• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

World Cup South Africa 2010

Who will win?

• Total voters
Years
  • 2010logo.jpg

With the world cup soon on the way I felt I should make a thread so here it is.

So who do you fancy this year?​

Group A*
    South Africa (Hosts) - Squad
    France - Squad
    Mexico - Squad
    Uruguay -Squad

Group B
    Argentina -Squad
    Nigeria - Squad
    Korea Republic - Squad
    Greece - Squad

Group C
    England - Squad
    United States - Squad
    Algeria - Squad
    Slovenia - Squad

Group D
    Germany - Squad
    Australia - Squad
    Serbia - Squad
    Ghana - Squad

Group E
    Netherlands - Squad
    Denmark - Squad
    Japan - Squad
    Cameroon - Squad

Group F
    Italy (Holders) - Squad
    Paraguay - Squad
    New Zealand - Squad
    Slovakia - Squad

Group G
    Brazil - Squad
    Korea DPR - Squad
    Ivory Coast (Cote d'Ivoire) - Squad
    Portugal - Squad

Group H
    Spain - Squad
    Switzerland - Squad
    Honduras - Squad
    Chile - Squad

And finally, that does it.

Anyway, I'll personally be rooting for England for obvious reasons but if I think if any outsiders could win it then Paraguay & Chile are up there, both have achievable groups and Chile have a very brave style of play.

*Squads can still change

Years
  • I just realized I haven't watched any football since the European Championsship final in '08...
    But, from what I heard, Spain is still playing as good as back then, and from what I saw at that time, I guess they'll win it.

Of course, as a German I should be for Germany because we are so extremely nationalistic in this country, but I think our greatest football days are long gone. I don't think there will be any major successes in the near future.

Years
  • England :P

Naaa....we're never gonna win, are we Nuke?

Personally, as England won't win, I hope Argentina do. For 2 reasons:

1.Diego Maradona WILL get arrested for running around Buenos Aires naked.
    2. I get £50 richer!

Of course, as a German I should be for Germany because we are so extremely nationalistic in this country, but I think our greatest football days are long gone. I don't think there will be any major successes in the near future.

Hmmm....I was thinking if Bayern was the national team. Add Lukas Podolski.

But then I remembered half of Bayern's players are Dutch.Shame, I support Man Utd. and my two other favourites are Bayern and Milan, who both have a semi-rivalry with Utd.

I thought Germany would win the '06 World Cup

Trivia: My brother's birthday is the opening day of the cup.

Years

•     Captain Fabio     No.000042XX

I can't wait for the World Cup to begin.
    It is going to be an awesome summer of football.

I am hoping England will do well.

Left4Dead

Are you mental in the face?
    Years
  • C'mon SCOTLAND... Oh wait.... Haha Why do we have to be so crap? :P
    I'm not here to bash England and say that I hope they get pumped in the World Cup, no, because that's not the type of person I am ;) Seriously though, If I ever say anything about England it's always just a bit of friendly banter :) I hope they do ok, as long as they don't do any better than 2nd place or I'd be losing money haha.
    I couldn't pick just one team. So I put £5 one three different teams haha.
    I put £5 on Argentina to win.
    £5 on Italy to win
    £5 on Germany to win.

I would have picked Spain but they are only 4-1 which means they ARE the favourites but I wouldn't win much back haha.

Years

Well, Spain are strong favourites, but don't forget that Andreas Iniesta, Fernando Torres and Cesc Fabregas are all injured and break like twigs.

I am happy too see them injured because they can really put holes in teams defence.

Years
  • Me and my boyfriend voted Spain because they're talented both individually and as a team, look at the likes of Iker Casillas, Carles Puyol, Gerard Pique, Sergio Ramos, Xavi, Andres Iniesta and David Villa. Then there's Fabregas and Torres who both play in England. (My boyfriends words not mine lol)

Germaniac

Victoria Concordia Crescit
    Years
  • Germany, They are the most compact team, really, England have many good players, but they are not compact, so they lose, GO! GO! GERMANY! I've loved You since my first time watching You!

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years

Well, Spain are strong favourites, but don't forget that Andreas Iniesta, Fernando Torres and Cesc Fabregas are all injured and break like twigs.

I am happy too see them injured because they can really put holes in teams defence.

We still have Llorente to make up for Torres and Pedro to make up for Iniesta. And Cesc is highly likely to be a 30-last-minutes substitute, so I'm not that worried.

I hope we do well, for once.

Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2011
    Spain have by far the best squad. Injuries will count for nothing for them. So don't rule them out becuase of that. However they are well known big tournament bottlers. Whereas the like of Italy and Germany have so much pedigree, always good bets to reach the final. Brazil I feel are overated and they don't play well in high altitudes. So my money is on Holland, great attacking force and with NDJ at the top of his game hopefully he will solidify the team. And it 12/1 it's hard to resist a cheeky bet.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • I voted "not England. Ever". There's too many weak links in our squad for us to mount a serious challenge. We don't have a world class no.1 Goalkeeper, Glen Johnson's our best right-back and he's better at attacking than defending, we still can't seem to find a midfield formation that works effectively.

I was working out the results and I got England to top our group, beat Australia in the knockout stages, then face France in the quarter finals. Should we beat them we'll probably end up with Brazil in the semis - cue lacklustre performances and penalty heartache. Again.

Brazil v Spain in the final for me, two very strong teams and either one could win.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    Group G probably is going to be the most competitive. Brazil and Portugal o:
    I'm leaning towards England this year. Italy and Spain are favorites too. Spain will get pretty far, I hope.

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2010
    I think Spain had the most complete team before all the injuries, but I still think they will do great and have a great chance to take the cup home.

I'm divided for Mexico and Spain, because I'm half mexican and I enjoy the mexican professional soccer league as well. We have always been able to rise to the occasion against teams like Brazil or Argentina, but what has always killed us is the penalties.

Spain is my pick though.

Years
  • I just realized I haven't watched any football since the European Championsship final in '08...
    But, from what I heard, Spain is still playing as good as back then, and from what I saw at that time, I guess they'll win it.

I don't know about that, I feel the German team has alot of quality in players like Schweinsteiger (who I highly rate) and alot of upcoming players in Badstuber, Muller etc. Don't think Lahm or Podolski are too old either are they?

England :P

Naaa....we're never gonna win, are we Nuke?

Personally, as England won't win, I hope Argentina do. For 2 reasons:

1.Diego Maradona WILL get arrested for running around Buenos Aires naked.
    2. I get £50 richer!

You never know, its always nice to hope. I just wish Hargreaves was available, an extra hand in defense by playing him defensive mid would be nice because Johnson is a very attacking right back and none of the wingers seem like the type to constantly track back, they seem rather attacking aswell.

Good luck with your bet but I doubt that Argentina can win with Maradona as boss.

We still have Llorente to make up for Torres and Pedro to make up for Iniesta. And Cesc is highly likely to be a 30-last-minutes substitute, so I'm not that worried.

I hope we do well, for once.

I think Llorente is a good player, if we'd actually buy a striker I'd hope he'd be one option but other people seem to disagree.

Seems to score a fair few goals in Europe.

Spain have by far the best squad. Injuries will count for nothing for them. So don't rule them out becuase of that. However they are well known big tournament bottlers. Whereas the like of Italy and Germany have so much pedigree, always good bets to reach the final. Brazil I feel are overated and they don't play well in high altitudes. So my money is on Holland, great attacking force and with NDJ at the top of his game hopefully he will solidify the team. And it 12/1 it's hard to resist a cheeky bet.

Yeah, exactly what I'm thinking, Spain bottle it quite often and they have the perfect chance to bottle here. Favourites, European champions, all the expectations could add up and they could go home early. Can't see them losing their group though.

I like the look of Holland as well, RVP recently back, Robben & Sneijder on top form. Certainly who I think'll win if England don't.

Would like Chile or Paraguay to miraculously win if England don't just because I tipped them as the best outsiders.

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2013
    I personally think England will do well this year, but I think it'll be Spain or Brazil with Holland my third favourites

Years
  • I think England are in with a chance, best we've had for the past few cups anyways.

I don't really follow football (or any sport for that matter) all that much so I don't really know what to expect from other teams really.

Years
  • I think England are in with a chance, best we've had for the past few cups anyways.

I don't really follow football (or any sport for that matter) all that much so I don't really know what to expect from other teams really.

The likely teams are probably the teams in the poll minus South Africa, USA, Australia, Ivory coast and possibly even Portugal (don't know they could be in with a chance).

The big teams are France, Italy, Brazil, Argentina, Spain & Netherlands and I'd say we & Germany just fall a little off that class.

I think anyone who won outside those eight would be a surprise to everyone (though we'd be surprised if we won) except maybe Portugal as I said.

Back