• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A (Read First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    How do you get ribbons? I got a pokemon with a Shock Ribbon and another with a snooze ribbon. How do you get these ribbons? All I find online is just the most basic information (given to you on certain days of the week, for example) is that all you have to do? Just talk to some person on a certain day of the week to get these ribbons, or do you actually have to do something with that pokemon first?

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    How do you get ribbons? I got a pokemon with a Shock Ribbon and another with a snooze ribbon. How do you get these ribbons? All I find online is just the most basic information (given to you on certain days of the week, for example) is that all you have to do? Just talk to some person on a certain day of the week to get these ribbons, or do you actually have to do something with that pokemon first?

Yep, it's as simple as that. There's a woman that appears in a different hotel on each day of the week, and if you talk to her she gives you a ribbon.

thanks

how exactly do you check your pokemons ha ability btw? most of the technical and mathematical side of pokemon is completely foreign to me because ive always been the kind of player to catch and level pokemon that looked cool to me instead of building an army of perfect super soldiers lol

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/ is a good site for finding out that kind of information. Hidden Abilities are Abilities that are only obtainable in X and Y through catching Pokemon in the Friend Safari, or trading. Each Pokemon has a different one, so just look up the particular Pokemon on Bulbapedia to find out its Hidden Ability.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    What pokemon have egg moves that aren't obtainable in X and Y? I know there's Scyther that can't learn Defog without a compatible parent learning the Defog HM in a previous game then passing it on via breeding or simply send the one that learned it to X or Y and breeding that, but does anyone know if there are other moves that are like this? (listed as an egg move but no comatible parents can possibly learn it unless from an older game)

Xerneas_X

Raven
    Years
  • What pokemon have egg moves that aren't obtainable in X and Y? I know there's Scyther that can't learn Defog without a compatible parent learning the Defog HM in a previous game then passing it on via breeding or simply send the one that learned it to X or Y and breeding that, but does anyone know if there are other moves that are like this? (listed as an egg move but no comatible parents can possibly learn it unless from an older game)

There's quite a few.. too many to list and to think on top of my head, but one example is Iron Tail which is pretty much only available through move tutors in B/W or TM in previous gens before that, both of which are not available in X&Y except on a handful of pokemon.

Anyways, just look up any Pokemon you're wondering about on Bulbapedia, go to the bottom of it's page and it will list all the moves it can only learn from breeding and the father it gets it from, go to those father's page and you may see a few of those moves it only learns from "move tutors" from B/W or TMs not available in X&Y

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    There's quite a few.. too many to list and to think on top of my head, but one example is Iron Tail which is pretty much only available through move tutors in B/W or TM in previous gens before that, both of which are not available in X&Y except on a handful of pokemon.

Anyways, just look up any Pokemon you're wondering about on Bulbapedia, go to the bottom of it's page and it will list all the moves it can only learn from breeding and the father it gets it from, go to those father's page and you may see a few of those moves it only learns from "move tutors" from B/W or TMs not available in X&Y

Are there ANY move tutor moves that are egg moves? Aren't move tutor moves a completely different thing than egg moves?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I was wondering is there a way to get mew or jirachi in pokemon x? Can i catch them? Please help a fellow trainer out.

Neither Mew nor Jirachi are obtainable in X/Y. They must be transferred via Poke Transfer from past games. Events for them were released in the past, but they're over now, though you can get a Mew from Pokemon Ranch by depositing 999 Pokemon in it.

Xerneas_X

Raven
    Years
  • Are there ANY move tutor moves that are egg moves? Aren't move tutor moves a completely different thing than egg moves?

Move tutor moves can become egg moves in some cases.. if you had a male pokemon who learned a move from a tutor in B/W then bred them, it will pass it on to it's offspring if it's one that can learn it through breeding, even if that offspring is of a different species, so an egg move that's not available in X&Y for certain species in other words :P

Iron Tail is an example of a move learned from a tutor in B/W and can be passed on to offspring of the same or different species in X&Y which otherwise they couldn't learn by any other method in X&Y as it's unavailable to them or couldn't breed with the handful of Pokemon that learn it from leveling up (i.e. Aron).

Cameo

Superior heat protecter!
    Years
  • This is actually pretty embarrassing but I've been playing X & Y since they were released and until now I didn't have any idea that Gyarados was retyped into Water/Dark in it's Mega Evolution. :D Lol.

And yeah, I need to ask but in order to complete National Dex do I really have to have own every single Pokémon or is it enough if I just see them? :P

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    This is actually pretty embarrassing but I've been playing X & Y since they were released and until now I didn't have any idea that Gyarados was retyped into Water/Dark in it's Mega Evolution. :D Lol.

And yeah, I need to ask but in order to complete National Dex do I really have to have own every single Pokémon or is it enough if I just see them? :P

Yeah, you have to have owned them at some point. Seeing isn't enough. Fortunately, all the event-only legendaries are excluded from completion of the National Dex.

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016

You need to have owned them I'm afraid. It might sound tedious having to breed/evolve everything, but it's not too bad.

EDIT: Too slow :P

Cameo

Superior heat protecter!
    Years
  • Well, I have been playing Pokémon games since 1999 if I remember right when the anime started here in Finland so I don't find it anyway hard to complete National Dex. :D It may take some time though but it'll be worth it and I haven't really been bored even a second since I started playing my X-version. All the graphics and the overall beauty of those games just makes it easy to play it hours straight.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Move tutor moves can become egg moves in some cases.. if you had a male pokemon who learned a move from a tutor in B/W then bred them, it will pass it on to it's offspring if it's one that can learn it through breeding, even if that offspring is of a different species, so an egg move that's not available in X&Y for certain species in other words :P

Iron Tail is an example of a move learned from a tutor in B/W and can be passed on to offspring of the same or different species in X&Y which otherwise they couldn't learn by any other method in X&Y as it's unavailable to them or couldn't breed with the handful of Pokemon that learn it from leveling up (i.e. Aron).

Sorry do you have a link or anything because Iron Tail was a TM from Gen 2 - 4 so anything that had it as an egg move just wasn't changed when that move became a move tutor move. It's like Scyther and defog, you need a compatible parent who was taught that move via HM from gen 4 then passed on up. They're not moves that were move tutor moves that are also egg moves, they're HM/tm moves that were egg moved then when that move was removed from the TM/HM list then became a move tutor move that still is the egg move. Sorry to keep on this, but surely a list must have been compiled somewhere, there's got to be a better method that going through the history of every single egg move of 300 - 400 pokemon lines just to see which ones trace back to a th/hm/move tutor from gen 4 or even gen 3. Is there any links that are a little more comprehensive?

Also, speaking of lack of clarity, does anyone know how much the berries heal your HP? There's numerous berries that are listed as being able to restore your HP but will cause confusion if the pokemon hates the taste, yet the sites don't seem to actually state by HOW MUCH HP is restored. To me, "restore" means full HP recovery while "recover" would be a small amount, but surely these berries don't restore that much, do they? Does anyone know? Thanks!

Xerneas_X

Raven
    Years
  • Sorry do you have a link or anything because Iron Tail was a TM from Gen 2 - 4 so anything that had it as an egg move just wasn't changed when that move became a move tutor move. It's like Scyther and defog, you need a compatible parent who was taught that move via HM from gen 4 then passed on up. They're not moves that were move tutor moves that are also egg moves, they're HM/tm moves that were egg moved then when that move was removed from the TM/HM list then became a move tutor move that still is the egg move. Sorry to keep on this, but surely a list must have been compiled somewhere, there's got to be a better method that going through the history of every single egg move of 300 - 400 pokemon lines just to see which ones trace back to a th/hm/move tutor from gen 4 or even gen 3. Is there any links that are a little more comprehensive?

Also, speaking of lack of clarity, does anyone know how much the berries heal your HP? There's numerous berries that are listed as being able to restore your HP but will cause confusion if the pokemon hates the taste, yet the sites don't seem to actually state by HOW MUCH HP is restored. To me, "restore" means full HP recovery while "recover" would be a small amount, but surely these berries don't restore that much, do they? Does anyone know? Thanks!

As for a definitive list of eggmoves not available in X&Y or only available by transferring a pokemon from previous gen into X&Y, i don't think such a list exist.. as you said it best, there's hundreds upon thousands of pokemon/moves that someone would need to create a list for, so it probably wouldn't ever be done, especially since a "list" was never done for any previous generation game either... so the only option really is to look up each individual Pokemon which you are planning on breeding for and check what eggmoves they can learn, etc.

As for berries, Oran berry = 10HP, Sitrus berry = 25% health, then those berries that can heal but may cause confusion if they don't like it are 12.5% health. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Berries#In_Generation_VI

Sitrus Berry is the best choice.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Does anyone know if you rename your pokemon with a nickname, then change it back to its original name. when it evolves do it keep its original evolves name or the evolved name?

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Does anyone know if you rename your pokemon with a nickname, then change it back to its original name. when it evolves do it keep its original evolves name or the evolved name?
    It will have the newly evolved species's name. Must be in the coding somewhere that if the nickname = the species name, then the name will change.

Years
  • Does anyone know if you rename your pokemon with a nickname, then change it back to its original name. when it evolves do it keep its original evolves name or the evolved name?

I think it's the latter, I tried something like that before and if a Pokemon is named back to its species name, it'll change to that of the evolved form when you evolve it.

Edit: Greninja'd again. At least you have your answer now.

Years
  • It will have the newly evolved species's name. Must be in the coding somewhere that if the nickname = the species name, then the name will change.

I think it's the latter, I tried something like that before and if a Pokemon is named back to its species name, it'll change to that of the evolved form when you evolve it.

Edit: Greninja'd again. At least you have your answer now.

Thanks for answering, tryed to breed some hidden power pokemons and wanted to put there iv on there names. So I could change it back in case I trade them away.

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2014
    Does the change in the speed stat after mega evolution take effect the same turn?
    For example would a Medicham evolving out speed a 95 base speed stat opponent?

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    Hai pipol~

I got a question that hopefully someone can answer.
    On my 3DS homescreen, the PKMN X icon has a small blue circle on the bottom-right of the icon.

What does it mean?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back