• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen ~*!*~worst Moves Of 1st/2nd Generation~*!*~

Sweet Candace

So Awesome! /)^ɛ^(\
Years
  • The worst moves in those games:

Flash (Thank God the put the Move Deleter in the 2nd Gen, but he way all the way in Blackthorn)
    Splash
    Tail Whip & Growl
    Confuse Ray & Mean Look (I like them, but when the opponenet uses them, I don't like it)

Crimson Arcanine

The majestic and mythical
    Years
  • Splash, Disable and Constrict - My top 3 of worse moves in the 1st two generations

Sweet Scent had uses but sucked in battle
    So did Flash, it was a little better in the metal generations.
    Bubble and Vine Whip were also very bad moves, Suupersonic is and remains poor and so did most of the multi-turn moves like Pin Missile and Doubleslap

Shinji_

Paul addicted
    Years
  • Flash, Splash,Light screen, ANYTHING that does not ATTACK is dibbed useless to me and I never used those type of moves it's a waste of time I like using brute force who else agrees? :D

Togefan

Toge Master ^_^
    Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2012
    Flash, Splash,Light screen, ANYTHING that does not ATTACK is dibbed useless to me and I never used those type of moves it's a waste of time I like using brute force who else agrees? :D

i agree.i always delete moves like that.

chibi

Advanced Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2008
    Splash, and nothing else, magikarp cant` learn more silly.

Years
  • I also hated that useless move Splash, and Flash as well, because of the fact that other moves, such as Sand-Attack, do the same thing and are more accurate.

In Red and Blue, I hated the move Rage. I'm glad they changed it in Gold and Silver, because in Red and Blue, it caused your Pokemon to go into endless attack mode that you couldn't control or stop until either you or the opponent fainted. I also hated moves like Fire Spin and Wrap - only when the opponent used them, though. If you were slower than the opponent, you literally could not make a move at all. They would just keep trapping you turn after turn and you could not attack. I'm glad they changed those types of moves in Gold and Silver too.

Another move which I found pretty useless in Red and Blue was Teleport. It did absolutely nothing in trainer battles. I'm pretty sure Roar was the same way. I know they changed Roar in the Gold and Silver series, but I can't remember if they changed Teleport.

Oh, and I'm not a fan of most of the HMs either. The only HM I ever teach to one of my good Pokemon is Surf. I just catch these random wild Pokemon to use the other HMs. I agree that Rock Smash should never have been made into an HM.

diamondpearl876

you can breathe now. x
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 25, 2022
    Flash, Splash,Light screen, ANYTHING that does not ATTACK is dibbed useless to me and I never used those type of moves it's a waste of time I like using brute force who else agrees? :D

Agreed, though I use Toxic and stuff like that.

Petal Dance was kind of stupid, too. Endless attack mode, then it caused your Pokemon confusion. x-x

Years
  • Splash, and nothing else, magikarp cant` learn more silly.
    He can actually learn tackle on 15 and flail on 30....

About moves, yeah HM are good only outside of battle (there are few exceptions like surf), splash for me is just data filler...and also moves that are causing sleep and confusion because even with healing items, opponents will use this move again, and again, and again...that's why my fight with Tate and Liza took a hour or so, their pokemon started to use Struggle after a while>>'

nickwarr_182

The Bringer Of Destruction
    Years
  • Actually, now that I think of it, in the third generation and up, Splash might be a good attack if Magikarp is like at Lv. 100.
    You could find a legendary Pokemon, lower it's health with one Pokemon, switch out to Magikarp, and keep using Splash and potions until the timer ball has it's max amount of strength, and BAM! You've gotten another legendary Pokemon!

But then again, it'd be quite a hard time getting Magikarp to Lv. 100.

Years
  • Flash, Splash,Light screen, ANYTHING that does not ATTACK is dibbed useless to me and I never used those type of moves it's a waste of time I like using brute force who else agrees? :D

Fail.

Some of those attacks you say useless are actually pretty good. Light Screen is definitely not useless. It cuts the damage in Special Attacks in half making it annoying for Special Sweepers. Reflect does the same thing except it cuts Physical Attacks in half instead.

Swords Dance is another useful move. When you use it, your Attack power is increased by two stages or by 100% making your attacks do twice the damage. If you can pull off three Swords Dance, your attack power is basically quadrupled. When you give this attack to a Pokemon that already has a good Attack power, their attacks will basically kill any Pokemon in one hit that does not have any kind of resistance to all you Pokemon attacks.

Attacks that reduce your opponents stats are useless though. Stuff like Screech or Charm are easily curable because all your opponent has to do to cure the stat loss is switch out their Pokemon. I rather use attack that reduces stats and does damage at the same time like Psychic.

That's enough of that.

Anyway, besides some of the obvious useless attacks already mentioned in this thread like Splash and a majority of the HM moves, here are some of the worst moves that come to mind.

Focus Energy: In GSC, it was an alright move because it does increase your critical hit ratio. However, in RBY, the critical hit ratio was calculated much differently. The speed of a Pokemon determines the critical hit ratio which basically makes Focus Energy useless.

Any attack that hits an opponent between 2 to 5 times: Moves like Fury Swipes or Pin Missile are awful because they are weak, inaccurate, and the damage is completely random.

Supersonic: 55% chance of confusing an opponent? No thanks, I'll stick with Confuse Ray if I wanted to inflect confusion.

Dream Eater (Stadium Only): The reason I bring this up is because the Hypnosis and Dream Eater combo is nearly impossible to perform in Pokemon Stadium. Is it just me or do Pokemon wake up a lot faster in Pokemon Stadium whenever you try putting them to sleep? Last time I was playing that game a couple weeks ago, I used Hypnosis with a fast Pokemon to put the opponent to sleep about 10 times. More than half the time, the opponent immediately woke up before I can make my next move. I don't if this was fixed in the sequel because I never played it before.

Always and Never

Nick // Always and Never
    Years
  • At lest then, they didn't attack when they woke up.

But yeah, and I remember on a rental pokemon, it had dream eater without a sleep move.

Secret Power. Stupid Unowns.

Apathetic_Yen

very original
    Years
  • I hated Crunch in the old games because it had only 5 PP!! What is up with that? Dark pokemon weren't even that great back then (Umbreon is a wall and can't learn any good offensive dark moves except for Faint Attack, Houndoom's special defense sucked horribly and since water is considered nothing but special, you're pretty much screwed)

But one move I hated was sweet scent. Still hate it today. (wow, you lowered my evasiveness 10 lvs and I'm still going to pwn you)

anemos

Insomniac
    Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2010
    I dont think many people know that sweet scent exists, in game or as a field move, because no pokemon that is cool OR cute OR easy to obtain learns it! and yes, crunch's low pp was a bad idea in gsc.

Back