dark Souls II because I really wanted that collector figurine. My god, it's huge but I love it!

Years
Speaking of pre-orders, I really wanted the Collector's Edition for Drakengard 3 that was only available on the Square Enix online store mainly because one of the bonuses was the Japanese audio \: I heard negative things about ordering from there though...

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
Debating on whether I should pre-order Murdered: Soul Suspect. It's already 10% off, plus there's a 20% off voucher on GreenManGaming for it, and also with the $15 worth of credits I have saved on GMG will make it only $21 dollars for me, but that'll only be for a PC download and I kinda wanted it on the 360.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Actually... never... the pre-orders I would actually consider getting have enormous shipping and I don't want to pay for two games just to get few additional things I could probably pick up on eBay later.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I do it only when I'm absolutely sure that I want to play this game at the time I'm ordering, which happens very rarely. :( Plus, they'd also have to give me some special offers or discount. Before I buy games, I usually wait a while to see if their prices drop and whatnot, and take my time to watch gameplay videos to interpret if I'd actually enjoy it. Due to all this, chances of me pre-ordering are always at a low level.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Debating on whether I should pre-order Murdered: Soul Suspect. It's already 10% off, plus there's a 20% off voucher on GreenManGaming for it, and also with the $15 worth of credits I have saved on GMG will make it only $21 dollars for me, but that'll only be for a PC download and I kinda wanted it on the 360.

I think it's important to have games on the system you want. Part of the joy of playing them is playing them on the system you want to play them on, and if you don't get it on the right system...will you even want to play it?

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I'm gonna have to agree with Oryx on this. Get it on the platform you want it most for, not where it's cheapest. If you can, and if price is an object, just wait and buy a used copy for cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back