• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A (Read First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    hey there this will be my first playthrough of x and my first post here ever!! and i had a team set up using marriland team builder,

i am looking into advice and criticism on the pokemon, their potential to be useful and typing, like for example instead of lets say diggersby is good or bad due to typing and rest of pokemon.\and also how they cover each others weaknesses, or dont cover, i would just like some critisim

oh and i would like to have all 6th gen pokes, i wanna try out all new ones, i know there are always better choices in typing but what better way than to keep all new in my team :) thanks everyone

first is starter: delphox: fire/psychic
    talonflame: fire/flying (will be replaced with something else but need something to fly, sugestions appreciated)
    Heliolisk: Electric/normal
    Clawitzer: water
    aegislash: ghost/steel
    pangoro: fighting/dark (or Diggersby: ground/normal (has huge power ability only reason i can see him useful)
    Tbh, just about anything even remotely planned out will get you through the game, so long as you have your HMs covered and aren't underleveled. You aren't gonna wanna use Diggersby tho on your run; Huge Power is what makes it good, but you can't get a Huge Power Diggersby until the post game. Talonflame's not bad either, but its best with its Hidden Ability, Gale Wings (which you can't get until post game as well. It'll be fine on your playthrough, but if you're looking for alternatives for a Fly-mobile, Hawlucha (if you are ok with two Fighting types instead of 2 Fire types) and Noivern (if you can wait until late-game) are good.

You can also follow the link Nurse Joy posted to go to the Battle and Team building section and post in the In-Game Team Help subforum for additional help.

Years
  • has diance already been released in us?

did I miss her or any other event pokemon? I got the torchic and celebi and that's it so far. some how I miss event pokemon left and right and I really don't wanna miss any in x and y :p

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    did I miss her or any other event pokemon? I got the torchic and celebi and that's it so far. some how I miss event pokemon left and right and I really don't wanna miss any in x and y :p

Nope, it hasn't been distributed yet. Diancie's going to available sometime around October, I believe. Well, at least in the US, anyway. d:

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • In the Pokemon Amie lower screen, is there a way to control whether you're gifted Poke Puffs or furniture? I only want Poke Puffs. There seem to be times in which I get streaks of either Puffs or furniture so I wanted to know if anything like walking influenced it.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Can someone convince me if which ability to breed onto Spritzee? I already have a Sprtizee with Healer, a Quiet nature and Heal Pulse and plan to use it as a support healer and it has the IV spread of 31/31/31/31/31/00 (which is exactly what I wanted) but then I hear more about the Aroma Veil ability and it seems pretty good and it's Spritzee's signature ability so I kinda want it for that, but upon reading the description of the ability, it only affects Taunt, Torment, Encore, Disable, Heal Block and Attract so I'm thinking Healer might over all be more useful as it affects Burn, Freeze, Paralysis, Posion, Sleep, and Confusion, so I'm genuinely stumped. Can anyone convince me of one ability over the other? and with justifications other than "smogon says so" please? ;-) I really like Healer, but I kinda want Aroma Veil solely because it's Sprtizee's signature ability.

Years
  • Can someone convince me if which ability to breed onto Spritzee? I already have a Sprtizee with Healer, a Quiet nature and Heal Pulse and plan to use it as a support healer and it has the IV spread of 31/31/31/31/31/00 (which is exactly what I wanted) but then I hear more about the Aroma Veil ability and it seems pretty good and it's Spritzee's signature ability so I kinda want it for that, but upon reading the description of the ability, it only affects Taunt, Torment, Encore, Disable, Heal Block and Attract so I'm thinking Healer might over all be more useful as it affects Burn, Freeze, Paralysis, Posion, Sleep, and Confusion, so I'm genuinely stumped. Can anyone convince me of one ability over the other? and with justifications other than "smogon says so" please? ;-) I really like Healer, but I kinda want Aroma Veil solely because it's Sprtizee's signature ability.

I think from what I've heard, Spritzee/Aromatisse's preferred ability in the competitive scene is Aroma Veil. I know it's useless in singles, but the ability to block its partners from moves like Taunt (which can sometimes cripple their strategy) can come in handy when you're doing doubles or triples. Pretty useful if Aromatisse's partners are susceptible to Taunt.

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2016
    I need help with a Chinese Nickname for MienFoo/MienShao

I decided to go with Mien Foo/Mien Shao as one of the Pokemon in Pokemon X. I am lucky that I won't need to worry about gender because English just uses the sound of Chinese characters, so the same name can go for either gender. However, I am just unable to come up with a Chinese name. Is there anyone good at this that can help?

As a side question. Does anyone know why you can't name one of your Pokemon Viola? Is it because you can't have the same name as a Gym Leader?

Miau

If I fits...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2022
    I decided to go with Mien Foo/Mien Shao as one of the Pokemon in Pokemon X. I am lucky that I won't need to worry about gender because English just uses the sound of Chinese characters, so the same name can go for either gender. However, I am just unable to come up with a Chinese name. Is there anyone good at this that can help?

As a side question. Does anyone know why you can't name one of your Pokemon Viola? Is it because you can't have the same name as a Gym Leader?

Well, since Mienshao's concept revolves around the Chinese opera, maybe if you search that on wikipedia, you can find a good name. For example, Shuixiu is what they call the long, flowing sleeves used in Chinese opera, and it means "water sleeves". Or search for Chinese names on baby names websites?

And you can't use "viol" in a Pokemon's nickname, because its' a censored word, it means "rape" in French. There should be a list of censored words somewhere on bulbapedia or serebii, but I don't want to link to something like that here.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I think from what I've heard, Spritzee/Aromatisse's preferred ability in the competitive scene is Aroma Veil. I know it's useless in singles, but the ability to block its partners from moves like Taunt (which can sometimes cripple their strategy) can come in handy when you're doing doubles or triples. Pretty useful if Aromatisse's partners are susceptible to Taunt.

Can someone convince me if which ability to breed onto Spritzee? I already have a Sprtizee with Healer, a Quiet nature and Heal Pulse and plan to use it as a support healer and it has the IV spread of 31/31/31/31/31/00 (which is exactly what I wanted) but then I hear more about the Aroma Veil ability and it seems pretty good and it's Spritzee's signature ability so I kinda want it for that, but upon reading the description of the ability, it only affects Taunt, Torment, Encore, Disable, Heal Block and Attract so I'm thinking Healer might over all be more useful as it affects Burn, Freeze, Paralysis, Posion, Sleep, and Confusion, so I'm genuinely stumped. Can anyone convince me of one ability over the other? and with justifications other than "smogon says so" please? ;-) I really like Healer, but I kinda want Aroma Veil solely because it's Sprtizee's signature ability.
    Aroma Veil is, and always will be, the superior ability for Aromatisse in singles or doubles. It still protects Aromatisse from Taunt, Encore or the like (these things cripple walls from doing their jobs otherwise).

In other words, Aroma Veil works for Aromatisse itself regardless of battle format.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2015
    Is there any need for berries, i've read on websites that some pokemon like sour berries or sweet berries but I don't know which one is which

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Is there any need for berries, i've read on websites that some pokemon like sour berries or sweet berries but I don't know which one is which

Some berries do have purposes in competitive battling:
    -Sitrus and Lum Berries combo well with Harvest users (like Trevenant and Exeggutor)
    -Lum Berries also pair well with Pokemon with setup moves
    -Pinch berries (Petaya, Salac, Liechi) are useful for Substitute Pokemon aiming to forcefully trigger the boosts

In-game, they're viable substitutes for medicines in Poke Marts.

In regards to flavor, here's a flavor list with examples in parentheses:
    -pink = sweet (Mago Berry)
    -green = bitter (Aguav)
    -yellow = sour (Iapapa)
    -blue = dry (Wiki)
    -red = spicy (Figy)

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    Is there any need for berries, i've read on websites that some pokemon like sour berries or sweet berries but I don't know which one is which
    To add onto what Platinum said, there's also berries that decrease EVs and increase happiness. These berries are: Pomeg, Kelpsey, Tamato, Qualot, Hondew, and Grepa.

As for the taste of berries, this page will tell you the flavors of each berry: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Berries_by_flavor

It's only up to Gen 4, but the flavors are pretty much the same for each Gen, and that should cover most of the currently obtainable berries. Which flavor a Pokemon likes depends on its nature. This page will tell you which nature likes/dislikes which flavor: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Natures

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2015
    Some berries do have purposes in competitive battling:
    -Sitrus and Lum Berries combo well with Harvest users (like Trevenant and Exeggutor)
    -Lum Berries also pair well with Pokemon with setup moves
    -Pinch berries (Petaya, Salac, Liechi) are useful for Substitute Pokemon aiming to forcefully trigger the boosts

In-game, they're viable substitutes for medicines in Poke Marts.

In regards to flavor, here's a flavor list with examples in parentheses:
    -pink = sweet (Mago Berry)
    -green = bitter (Aguav)
    -yellow = sour (Iapapa)
    -blue = dry (Wiki)
    -red = spicy (Figy)

To add onto what Platinum said, there's also berries that decrease EVs and increase happiness. These berries are: Pomeg, Kelpsey, Tamato, Qualot, Hondew, and Grepa.

As for the taste of berries, this page will tell you the flavors of each berry: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Berries_by_flavor

It's only up to Gen 4, but the flavors are pretty much the same for each Gen, and that should cover most of the currently obtainable berries. Which flavor a Pokemon likes depends on its nature. This page will tell you which nature likes/dislikes which flavor: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Natures

Thank you, I never really used berries, all I do is just harvest them so I've got loads lol

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2014
    National Pokedex question

So when you are completing the pokedex I know you need to catch every pokemon. But say I traded my charizard from an earlier game does this mean only charizard will be in the pokedex and not charizard and charmealon really need to know can't find the answer anywhere :/

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2015
    If you transfer a Charizard over, you will still need to find a way to obtain Charmander and Charmeleon.

Also, in case you didn't know this, to complete the National Dex, you do not need the data of Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Shaymin, Manaphy, Phione, Arceus, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Diance, Hoopa or Volcanion.

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
    Years
  • Ok another question as I wasn't expecting this to happen. I done an update (I know I didn't need to) but it told me it was time, so I done it on both of my 3ds's, on now for the 2nd part of it, I have 1 1 Y game and 2 X games, well I only use one of my X games to trade and clone with for now, when I (but only) when I need some thing from my 2nd X game it has the (what i call) my cloning (trash pokes on) and vise versa when I put in my 1st X game, ok now for my question, I have 3 micro sd cards, is there a way to use the one 3ds that I use for my X game with out switching games ever time and that happaning?

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • Where can I find XY models/videos that show the animations a pokemon have when they're tapped in their summary screens? In particular, I want to show friends how Keldeo spins while standing on his front hooves.

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
    Years
  • Where can I find XY models/videos that show the animations a pokemon have when they're tapped in their summary screens? In particular, I want to show friends how Keldeo spins while standing on his front hooves.

Well if I am not mistaken, that is both X and Y all you need to do is click on the pokemon and then click on it's summary and it will jump or what ever that particular pokes does, as for Keldeo I am not sure if it has to be a certain form or not.

Years
  • Geosenge Town, Pokemon Y

So I've just arrived in Geosenge town. I've read walkthroughs of Geosenge town, and it says Team Flair should be there when you arrive, but when I got there, nobody was present. I've gone around the whole town (Which didn't take long) and I've talked to everyone, but I can't seem to progress at all. Team Flair won't appear. Would anybody happen to have some helpful tips? C:

I could really use some help here, people :c

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back