• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Wiicked Cool Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • 3DS owners, what are all of the best recent and upcoming releases for the system? I might consider getting Bravely Default, but I want to get a list of the other great games.

Personally, the only games I own so far are Bravely Default, Theathrhythm and Pokemon X all of which are pretty enjoyable, but Theathrhythm could easily get on people's nerves unless you're a nostalgic Final Fantasy music fan like I am :P I've heard good things about Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Legend of Zelda (totally grabbing Ocarina of Time 3D hopefully sometime in the near future), Fire Emblem: Awakening, and like Peitharchia mentioned, the Professor Layton series I heard is a pretty good puzzle game.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • 3DS owners, what are all of the best recent and upcoming releases for the system? I might consider getting Bravely Default, but I want to get a list of the other great games.

For value alone, I would go with Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds.The games that I do own so far - Luigi's Mansion, Paper Mario Sticker Star, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Pokemon X - they're good games but A Link Between Worlds had me hooked right from the beginning. Great plot, great game design, great soundtrack; surprise surprise, it's a great game xD

If you're going for longevity in a game than go with Pokemon X/Y or Animal Crossing. Self explanatoy - those games have you putting in a lot of hours. They're tedious games, but fun nonetheless.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Kid Icarus: Uprising is definitely amazing. I've finished about three times already, and now, I'm currently up to the fourth. Regardless of how many times I play this game, it just never seems to get boring. Games like this are very uncommon. d:

PMG

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Apr 28, 2024
    Kid Icarus: Uprising has been mentioned a few times, but I can't help but also recommend it. It's an absolutely fantastic game, probably one of the best 3DS games out there. Unless you're left handed that is.

I'd also recommend Fire Emblem Awakening. If you haven't played a Fire Emblem game before, this is a pretty good place to start, especially with its casual mode. If you're already into the series, then it's still plenty challenging. I'd say that this is another contender for best 3DS game so far.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I'd honestly avoid Awakening if you're even remotely into strategy games. It just sucks.

On the other hand, if you never played one, go for it. Still wouldn't consider it anywhere near the best 3DS game because it's hugely flawed.

Karma Police

Arrest this man
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    And if you haven't played it on the PS2 yet, try getting Metal Gear Solid 3D: Snake Eater. It's a great game with some brilliant stealth mechanics. On the 3DS it has some slightly clunky controls but it's still worth it.

Euphoric

Indefatigable
    Years
  • Awakening is good if you're just getting into Fire Emblem. Even if you aren't, it's still okay, just it isn't as good as others. The core gameplay and OST are great, but the game suffers from a flawed pairup mechanic and a rather meh story. It's still worth getting though, I recommend it.

The only other 3DS game I have is Pokemon X, which I imagine anyone on this forum has heard of. Probably the next game I'll get is SSB for 3DS.

Also, anyone play Civilization (4/5)?

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Awakening's biggest problem is really the god awful map design.

It's not fun playing on these maps at all.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • When it comes to 3DS games, I currently own nine of them. Course I have owned my 3DS since January of last year.

As for the Civilization series of games, I have played III, IV, Revolution, and V. Course I like the Domination and Space Race victories. The main civs I play as are either the Aztecs or the Germans.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Me, I have about six or seven 3DS games in total. Used to have more, but I was either done with them or didn't feel like playing any longer, so I traded them in for some store credit. Also, I've never played Civilization before, unfortunately. :( Might give it a try, though, if I find it interesting enough.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I have 20 3DS game...holy hell I have 20 3DS games.

Anyway, allow me to derail the thread a bit and express my love for Donkey Kong Country 2 since I just finished a playthrough session.

This game is a masterpiece, one of the best platformers of all time and the best of its era. It's by far my favorite SNES game (Super Metroid is close second although it's the better game...err, I mean best game ever) and it's because of how perfect it is aside from some minor issues. Level design is genius with very well hidden secrets and gimmicks that aren't downright frustrating or distracting from the main game *coughyoshisislandcough*. A master class in game design, which is surprising coming from Rare and DKC1.

Everyone should play it.

Omicron

the day was mine
    Years
  • I have 20 3DS game...holy hell I have 20 3DS games.

Anyway, allow me to derail the thread a bit and express my love for Donkey Kong Country 2 since I just finished a playthrough session.

This game is a masterpiece, one of the best platformers of all time and the best of its era. It's by far my favorite SNES game (Super Metroid is close second although it's the better game...err, I mean best game ever) and it's because of how perfect it is aside from some minor issues. Level design is genius with very well hidden secrets and gimmicks that aren't downright frustrating or distracting from the main game *coughyoshisislandcough*. A master class in game design, which is surprising coming from Rare and DKC1.

Everyone should play it.

I loved Donkey Kong Country 2. I love Donkey Kong 64 even more though. The story is great, graphics are amazing, and playing it is extremely fun.

I own only 4 3DS games. :<

And I've played Civilization III before. I like it.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    You missed two very important things though which are essential for a platformer, level and game design.

Donkey Kong Country 2 absolutely trumps DK64 as a platformer. DK64 just isn't good, because the level design is terrible and it has a lot of questionable game design choices. Banjo Kazooie is a lot better and even that one doesn't come near DKC2's brilliance.

Then again, Rare never made a truly great platformer aside from DKC2. DKC1 is mediocre, and DKC3 is good but not really great, and I really, really don't like their 64 output, ESPECIALLY DK64. I actually wonder what the hell happened with DKC2, it can't be a fluke.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • You missed two very important things though which are essential for a platformer, level and game design.

Donkey Kong Country 2 absolutely trumps DK64 as a platformer. DK64 just isn't good, because the level design is terrible and it has a lot of questionable game design choices. Banjo Kazooie is a lot better and even that one doesn't come near DKC2's brilliance.

Then again, Rare never made a truly great platformer aside from DKC2. DKC1 is mediocre, and DKC3 is good but not really great, and I really, really don't like their 64 output, ESPECIALLY DK64. I actually wonder what the hell happened with DKC2, it can't be a fluke.

False about Donkey Kong 64 (;

The first Donkey Kong Country isn't mediocre, I thought it was really well designed. Each overworld is completely unique. I don't really think that it needed to be ported onto the Game Boy - I've played both and I think the SNES one is superior - but it was still fun nonetheless.

The one thing I will say though about Donkey Kong Country was that the mine cart levels were always a pain to complete. Controls were really finicky and it was very easy to hit a turn overed mine cart or fall off of the map.

And I've played Civilization III before. I like it.
    Civilization III, hands down THE BEST CIVILIZATION GAME *drops the mic and walks out*

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    DKC1 was the very definition of mediocre. Most levels were empty and annoyingly linear and straightforward (or too crazy, floating tires ahoy), and the gimmicky stages were far TOO gimmicky and downright frustrating. It was a very unbalanced game in terms of level design, and for the most part in general the game was very bland and boring.

DKC2 improved on things significantly. There's something new in every level but you won't find something that's completely different from usual, because the gimmicks are well designed and are integrated within the game's design, and not something completely pulled out of nowhere. In fact, they're not really gimmicks in that case, but stuff that makes the game more varied.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • Donkey Kong Country 2 though had a very wonky save system. That's the one thing I will not get from Rare. The fact that you were forced to get banana coins and use those to save your game was very questionable. That, added onto the fact that you couldn't just save at any point but had to reach a Kong Kollege was absolutely stupid.

Not that Donkey Kong Country was any better. You still had to reach Cranky Kong to save the game, but at least you didn't have to collect things along the way to do so.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Yeah, the save system sucks.

On one hand, it actually added to the tension, since getting a game over would mean you had to go back to the last save. It made levels so intense on my first playthrough and I loved that.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • True. But on the other hand, it sucks when your mum is calling you to get in the car and you have no way of saving it so you end up losing all of your progress xD

Never really been a fan of Dixie Kong. I didn't like how they got rid of DK in Donkey Kong Country 2. Even stranger when they got rid of Diddy Kong and put in Kiddy Kong. I think it's just because today we're trained to think that Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong are the faces of the "Donkey Kong universe," but back in the day there really wasn't any kind of consistency of characters. That being said, if I grew up in the time when those SNES games originally came out, I probably wouldn't have a problem with it.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I LOVE DK, he's one of my favorite characters, so I wasn't favorable to Dixie at all.

Playing the game though I liked her a lot. She was very well implemented and she complemented Diddy perfectly. I understand why they replaced him, because he was so inferior in DKC1 to Diddy and it's hard to think of something for him.

DKCR/Tropical Freeze nailed the feeling of DK in a platformer. It feels like you're playing a huge ape and it's so perfect. You can also feel the platform lightening its weight and shaking when DK lands on it. DK Jungle Beat did this too, DK felt heavy and strong as hell when you pull off combos.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back