• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

will 4th gen hacking (d/p/pl/hg/ss) ever replace 3rd gen hacking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerme

stupid
Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    will the 4th gen games eventually take over the current 3rd gen hacking? i know that as of now, never. but i did see tiles/map object placement being hacked, but very early. plus they use 3D objects. and the null data pokemon in 4th gen games are less obtainable (i've gotten slightly far at making it into an actual pokemon that's usable), so inserting custom pokemon might be harder what do you think?

psychicboy

Hacking is all that matters...
    Years
  • Possibly, but nowhere in the near future. 3rd Gen hacking will be used more simply because its much easier. Even when tools come out for the 4th gen, it might take a bit to actually start taking over the 3rd gen.

Poryhack

March 14th
    Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2010
    This question is akin to "Will humans ever colonize new planets?" You can sit and talk about it all you want, but the only answer you can really get is maybe. If people make it happen, it'll happen. If they don't, it won't.

Not sure why this thread was approved because there is obviously not a reasonable answer...

On a mostly unrelated note, there are no "null data pokemon". I only vaguely know how it was in the third generation games, but in the fourth generation there is exactly the number of entries as needed for each pokemon. No more, no less.

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    what is that d/p box? just a glitch?
    so there will be no inserting custom pkmn?

Poryhack

March 14th
    Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2010
    I can't say I've looked into it but it's certainly not a placeholder. It's more likely the screwy result of requesting data that isn't there. Adding pokemon is still possible, it's just bound to be a more involved process then overwriting some placeholder data (or other pokemon, which you can already do).

knizz

Years
    • Seen Oct 28, 2020
    Whether 4th gen hacking will take over 3rd gen hacking only depends on how much time hackers (including you) spend on it. Unfortunately lots of hackers are ... demotivated at the moment and this probably won't change in the next 6 months.

Also 4th gen hacking is harder that 3rd gen because you can't "repoint" data anymore.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • Fourth gen hacking will overtake third gen hacking when there is a tool for every single thing you can do.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • No, and If we want form changing Pokemon, we can only use one form of the Pokemon because it is impossible in Gen 3 games because back then, form changing did not exist (Deoxys forms depended on which Version you were playing), If you want a form changing Pokemon in your game so badly, then use game maker or RPG maker, cause it is impossible in hacking

It is highly unlikely that 4th gen will replace 3rd gen hacking due to the 3d graphics, we are not Nintendo after all, besides, it will be about a hundred years before 4th gen hacking will be possible (by then, Pokemon will be long gone, and we would already be trying to hack Gen 5 and 6, if there will be a 6)

On a mostly unrelated note, there are no "null data pokemon". I only vaguely know how it was in the third generation games, but in the fourth generation there is exactly the number of entries as needed for each pokemon. No more, no less.

Unless we make a tool for that too, and you know that will happen.......

Last edited:

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
  • Gen 3 hacking will always be further ahead than Gen 4 hacking. When Gen 4 has all the tools available that Gen 3 has now, there will be a tool to randomly generate sprites, layouts and trainer data for the Advance games. Then none of the hackers will need help! :D

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    If the resources for hacking the newest generation of games are available, then yes, it would replace the 3rd generation hacking.

But even so, older generation hacking will not be wiped out.

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2019
    3rd Gen is more flexable, and I think it's fun enough hacking these roms. 4th gen is hackable on a small level, I have seen a few hacks around, but its nothing to be excited about yet.

Last edited:

Laras Boyfriend

Neo Trainer
    Years
  • Imagine making just new 3d meshes in 4th gen!
    You will need to use alot like 3ds max,autocad or metasequoia.also 3d buildings in 4th gen have textures instead of sprites... So u need to uv map also that all

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    Lu-Ho will create a perfect map editor for gen4 :D i know it

it wont take over gen3

but it will become popular amongst those willin to take the effort :D

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
  • I suspect it will kind of merge with the 3rd gen, people who are too lazy (or don't have enough free time like me) will hack 3rd gen. While people who are experienced, willing, and able to learn the hex will hack 4th gen.

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    Well, I think the most important thing that makes 3rd Gen hacking popular is AdvanceMap, amirite? So once we have a map editor for D/P/Pt/HG/SS that can do all the functions that AdvanceMap can (the important ones), then 4th Gen hacking will become much more popular.

I think these are the most important features of AdvanceMap that makes 3rd Gen hacking popular:
    *Edit map layouts
    *Rename locations
    *A nice GUI that's very easy to understand, such as when changing OW sprites
    *Built-in wild Pokemon editor
    *Very easy to create/assign scripts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but PPRE can do everything on that list except for the first two, correct? PPRE can change overworld sprites, but it's annoying since you can't visually see which. PPRE can change the wild Pokemon of any map in any 4th Gen game, and PPRE can also edit scripts and move their X & Y locations, correct? I guess it's "hard" since you don't have a visual reference as to where the scripts activate, etc.

So I guess what's slowing 4th Gen hacking is a map editor with a nice GUI. I think it would be easier if people were willing to "keep track" of all the events. I mean, think about it, in 4th Gen hacking, we already can do most of the things that we do in 3rd Gen. PPRE can basically become the AdvanceMap for 4th Gen games, we just don't have a map editor/viewer to combine it with so that we could have some kind of a reference when placing scripts, etc.

I have no knowledge of 3D or anything, but since there's a map editor for Super Mario 64 DS, then that means a map editor for Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver shouldn't be hard, considering Super Mario 64 DS doesn't have grid-based maps.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back