• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Winning Battle Tower Teams

DeeJay

Mr. Excitement
Years
  • Hi Folks,
    The last challenge I've set for myself in my H.G. is to get the 100 victories in the Battle Tower for that coveted star on my trainer card. That being said, after many...MANY failed attempts to beat Palmer, I'm almost at the point of giving up. The exasperating mechanics of using the Battle Tower (the saves, the inability to skip scripted sequences, the disqualifications, seeing the same enemies all the time, etc. etc.) has only made things more aggravating.
    So, here I am reaching out to all of you. Those of you who have had the patience and skill to get all 100 battles under your belt, how did you do it? What was your team? What held items/movesets did you use?

Here's my team as of now (all Lv. 50+):
    Alakazam (this one leads each match)
    HP: 150 Attack: 59 Defense: 89 Sp. Atk: 237 Sp. Def: 121 Speed: 173
    Ability: Synchronize
    Moves: Psychic, Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, Signal Beam
    Holding: Focus Sash

Swalot
    HP: 187 Attack: 81 Defense: 105 Sp. Atk: 78 Sp. Def: 90 Speed: 103
    Ability: Sticky Hold
    Moves: Yawn, Toxic, Protect, Hyper Beam
    Holding Black Sludge

Spiritomb
    HP: 124 Attack: 94 Defense 163 Sp. Atk: 97 Sp. Def: 144 Speed: 41
    Ability: Pressure
    Moves: Confuse Ray, Rest, Curse, Protect
    Holding: Chesto Berry

DeeJay

Mr. Excitement
    Years
  • Thanks to your suggestion, I am putting a Snorlax in my rotation, and I probably will put a dragon type of some kind in there. I really like having a ghost with Curse as an emergency option though!

Hatenko

Hiya!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2010
    It was a long time ago but:
    Starmie @ Enigma Berry
    Nature: lol
    EVs: lol
    Psychic
    Thunderbolt
    Ice Beam
    Surf

Gallade @ Razor Fang
    Close Combat
    Zen Headbutt
    Leaf Blade
    Prodect

Kingdra @ Haban Berry
    Surf
    Hydro Pump
    Dragon Pulse
    Draco Meteor

I think this was like a year ago..

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Your team is honestly...no offence, but most of your Pokemon are pretty weak. Not quite suited to pseudo-competitive battling like the Battle Tower.

._.

Garchomp @ Life Orb
    Sand Veil
    252att/252Spe/4HP
    - Swords Dance
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Fang

^ Murders like everything

If you can get this:
    Latios @ Soul Dew
    Modest (well, anything will do I guess ._. considering it's hell hard to get a good Latios without hacking)
    252SpAtt/252Spe/4HP
    - Calm Mind
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Thunder(bolt) <- your choice really
    - Ice Beam/Grass Knot/Hidden Power Fire (once again, hell hard to get without hacking)

This isn't the best set (walled by Magne- without HP Fire) but it deals massive damage to everything, including the aforementioned Magne's.

You might want to include something Sturdy to block those evil haxy Guillotine Scarf Gliscors and stuff that run around when you're really close to 100.

rstevenson1976

The Eevee-Loution Master
    Years
  • I just beat Palmer with:

Jolteon(serious nature)
    holding: zap plate
    moves:
    Rain Dance
    Thunderbolt
    Thunder
    Last Resort

Flareon(rash nature)
    holding: flame orb
    moves:
    Flamethrower
    Fire Fang
    Iron Tail
    Dig

Dragonite(timid nature)
    holding:draco plate
    moves:
    Earthquake
    Fly
    Dragon Rush
    Dragon Claw

but this was after 3 winnining streaks I don't know if you fight him again :P

Cheeky Beaver

@ techloom clause
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2011
    Flygon@life orb
    jolly nature
    252 att/252 spe/4 HP
    U-turn
    Stone edge
    Earthquake
    Outrage

Gengar@ expert belt
    timid nature
    252 spA/252 spe/4 att
    Shadow Ball
    Thunderbolt
    HP fire
    Energy Ball

Umbreon@leftovers
    Calm Nature
    252 HP 112 def/140 spD
    Moonlight
    toxic
    protect
    dark pulse

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
    Years
  • This team:

Garchomp @ Life Orb
    Adamant nature
    EVs: I didn't know about EVs when training this thing, so...
    Swords Dance
    Earthquake
    Outrage
    Fire Fang

Gyarados @ Leftovers
    Adamant nature
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Dragon Dance
    Earthquake
    Waterfall
    Stone Edge

Empoleon @ Petaya Berry
    Unknown nature
    12 HP/252 SpA/244 Spe
    Substitute
    Agility
    Surf
    Ice Beam

This team was basically overkill. >_< Literally nothing could get past Garchomp's +2 STAB Outrage, and any steel types were beaten to the ground with Earthquake anyways. If anything even got through Garchomp, Gyarados/Empoleon usually walled them (Steel and Ice types), set up on them, and finished them off.
    Palmer was too easy.

DeeJay

Mr. Excitement
    Years
  • Well, it sounds like everyone loves a Garchomp...thanks for all the tips. Honestly, my Alakazam does about 99% of the work, but then gets annihilated by Palmer.

Can you tell I prefer the 1 v. 1 of the Battle Hall more?

Project.

Tarot reading;
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Nov 5, 2010
    Garchomp is pretty much the best you'll get in the Battle Tower.

CPUs are too stupid to know what to do. If Gyarados intimidates them all they know is to GET THEIR ATTACK BACK UP.

Swords Dance!
    Swords Dance!
    Swords Dance!

DeeJay

Mr. Excitement
    Years
  • Your advice paid off pretty quickly folks. I took a random Garchomp I traded for (Lv. 60) and threw it in my rotation (with Outrage and the Life Orb). I destroyed Palmer at match 21 first try. My favorite Alakazam finished up after the 'Chomp got knocked out. Check out the results: Battle Video 47-20618-77352

Now, I'm actually training my own Garcomp from scratch and will probably back it up with a Salamence. I knew I was making this too hard before! ^_^

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • whoa what are you on backing up Garchomp with Mence? ._. Both practically share weaknesses (including a massive one to ice which is on like every Pokemon that can run it).

DeeJay

Mr. Excitement
    Years
  • I thought I'd update this thread with my current team (the most successful so far):
    Garchomp (Adamant, "Likes to Fight") [The Physical Sweeper]
    Holds: Life Orb
    Moves: Outrage, Fire Blast, Earthquake, Sandstorm

Metagross (Adamant, "Quick Tempered") [The Tag-In Hit-Taker]
    Holds: Lum Berry
    Moves: Hammer Arm, Meteor Mash, ThunderPunch, Magnet Rise

Gyarados (Mild, "Thoroughly Cunning) [Mop-Up]
    Holds: Leftovers
    Moves: Bounce, Ice Beam, Aqua Tail, Thunder

Now, if anyone still reads this: What might anyone recommend as a better held item assortment for the Metagross & Gyarados? Also, I never use Sandstorm with that Garchomp, so does anyone have a move that might prove useful? He's def. best at physical attacks...Wish me luck. Still shooting for that 100 streak.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • DeeJay, I have a question: what do you plan to do during the battle? What is your strategy?

I want to hear your answer specifically before I criticize your team.

DeeJay

Mr. Excitement
    Years
  • DeeJay, I have a question: what do you plan to do during the battle? What is your strategy?

I want to hear your answer specifically before I criticize your team.

Hi BeachBoy,
    Ok, well I lead off with the Garchomp (I replaced sandstorm with Stone Edge). I try to use any move BUT Outrage at first. If that works, I can usually finish with Outrage.
    If I have to use Outrage and the Chomp gets confused/beaten OR I know someone is going to use an ice move, I switch to the Metagross.
    The Gyarados is my backup and a secondary attacker or water types.

My worry is that my weakest link is the Gyarados. I have been wracking my brain about whether I should train another one focusing on physical, or if something else would make a good replacement...
    I'm also considering giving the Metagross Zen Headbutt again, since I rarely use Magnet rise.

I guess my strategy is to try striking fast and hard, before any kind of status ailment could set in. The Meta gives my attacker a break until he can strike again.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Garchomp wants Swords Dance Swords Dance Swords Dance over Sandstorm. Doubles your damage hell yes.

I can clearly see why your Gyarados is a "weak link". It wants Waterfall > Aqua Tail (10 damage isn't really worth 10 accuracy...) and replace Ice Bad with Stone Edge or Earthquake or something strong and physical. Then replace Thunder with Dragon Dance and you'll beat everything lol.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • Here's the team I used. The Battle Tower is definitely won the best by sending out a strong sweeper with good coverage on the first Pokemon and beating everyone straight off the bat (and taking down walls)...

Manectric @ Choice Specs
    Modest / 4 HP / 252 SpATK / 252 SPE
    Static
    -- Thunderbolt
    -- Overheat / Flamethrower
    -- Signal Beam / Shock Wave
    -- Hidden Power [ICE] / Hidden Power [GRS]

Gliscor @ Lum Berry
    Jolly / 40 HP / 252 ATK / 216 SPE
    Hyper Cutter
    -- Swords Dance
    -- Earthquake
    -- Stone Edge / Aerial Ace
    -- Roost

Metagross @ Expert Belt
    Adamant / 252 HP / 252 ATK / 4 SPE
    Clear Body
    -- Bullet Punch
    -- Earthquake / Grass Knot
    -- Meteor Mash / Grass Knot
    -- Thunderpunch / Aerial Ace

Last edited:

DeeJay

Mr. Excitement
    Years
  • The problem I find if I use stat boosters (like Swords Dance) is that I usually get a stat condition dumped on my lead sweeper (or someone sneaks in an ice move).

I can completely see using a Gliscor...

For that Manectric...is there any sure-fire way to make Hidden Power be Grass?

Perhaps the most irritating thing I see now is guys that manage to land several critical hits in a row...lets one guy wipe out my entire team if the CPU so desires. Anyone else encounter impossibly bad luck in battles like that?

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • The problem I find if I use stat boosters (like Swords Dance) is that I usually get a stat condition dumped on my lead sweeper (or someone sneaks in an ice move).

I can completely see using a Gliscor...

For that Manectric...is there any sure-fire way to make Hidden Power be Grass?

Perhaps the most irritating thing I see now is guys that manage to land several critical hits in a row...lets one guy wipe out my entire team if the CPU so desires. Anyone else encounter impossibly bad luck in battles like that?

Know your defenses. Don't stay in to attack something that can even vaguely use an Ice-type attack (Ice Punch / Ice Fang are common contenders; definitely don't stay in on Ice Shard users), unless (1) you know for a fact you are faster than them and (2) you know you can OHKO them. Don't expect to down Hippowdon @ Ice Fang by using Dragon Claw without Swords Dance, and don't try your luck against Skarmory unless you have ample boost + Fire Fang.

Hidden Power (BOTH type and power) is determined by IVs, so you need to breed for the right type and power.

And yes, I have encountered terrible matches, where I get hit by OHKO moves 3/3 times.

Last edited:
    Back