• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

WRITE/SPEAK NORMALLY OR DONT SAY ANYTHING AT ALL!!!!

Years
  • I can't even stand improper grammar, so how can i stand this? I don't mind when people use "u", but I get slightly irritated when people use "wat" etc, it is a sign of laziness.

Years
  • I'm in limbo.

I can type liek dis and stuff lyke dat, but i normally type with grammar, with minor irregularities that are just for ease, and no capitals:

example: lol. far i'm bored but idk what to do lol.

idk = i dont know.

stuff like that lol.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
  • I ttly do nt get whatz you meen. I ttly theenk dis talk is off da hook and sould be used by everyonez.

Nah its not too bad but irratating.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I don't really care anymore. Anything's fine be me so long as it's readable. And seeing as I used to tipe lyk dis b4 i jind da 4ms I can understand chatspeak perfectly without having to examine a sentence for a long period of time. On forums I'll usually type with proper grammar, and on MSN it'll be rare for me to use capitals and apostrophes. The only time I can't put up with it is when people are killing the English language in a fan fiction of a roleplay, but I hardly ever venture into the PFF or the RP forums anymore, so it doesn't really matter to me.

SonicThrust

Ice Cream <3
    Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2013
    I always try to type with proper grammar (I can't promise anything when it comes to spelling without a spell check). Some of my friends in highschool are now English majors and their grammar nazi ways made sure I always type properly on MSN. The only time I ever even consider short forms is when texting since I'm so slow at it XD.

Generally when people use chat speak it comes off as lazy to me, like they aren't really putting any effort into the conversation.

Miss Soupy

o v e r d o s e
    Years
  • I can't say I really mind all that much. :/ The cases where it's been so horrible I couldn't even read a single word have usually turned out to be trolls in my experience. All other times I could at least make out a few words.

However, cht sp33k is clearly not the way to go if you want to look mature. It makes you look lazy if anything.

Lo-chan

Seme Dara will get you :o
    Years
  • Ugh, I hate when people type like that D: But I'm use to it because a lot of my friends, where English isn't their first language, type in "chatspeak" because it's easier for them. I'm not a grammar nazi, so I don't try to correct them. Not to mention, I'm not even sure if they care how they type. I use "chatspeak" when I'm joking or for words like "wtf" or "lol".

Last edited:

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
  • I tend not to respond to those types of messages/posts if I don't have to. Obviously people are able to speak fine English here, I don't see how taking 5 more seconds to actually type correctly is going to hurt anyone >.<

Cherry.

魔法の真実
    Years
  • My other friends uses " Acronyms " to speed up typing like " TIA " which means Thanks in advance. Yes it's pretty annoying. >:-( But i don't mind it. =P

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    It sort of bothers me, as I like proper grammar, but as long as I can understand them, it's not worth raising a fuss. It's the Internet. Not everyone talks the same way. It happens.

Pretty much that. :/

(rant time! 8D)

Yet, at the same time it irks me when people ask others why they bother typing correctly. They'll be like "Why do you bother typing correctly online? That stuffs for school assigments!". I've seen people ask that multiple times, but the most recent was at one point when Sakurah (PC username) and myself were playing the Shin Megami Tensei MMO.. Yes, everyone knows that MMOs are mostly commonly filled with people who type like they're four-years-old, but that's not what bothers me. xD;

One of the guys started an argument about how people who typed using proper grammar anywhere online were stupid, no life, virgin, Star Wars geek, losers. >_> Yeah, those were all the insults he used. I found it sort of sad, because typically people who do type with good grammar, think that same way of those who use chat-speak. :/ I think it's really sad that so many kids these days don't care about typing, or spelling things out correctly. Apparently now it's to the point where some of them think you're stupid if you do type your words out. Seriously..

So it's like two different sides of a war..

'Back in my day', chat speak wasn't around when I was learning how to type. So we didn't have any short cuts. I had to type out my words, and that was it. xD; I'm not going to dumb myself down, and try to type like I didn't pass 4th grade English. -sigh-

Anyhoo.. I'll shut up now. ~ 8D;

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
  • I don't particularly enjoy reading posts that contain txt-speak, but I'm far from the grammar police. As long as it's clear what you're saying, and I don't have to think about it anymore than I would normally, then go ahead.

Still, txt-speak doesn't particularly look good for you on the internet unless you're in a chat client. So, why not just take a little bit of extra time and actually have your posts respected and properly understood?

RockmanEXE

Unova?
    Years
  • Like my sister? She doesn't know how to type properly and she's 15.

hay guyz im aboat 2 get mai nailz dun.

Yingxue

Since October 2003
    Years
  • It doesn't really bother me, because I'm not a pedantic nerd. I type how I want, they type how they want. If it hinders their ability to actually write/speak properly, then sucks to be them.

Years
  • I HATE it when people type like that! I can understand it well, but it gets old very fast. It sometimes wants to make me yell out at the person to write normally.

Unfortunately, there are A LOT of people on Deviantart who write like that. Mostly the one who are 13-year-old morons who use MS Paint to make crappy Sonic the Hedgehog recolors and act like they are all high and mighty.

No wonder there is no hope for the Sonic franchise with people like that.

Caelus

Gone
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2013
    It bothers me when people type like that, but Its not a big deal.
    I just think they're just not putting in enough effort.

If its really messed up then that's completely different.

Sublime

Blimey!
    Years
  • hatehatehateHATE.

It's one of my pet peeves. I simply cannot stand it when someone formats there sentences with text speak.

I do admit, I'm guilty of throwing out a few text speak things like "ttly/totez" or "ppl" or something, but that's just to add a bit of light feeling to the sentence. It's not like I drown my sentences with them, so yea. XD; [/minorhypocrite.]

Back