• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Windows, Mac, Or Linux?

Your OS

• Microsoft Windows

Votes: 102 75.0%
  • Apple Mac OSX

Votes: 33 24.3%
  • Linux

Votes: 35 25.7%

• Total voters
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    Hahaha, it's so cute <3 Eureka1 thinks there's axshually a difference between Vista and \7ista! There's not, poppet. But you know what it's not a problem? Because Vista is, and always has been, a great OS. And renaming it has proven that :D

iGaga

I'm your biggest fan
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Nov 20, 2009
    Hahaha, it's so cute <3 Eureka1 thinks there's axshually a difference between Vista and \7ista! There's not, poppet. But you know what it's not a problem? Because Vista is, and always has been, a great OS. And renaming it has proven that :D
    I don't think there is nothing that different between Vista and Seven besides what things are called and what some thigns (ie: the taskbar) look like. Oh, and Seven is faster. It shouldn't be called Seven, more like...SP#. :/

I just installed Vista, to update to Seven later today. : 3

Years
    I don't think there is nothing that different between Vista and Seven besides what things are called and what some thigns (ie: the taskbar) look like. Oh, and Seven is faster. It shouldn't be called Seven, more like...SP#. :/

I just installed Vista, to update to Seven later today. : 3

There were functions added... like the fact that you can now readily set rotating wallpapers with Microsoft's built-in settings options. I find that having it change every 10 seconds is great... now even our computers can have ADHD. And then there're are few new buttons that allow for easier access to things. But the installation process is the same.

I'll get back on some other differences between the two after my class tonight.

iGaga

I'm your biggest fan
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Nov 20, 2009
    There were functions added... like the fact that you can now readily set rotating wallpapers with Microsoft's built-in settings options. I find that having it change every 10 seconds is great... now even our computers can have ADHD. And then there're are few new buttons that allow for easier access to things. But the installation process is the same.

I'll get back on some other differences between the two after my class tonight.

The thing that makes me want it is that all your start-up programs are open and running when you log in. That's just awesome.

iGaga

I'm your biggest fan
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Nov 20, 2009
    ^I turn most of my start up programs off. They even lag my 64-bit Ultimate.
    xD

Well, you have to have some. Like an antivirus. Instead of having a slow computer when you boot up waiting for it to load, it's already loaded.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I might or might not be purchasing 7 over the weekend. It's the first Microsoft OS that I actually want to buy, despite the fact that Microsoft has admitted they stole stuff from OS X.

Story:
    https://www.electronista.com/articles/09/11/11/continues.to.feature.vista.based.core/
    I know the link might not say much about the actual content, but just read the article.
    What's wrong with that? All the Mac folks always say how good its interface is, what's wrong with bringing some of that over to Windows? It doesn't hurt anyone, and just helps people out, right?

Personally, I don't like the Win7 interface. I like my Vista, just like I liked my XP. I'll probably switch to Win7 someday, but I'll try not to make it too soon.

Years
    What's wrong with that? All the Mac folks always say how good its interface is, what's wrong with bringing some of that over to Windows? It doesn't hurt anyone, and just helps people out, right?

Personally, I don't like the Win7 interface. I like my Vista, just like I liked my XP. I'll probably switch to Win7 someday, but I'll try not to make it too soon.
    The fact is, the entire electronic media is moving towards more graphic interfaces. Given the specifications available, they're all likely to evolve similarly. At the end of the day, to provide a good product, you sometimes have to outsource for ideas. I'm not a Microsoft fan, by any means, but I'm not going to bash a company for no reason.

Obi-Wan Jerkobi

Great Party!
    Years
    Got an external hard drive this Sunday to back up my files for installing Kubuntu on my main. I'm going to have Kubuntu until I can get an 80+ GB hard drive for Windows Vista (The 7 RC will probably expire before I can reinstall it) and games. I missed KDE 4.3. I also upgraded the Sidux on my laptop. :3 My Dell Optiplex is running Mac OS 10.4.11 but I'm going to format it and put Debian on it to replace my dying AMD Athlon XP 2400+ server. It was a good 5 years. :(

Lucariotoes

Ah-woo.
    Years
    I've usually used Windows throughout the years... though I must say I've had experience with, and also like, Macs. Apparent immunity to computer viruses FTW.

ExtremeYoshiFan

The Yoshi King
    Years
    Officially I use windows xp. On an old laptop I decided to give Linux a try since windows 98 was slow. Currently it is running ubuntu and puppy linux. They both run faster than windows ever did. I would never use it as a main OS though. There is not enough compatibility with what I use a pc for(gaming).

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2019
    Apparent immunity to computer viruses FTW.

this is not true in any way, just so you know. macs really are no more secure than vista/7. less so in some ways, actually.

oh, and while i'm thinking of it, because i've seen some posts to the contrary, vista was actually a really nice os. some of the issues with its poor "status" among a lot of people are: 1. it was sold with underpowered pcs. oems put pressure on ms to drop the requirements for the "windows vista capable" and "windows vista premium *whatever*" stickers along with the minimum requirements for them to package in vista in general so that they could throw it on underpowered pcs. this was the cause of a LOT of the issues with vista. 2. it's quite a bit more secure than xp and all the xtra popups because of it(mainly uac) annoyed people. uac is an awesome feature(not just for the warnings, but for the registry and program file virtualization, as well), but ms should have made it more granular before adding it to the os. it's pretty much perfect in 7. in vista, it can be adjusted through the registry or the group policy editor, both of which would be beyond the scope of an average user. 3. it's different than xp. to a lot of people who don't like change, this was a bad thing. to anyone with some common sense, it's a really good thing. it really was a vast improvement in many ways. one of the improvements that i find comical at times is the way people(friends/clients/family, etc) ***** about how much memory vista uses. what they aren't understanding is that it isn't just "eating up" the memory, it's using it as a cache and is pre-loading popular apps, among other things. for a decent explanation, go to google and type in: "windows vista memory usage" then go to the first hit. there's a lot more i could go into, but i think that's enough complaining for one night.

oh, one last thing, for anyone calling it "m$" or micro$oft, that's a really good way to get yourself ignored. it's immature and shows a serious lack of understanding of what ms does/is and how their products actually work.

e: wait a minute, you sensor "cursing" here? wow, wasn't expecting that.. also, why would you ever prevent people from posting urls? that's a pretty terrible policy. there's no way you get that much spam.

Zet

Years
    Spoiler:

first of all, it's "censor" since "senor" is completely different and you need 15 posts to post urls

Years
    It's fair enough to say that computers were underpowered for Vista, but therein lies the problem. Vista basically needed brand new hardware or some serious upgrading to run nicely, aside from the fact that pre-SP1 was undoubtedly a pig. Whereas XP could run on systems that were far older than itself, Vista struggles with 1GB of RAM, which was basically top-of-the-line when it was released. The majority of computers released in the months before it was release had 512MB of RAM, carrying the "Vista Capable" label.

I'm not trying to bash Windows or even Vista, but the point here, is that they released an OS that needed brand-new hardware to run properly, and even then wasn't too efficient until the first SP. With Windows 7, at least, it runs on even less specs that Vista does, meaning that users don't have to buy a top-of-the-line system to run it. The fact that it runs so nicely on netbooks is a testament to this. Users should not need to buy new hardware once a year, so when software only runs on the newest hardware, the programmers have essentially been too lazy to work with efficient code.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    Windows 7, at least, it runs on even less specs that Vista does.
    No.
    Windows, Mac, Or Linux?

Windows, Mac, Or Linux?

Now, given there is both "Minimum" and "Recommended" requirements posted for Vista; and only "Minimum" for Windows 7; we must compare the first columns in both cases.

Vista: 800Mhz
    7: 1Ghz
    Vista: 512MB
    7: 1GB
    Vista: 15GB Free
    7: 16GB Free

Where do people get the idea that Windows 7 requires LESS system resources than Vista? XD

Back