• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Windows, Mac, Or Linux?

Your OS

• Microsoft Windows

Votes: 102 75.0%
  • Apple Mac OSX

Votes: 33 24.3%
  • Linux

Votes: 35 25.7%

• Total voters

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    I have Windows XP as my Operating System, and I am glad I still have it. I heard that Vista wasn't as good as everyone says it was. So I sticked to Windows XP and grateful that they still did updates on it. But now I hearing about Windows 7. Now I heard great stuff about this one. Once I get a new computer I will have Windows 7. Can't have it now because my computer is old and it is slow.

iGaga

I'm your biggest fan
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Nov 20, 2009
    I have Windows XP as my Operating System, and I am glad I still have it. I heard that Vista wasn't as good as everyone says it was. So I sticked to Windows XP and grateful that they still did updates on it. But now I hearing about Windows 7. Now I heard great stuff about this one. Once I get a new computer I will have Windows 7. Can't have it now because my computer is old and it is slow.
    Since when have people said Vista was good? Where was I for this? XD;

I just 'upgraded' from XP to Ubuntu. ; 3

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • I upgraded two days ago. Although the upgrade didn't go well (something screwed something up and it wouldn't boot), I managed to fix it with a live CD install and by mounting / on the drive I needed without formatting. I lost all my programs though, and I lost my internet access... got that back though! :3

It's alright, but the one thing I've really noticed is that the sound is a bit weird - when it plays a sound for the first time in a login, for some reason it "pops" at me. Dunno if that's Karmic or if that's just my computer going crazy on me. :p

It's also been causing me a headache with the proper time and date settings - it likes to change it back, even if your previous time was wrong. I need to keep making sure my BIOS time is correct >_>

Certain programs will also not run, like VBA, which require certain system files to work, which Karmic lacks (stupid Karmic)

Last edited:

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Since when have people said Vista was good? Where was I for this? XD;

Vista was wonderful. You just needed a PC that could run it and a bit of computer knowledge.

I'm currently running 7 quite well on my netbook, strangely enough. I installed it on a second partition just to try it out, and I haven't used XP since.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • 9.10? I've heard it's really buggy. Any problems yet? I'm sticking with 9.04 until all of the issues are fixed.

Yes, in fact, after a day it crashed so I have XP again. XD;

OFC it's buggy, it's an intermediate release of Ubuntu. Use the LTS if you want stable. Or use something that isn't Ubuntu (Arch, anyone?).

Years
  • OFC it's buggy, it's an intermediate release of Ubuntu. Use the LTS if you want stable. Or use something that isn't Ubuntu (Arch, anyone?).
    Stability issues or problems with new or changed features are one thing. Major regressions that were known pre-release are another. I'm not upgrading until they fix this. If they don't... hello Opensuse.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Stability issues or problems with new or changed features are one thing. Major regressions that were known pre-release are another. I'm not upgrading until they fix this. If they don't... hello Opensuse.
    If you think it's different with any other distribution of Linux (or any open source project, for that matter), you've got another thing coming. Regressions happen all the time with open source projects. The Linux kernel itself has had a number of these throughout its history.

Come to think of it, even a lot of commercial programs sometimes have regressions. Windows ME is a prime example of this.

Ashitaka

Spirit of Snorlax
    Years
  • On Vista currently, was on XP for the longest. I've never had a single virus on Win 95, XP or Vista in my 10+ years of using computers daily, so I can only LOL at people who use that as a reason to pay twice as much for a Mac. Tried Ubuntu once, but it was way too different from Windows for me to care about trying to learn to use it, not to mention all the programs I could no longer use (Media Player Classic is about a bazillion times better than crappy VLC, not to mention Photoshop over GIMP and so many others). The only problems I've ever, ever had with computers have been strictly hardware-based (CRT burnt out after years, motherboard shorted, power supply death and mis-packaged RAM causing crashes), never any problems with the OS itself; I've only HEARD about the BSOD. So yeah...Windows.

iGaga

I'm your biggest fan
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Nov 20, 2009
    On Vista currently, was on XP for the longest. I've never had a single virus on Win 95, XP or Vista in my 10+ years of using computers daily, so I can only LOL at people who use that as a reason to pay twice as much for a Mac. Tried Ubuntu once, but it was way too different from Windows for me to care about trying to learn to use it, not to mention all the programs I could no longer use (Media Player Classic is about a bazillion times better than crappy VLC, not to mention Photoshop over GIMP and so many others). The only problems I've ever, ever had with computers have been strictly hardware-based (CRT burnt out after years, motherboard shorted, power supply death and mis-packaged RAM causing crashes), never any problems with the OS itself; I've only HEARD about the BSOD. So yeah...Windows.
    99.9% of the people who say that never had an anti-virus. Yet, an anti-virus is what tells you that you have a virus. Windows itself wont. : 3

Also, you can install Windows programs through Wine on Ubuntu.

Zet

Years
  • Windows can tell you by doing things you haven't done or by being slow and stuff. Also installing WINE on ubuntu? even possible? Gentoo is clearly the God tier of the open source OS

Cartmic

Hi there, it's been awhile.
    Years
  • Windows can tell you by doing things you haven't done or by being slow and stuff. Also installing WINE on ubuntu? even possible? Gentoo is clearly the God tier of the open source OS

You're the only person I know that can't get wine installed on x86 Ubuntu. I've done it countless times without any issues on multiple machines, both the stable version in the repository and development version via WINEHQ.

What happened when attempting to install it? have you tried recently on a recent Ubuntu?

Zet

Years
  • the most recent version of ubuntu I tried installing it on was released a few years ago. I kept getting some error but the download location or something not being found or can't install error.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I'm upgrading my Hackintosh's Windoze partition from XP to 7, which should be sufficient for my hacking needs (XP is a bit outdated IMO). I'd also upgrade it's primary Leopard partition to Snow Leopard, but ever since 10.6.2 came out yesterday, I'm waiting for the gods like netkas or Meklort to patch the 10.6.2 kernel. Alternatively, I could use the older kernels, but that's a little risky.

PhoenixChild

The returned.>:P
    Years
  • I'm more use to Windows. I have never tried Mac, but I think if your the pro type that wants a computer that will take a lot to get a virus into (aka safe computer) then I'd recommend a Mac. It's not easy to get a virus on a Mac. I know this because my friend has a Apple Mac Laptop.

Cartmic

Hi there, it's been awhile.
    Years
  • the most recent version of ubuntu I tried installing it on was released a few years ago. I kept getting some error but the download location or something not being found or can't install error.

I'd defiantly try the most recent version, Ubuntu development moves fast, with big changes each release. The last version I could think of you having issues with it would be something like 6.06(Dapper Drake) or 6.10(Edgy Eft), the most recent release is Karmic Koala 9.10.

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    Vista was wonderful. You just needed a PC that could run it and a bit of computer knowledge.

I'm currently running 7 quite well on my netbook, strangely enough. I installed it on a second partition just to try it out, and I haven't used XP since.

Vista was by no means wonderful.

Windows 7 is the OS Vista should have been. At least Micro$oft saw the error of their ways.

Back