• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Worst typing that a Pokemon can have

Years
  • There are some good types such as Water/Ground, and Dark/Ghost... the ones mentioned have 1 and 0 weaknesses, respectively.

However, for every good typing there's also bound to be bad ones. What are some of the worst that you can come up with?

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I can't really think of some bad type combos...most seem to already have been done I think, haha. Grass/Normal is pretty bad imo. Grass already has five weaknesses and the Normal typing adds a sixth and doesn't cancel out the Grass weaknesses. Does give it immunity to Ghosts, but is that worth having six weaknesses? I think not!

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2014
    well the idea of rock/ground is pretty weird becasue just stacks on to the already x2 weakness of groung\d and it makes you weak to yourself

Thergox

Average Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2014
    I would say grass/bug would be the worst, seeing as they are weak to about all the same things, and all of those things are very plentiful. My next would be psychic and electric, because that utterly useless combo just adds more wounding opportunities (Fortunately, that hasn't been done yet). The last of what I can think of would be poison and electric, mainly because the designs for something like that would be hideous. Well, that and ground attacks would obliterate it.

Starlight Sprite

Resident Moon Fairy
    Years
  • Rock / Ground is a pretty bad typing and it's a shame just how common it is. The 4x weaknesses make a handful of Pokemon with some pretty good movepools nearly unusable in competitive play. Water/ Flying creates trouble too, as it makes a 4x weakness to Electric (this is one of the few problems that Gyrados has).

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • Offensively, I'd say either Normal, Poison or Grass.

Defensively I'd say the non-existent Bug/Ice typing. It's vulnerable to poison and burn, unlike some other types, and every entry hazard, which combined with a 4x Stealth Rock weakness makes it lose up to 75% of its health upon entry! Bug/Grass is a close second, with the only advantage being its immunity to Leech Seed. Otherwise its combination is walled offensively by any Fire, Flying, Poison or Steel type.

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
    Years
  • Rock/Fire is pretty awful, poor Magcargo. Double Weak to Water and Ground, two of the most common typings, and weak to Fighting and Rock. But the resistance to Fire, Ground, Flying, Ice, Bug and Poison must be rather nice.

It's sad they gave so many weaknesses to Grass, one of my favorite types, and now they're said to be one of the worst types in the game, save maybe for Posion.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
    Years
  • I always thought Grass/Flying was a bad typing. a X4 weakness to ice, not to mention all those added weaknesses. It's catastrophic :P

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    In my opinion, ice/grass is an awful combination. Fire, ice, fighting, poison, flying, bug, rock, and steel are all super-effective against it. That's a total of seven weaknesses, which is a lot! Psychic/grass is also a bad combination. This type combo has seven weaknesses, too. Thankfully, only three Pokémon have this combination (Exeggcute, Exeggutor, and Celebi).

Sirfetch’d

I'd agree that Ice/Grass is the worst type combination due to so many weakness and a double weakness to fire which is one of the most common types.

Years
  • I'd agree that Ice/Grass is the worst type combination due to so many weakness and a double weakness to fire which is one of the most common types.

Same as what he said, Grass/Ice may look like a fun typing, but that unfortunate amount of weaknesses totally limits its potential in battle, same with Grass/Psychic, and if the "Fairy strong against Dark" rumor is true, Grass/Dark. Rock/Ground and Fire/Ground as well due to being extremely weak to Water, and also Grass in the former and Ground in the latter. And also Steel/Rock which has 4x Ground and Fighting weaknesses.

And any type combination 4x Rock weak shows that almost any Pokemon of that type will never make it into the OU tier.

Zero°

Mirai Nikki
    Years
  • Ice/Flying is a pretty bad type combination. x4 weakness to rock and also being weak to fire, electric and taking normal damage from ice and fighting. I don't think this type combination is resistant to any attacks besides grass-type moves and immunity to ground.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I agree with Snowdrop; Fire/Rock is a terrible typing. No useful resists outside of Normal, Fire and Flying, and a bunch of common weaknesses make it bad.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Ice/Rock.

Dragon/Ice since it has redundant coverage. Kyurem suffers with this.

Tyranitar's type (Rock/Dark) is pretty bad defensively as well, but Tyranitar himself is so boss that it doesn't matter.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    Ice/Flying and Fire/Flying, no question.
    For as long as Stealth Rock is as prevalent as it is in competitive play.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Grass/Bug, Rock/Ground, Psychic/Grass, Ice/Rock, Grass/Normal, Fire/Rock, Ice/Grass, pure Electric (they're usually fragile speedsters), Psychic/Rock, Dark/Grass, and any duo type that grants it a 4x Rock weakness (because of those sneaky pebbles).

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Rock/Fire is pretty awful, poor Magcargo. Double Weak to Water and Ground, two of the most common typings, and weak to Fighting and Rock. But the resistance to Fire, Ground, Flying, Ice, Bug and Poison must be rather nice.

It's sad they gave so many weaknesses to Grass, one of my favorite types, and now they're said to be one of the worst types in the game, save maybe for Posion.

Macargo is x4 weak to Ground as both Fire and Rock are weak to it.

In my opinion, ice/grass is an awful combination. Fire, ice, fighting, poison, flying, bug, rock, and steel are all super-effective against it. That's a total of seven weaknesses, which is a lot! Psychic/grass is also a bad combination. This type combo has seven weaknesses, too. Thankfully, only three Pokémon have this combination (Exeggcute, Exeggutor, and Celebi).
    Ice is neutral against an Ice/Grass Type.

My thoughts? Really, its not so much the type as the Pokemon themselves. Sure their types can be a hinderence when you consider Stealth Rock since it does raw damage but everything else would be calculated based on that Pokemon's stats.

Some I saw mentioned have some useful Pokemon associated to those types.

Personally, going by combination alone, anything with 2 or more x4 weaknesses is horrible for me. One x4 is practically crippling enough, more than one almost makes them useless depending on how common the weakness is.

As for an actual combo, I'd have to say Fire/Psychic. Really only two Pokemon have this, Darmanitan and Victini. No one uses Darmanitan due to gimmick to get him into Fire/Psychic. Victini only proves my point that type isn't as important as the Pokemon individually...flat 100's straight down would give even the crappiest type combination a fighting chance.

Now reason I think Fire/Psychic is horrible resides solely in the current Meta. Rock, Ghost, and Dark type attacks are all really common. Latter two as Pokemon that pretty much just wall the Psychic half.

The only decent thing about the combination is Steel and Psychic resistance as both are also common. Thoughthose two resistances don't really balance out the weaknesses.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    I'll have to say Fire/Rock is one of the worst typings, it honestly puts Macargo off. I mean, Water/Ground = KO.

Then a Grass/Ice and Grass/Bug. I mean the big problems arise when it's Grass type put front, since it has a whopping 5 weaknesses and it combined with a non-supplementary type... bam.

Additionally, I suppose Grass/Psychic also puts me off a lot, despite my favourite Pokémon Celebi is of that typing. I do hope they change it to Grass/Fairy, it fits Celebi way better. And it removes a ton of weaknesses.

Back