• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Wiicked Cool Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    The reason why backwards compatibility isn't a thing any more is because of the hardware. The PS4 ditched the cell processor the PS3 had, so it can't play PS3 games(at least until gaiki arrives, but that's a streaming service like onlive). It's the same with reason with the Xbone. Newer hardware means you will lose that compatibility.

It should also be noted that Sony ditching the cell processor is a good thing.

I just don't get why Sony stopped making PS3s with backwards compatibility. The first few models had it, then the rest didn't.

And I have all these PS2 games I can no longer play because I have a non-backwards compatibility PS3 and my PS2 is dead...

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • I just don't get why Sony stopped making PS3s with backwards compatibility. The first few models had it, then the rest didn't.

And I have all these PS2 games I can no longer play because I have a non-backwards compatibility PS3 and my PS2 is dead...

Most likely for money. They were probably dishing out the early models of the PS3's and someone was like "Wait, why are we doing this?! We could totally just re-release a whole bunch of PS2 games on the PS3 and make a buttload of money!"

Then they had a mosh and burned all the early models. More or less that's probably what happened.

Years
  • Real reason they discontinued the backwards compatible PS3 was because the PS3 had very poor sales initially and they cut down on features to slash the price dramatically. If my memory is serving me correctly, they removed a few USB ports in addition to the PS2 emulation to bring down the price quite a bit. I do believe its initial US retail was $600.

Years
  • Now everyone's sticking with their PS3 because of Playstation Plus and the generous game library XD I'd be too, but I'm not subscribed to it \: Will probably consider it once we get the PS4 though.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I've been planning to buy PlayStation 4 for a while, but never got around to it. Will get it done within the next two months, though, hopefully. d: How much would I have to pay for PS Plus subscription?

Years
  • I've been planning to buy PlayStation 4 for a while, but never got around to it. Will get it done within the next two months, though, hopefully. d: How much would I have to pay for PS Plus subscription?

Not like there's enough PS4 stock anywhere these days :P Best bet would be to wait until around April to get one. I checked the PlayStation website because I was curious myself, about the prices; for 1 month it's $10 USD, 3 months is $18 USD, and a year would be $50 USD. Which, personally, I don't think is a bad deal because of the games that they offer you every month :D

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • Not like there's enough PS4 stock anywhere these days :P Best bet would be to wait until around April to get one. I checked the PlayStation website because I was curious myself, about the prices; for 1 month it's $10 USD, 3 months is $18 USD, and a year would be $50 USD. Which, personally, I don't think is a bad deal because of the games that they offer you every month :D

That sounds right, it's about the equivalent of the Xbox Live membership. It is a pretty good deal.

I'm personally still waiting for the price of the Xbox One to go down before buying it. It already went down in the UK and they've already made a bundle of the One with Titanfall for the same price as when it came out, so eventually I think it will go down.

What's nuts in my opinion is the price for controllers. $60 for one controller? Are you &%^$*#* kidding me?? That's just stupid.

Years
  • I've been keeping up with everything regarding the console wars and with XB1 already getting a price cut only 3-4 months later is actually quite surprising; I don't recall a console receiving a price cut quite that early in the generation, but I guess Microsoft is in slight desperation to get sales going \: Ugh, controller prices are nuts. That's why I've always only had 1 PS3 controller, but also because majority of my games are single player; I use the GameCube whenever friends are over and they want to play.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    What's nuts in my opinion is the price for controllers. $60 for one controller? Are you &%^$*#* kidding me?? That's just stupid.

Yeah, controller prices are a bit much nowadays. They use to be so much cheaper...I swear that you never had to pay more than $30 for a controller during the GC/Xbox/PS2 era.

Years
  • That sounds right, it's about the equivalent of the Xbox Live membership. It is a pretty good deal.

I'm personally still waiting for the price of the Xbox One to go down before buying it. It already went down in the UK and they've already made a bundle of the One with Titanfall for the same price as when it came out, so eventually I think it will go down.

Wait, the controller price was only bumped up $10 for normal ones from last gen, and is the same price as special ones from last gen? I think it's a miracle they didn't go higher. Quite honestly, I was expecting at least a $15 or $20 jump in controller price.

Omicron

the day was mine
    Years
  • Not only controllers, all the official accessories for the new consoles are very expensive. A rechargeable battery for the Xbox One for $25 and 2 batteries for the Xbox 360 for $20. It is ridiculous.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • Not only controllers, all the official accessories for the new consoles are very expensive. A rechargeable battery for the Xbox One for $25 and 2 batteries for the Xbox 360 for $20. It is ridiculous.

Exactly. Do you know if the Xbox One has released a wired controller yet? I've always preferred the controllers that I can connect to the USB port in my Xbox 360 over the wireless ones, as they always seem to die on me in the most inopportune times.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • So I was thinking about what I like in a video game, and I kinda realised that just because I enjoy a game doesn't strictly mean that it makes me happy, weird as it sounds. I like games like Skyrim, Bioshock Infinite, Borderlands 2, Fallout 3, etc. I really enjoy playing them, but they don't really make me happy. I'm not gonna go deep and meaningful here or whatever but, while I love those games and I really enjoy playing them, sometimes I just wanna play something to make me smile.

What makes me happy is bright, open games where you can just wander around and enjoy yourself. I don't wanna survive a nuclear apocalypse, kill evil dragon overlords, stop a criminal trying to destroy the world with some giant alien thingy, or stuff like that. I'm thinking stuff like FEZ, Thomas Was Alone (I really wanna emphasise this one. I found it incredible), the Chao garden in SA:2, the start of Bioshock Infinite (purely aesthetically, that said; before you start shooting everything in sight I could have wandered around for hours staring at how jaw-droppingly gorgeous the world was), and hell - even Minecraft fits the part. Chill, take-it-easy kinda stuff. Games where there may be a goal, some storyline, whatever, but games that really go to lengths to make themselves beautiful; bright, clean graphics, soothing soundtracks, options to explore without really having to do anything, or just something to stare at and think "wow. Someone with a really beautiful mind made this". That's what makes me happy in a game. I don't really think I've explained myself very well here, but if anyone thinks they might be able to hazard a guess at something I'd enjoy on that front, please do tell me.

also @ controllers discussion above, so as not to break it - I got my Xbox 360 controller for like... £20? Which is still more than I expected to pay, but then again I didn't really know what I was looking for. Works with my PC and does the job just fine. The wire's easily long enough to not be a bother. Wahey!

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I actually get what you mean. One of the primary reasons I play games is to be happy playing them, and that's actually the one reason I prefer say Uncharted over The Last of Us. TLoU failed me as a video game, it does the opposite of making me happy because of its depressing theme, whereas seeing Nathan Drake be a wise ass makes me smile.

Anyway I'm not sure what I could recommend you exactly what you want but I've been playing Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze lately on the Wii U and I just smile doing it. It's actually challenging as hell and you really won't get to explore but the combination of the FANTASTIC art style and BREATHTAKING music alongside the progressive and cohesive nature of the game really lasts an impression on you. Each level has its own story thanks to the art direction and how they tend to be connected to each other.

For example, in the Juicy Fruit world you'll start the first level enjoying the natural scenery and delicious fruits but as you progress you'll notice machines harvesting these fruits and transporting them, and by the end of the level there's even more machinery. The next level you'll start with where you ended in a previous level only this time the fruit is being cut and you'll start seeing the industrial setting and the abundance of the machines, and by the time you reach the next level you're already inside a fruit factory. The next level consist of making juice out of these fruits so that they can be turned into jelly and popsicles which are prevalent the two last levels. In world 2 in each main level background you'll notice a mountain and as you progress through these levels you'll be up higher and closer to the mountain and you'll notice the owl shaped heads on it (similar to mount rushmore in a way). Eventually you reach the boss level only for you to face off against the boss in that same mountain. It's something you can easily ignore and it doesn't add anything to the game but it's very appreciated, and it really makes you wonder if there's another world out there in those levels. The art direction plus the INCREDIBLE music make the happy adventure with the Kongs actually have a lasting effect on you.

Obviously, like I said, the game is strictly in 2D where all of this is mostly the background and you won't get to sit back and explore since the game is TOUGH, but damn if it doesn't make me smile.
    Here's a video if you're curious
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back