• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Woman arrested after racist rant on tram

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Stop the crap about free speech, no one should have the right to burst out language like that, in a public confined area, especially with children on that tram. She should have had her child taken away from her, poor thing, she obviously didn't think about him before she started that. She probably thought it was okay to talk such crap because she had a child in her hand. I'd have guessed someone would have attacked her if she hadn't had that child with her, did you see what guy behind her?

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    So, if I were to punch her in the face for it, would she then get in trouble for "starting a brawl"? Obviously I would, but would she? What warrants going 'too far'?

For every action there is an opposite and equal reaction.

AlphaMightyena

A Mightyena Fapper
    Years
  • Woman arrested after racist rant on tram

I can't stand racism. I am sorry but I can't. I would have smacked some black into her, regardless of a child was there or not.

And now I can see why you get arrested for public intoxication.
    Woman arrested after racist rant on tram

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    What a waste of resources and our air.

I can't stand people like this. I feel sorry for her child and her family. People like this just shouldn't have children.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    I'm not saying that I would, but there are those that will. The law is not a failproof shield that protects at all times.

No law really does. All it can hope to do is provide some form of deterrent to make others think twice before engaging in such behaviour. And for certain, the freedom to speak your mind can and does carry with it consequences. I mean, call someone a really nasty name to their face and you could probably expect--at the very least--a slap across the face.

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
  • Free speech is an incredibly sensitive topic, and too many people misunderstand what is meant by "free speech".

Free Speech is the right to state your views in a civil and reasonable manner, regardless of how repulsive or outlandish they may be, and so long as no personal threats are stated.

What this woman was spewing is not, and should not be, classified as free speech. She fails to show any degree of rationality or civility, and her drivel consists of nothing but personal attacks, extremely offensive remarks, and irrational statements.

That said, I do not believe that hate speech is grounds for arrest. It is a good reason to monitor the person and prevent them from harming others, but, though hate speech can and should be censored (though "censorship" has become a dirty word), I do not believe it should be considered criminal.

Therefore, though I believe this woman deserves a swift kick to the teeth, I believe that she should be arrested for disturbing the peace, which she most certainly was doing, rather than her speech.

This woman is simply a bigot, a shallow-minded idiot. If her stupidity was a criminal offense, half of the global population would be behind bars. To play the Devil's Advocate, we have no knowledge of her life outside of this short clip. Perhaps she is simply a bitter white supremacist, or perhaps she was having a horrific day, made worse by whatever the hell was affecting her mind. Honestly, I wonder what would happen if everybody was caught at their worst, and put on the Internet.

She deserves punitive action, but something like this should not merit any serious punishment, not for such a small first offense.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Free speech is an incredibly sensitive topic, and too many people misunderstand what is meant by "free speech".

Free Speech is the right to state your views in a civil and reasonable manner, regardless of how repulsive or outlandish they may be, and so long as no personal threats are stated.

What this woman was spewing is not, and should not be, classified as free speech. She fails to show any degree of rationality or civility, and her drivel consists of nothing but personal attacks, extremely offensive remarks, and irrational statements.

That said, I do not believe that hate speech is grounds for arrest. It is a good reason to monitor the person and prevent them from harming others, but, though hate speech can and should be censored (though "censorship" has become a dirty word), I do not believe it should be considered criminal.

Therefore, though I believe this woman deserves a swift kick to the teeth, I believe that she should be arrested for disturbing the peace, which she most certainly was doing, rather than her speech.

This woman is simply a bigot, a shallow-minded idiot. If her stupidity was a criminal offense, half of the global population would be behind bars. To play the Devil's Advocate, we have no knowledge of her life outside of this short clip. Perhaps she is simply a bitter white supremacist, or perhaps she was having a horrific day, made worse by whatever the hell was affecting her mind. Honestly, I wonder what would happen if everybody was caught at their worst, and put on the Internet.

She deserves punitive action, but something like this should not merit any serious punishment, not for such a small first offense.

While I disagreed that with your belief that hate speech should be censored, I'm curious as to how you would enforce such censorship other than arrest?

She seems to be intoxicated on alcohol and/or drugs to me rather than her being genuinely hateful. She's obviously on something.

I'd also like to quote someone I quoted often. He said that "We don't have a freedom of speech so that we can talk about the weather. We have freedom of speech so that we can say very controversial things." This means that no matter how outlandish, unorthodox, or offensive your opinions are, you have the right to express them. This woman is clearly expressing her opinion on immigration in the UK.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • I'd also like to quote someone I quoted often. He said that "We don't have a freedom of speech so that we can talk about the weather. We have freedom of speech so that we can say very controversial things." This means that no matter how outlandish, unorthodox, or offensive your opinions are, you have the right to express them. This woman is clearly expressing her opinion on immigration in the UK.
    Yeah, she's expressing her opinions. However, she is expressing them in a hateful, violent manner, which is not what you are allowed to do. I'm all for being able to state my opinion, no matter how controversial it is. However, if you use that opinion to be deliberately defamatory - and inflammatory - regarding an individual or group, I believe you should rightly be punished. If she has a concern with the state of the country because of foreign immigrants, she should have the right to complain about it, yes. She should complain by expressing her concerns to people who can do something about it, rather than launching into a loud, explicit tirade on a public tram full of the very people she has an issue with.

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
  • How I would enforce such censorship?

Honestly, you've got me there. The world has gone too interactive to effectively censor anything.

However, I'd like to clarify that "outlandish or unfavorable views" are not equivalent to hate speech. In most cases, it's the method of delivery or phrasing that's inflammatory and hateful, rather than what's actually being stated.

Still, unless they violate other laws, a person should not be jailed because of hate speech. Perhaps increasing fines could be charged, but things get sketchy if the government is able to jail someone for their words alone (with, of course, the obvious exception of the person's words clearly intended to do harm, such as the old example of shouting "Fire!" in a crowded area to incite panic).

But in any case, the video is blown incredibly out of proportion. The woman deserves a hard slap to the face, not international humiliation.

Kung Fu Ferret

The Unbound
    Years
  • Oh, for the love of Arceus.... I despise racist bigots...

Look, I'm the whitest guy I know, but I only am attracted girls who are BLACK... for some unapparent reason.....

Anyways.... I find this woman's comments extremely offensive. I hope she gets a lesson into her thick skull.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    To answer the question to if what she's doing is (or should be) illegal:

Well, why do human societies make laws in the first place? To ensure peace amongst its members.
    What does this woman do?
    Nobody wants to hear her full-hating opinion (or even her formally expressed one, in this and most cases in general) about (black) people, and THEREFORE, she's disturbing the peace.

Like someone said in the front pages, it's best her kid is taken so she gets ahold of herself and stop doing drugs and talk trash.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    What are you even talking about?!

Alice was implying that you only find black girls attractive, therefore pushing all white girls out of the running just because they're white, which is discriminating against white girls in favor of black girls.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    Look, I'm the whitest guy I know, but I only am attracted girls who are BLACK... for some unapparent reason.....

Avoiding the obvious slur... Wouldn't that count as racism as well?

No, because a person's attraction isn't determined by conscious thought. None of us can really control who we are attracted to. All we can do is decide whether to act on that attraction.

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    At the risk of mini-modding, let's try to stay remotely on topic here.

I was, for lack of a better word, debating this video with someone in the comments section of an article a few days ago and I was repulsed that people actually agree with this woman. The interesting thing is that, beyond "It's my British country" or something along those lines, none of the people I was talking to could provide an actual reason for their hate.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • The interesting thing is that, beyond "It's my British country" or something along those lines, none of the people I was talking to could provide an actual reason for their hate.

I'm guessing it's something to do with the economic situation and all too. Jobs are scarce and a lot of people don't take lightly to immigrants coming in and working them. My response to that tbh would be "well get some qualifications and try again like most people who have a half-decent job here", but I'm just throwing it out there.

Not saying that it's right to be hateful because of that, ofc.

Back