• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A (Read First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

εcho.

The silver ninetales
Years
  • To make the Masuda Method work correctly, the Pokemon have to be generated on different region cartridges. Even though you can choose the in-game language, it's mainly the region of the actual cartridge itself that ties into this. Like say, you breed a Pokemon that was generated on a Japanese cartridge of the game with one from a US cartridge.

It's been like that in previous games as well, but given the language selection this time around it did leave some a bit confused. So yeah, it's still done the exact same way as previously. You just need Pokemon from cartridges of different regions.

Ah, that makes sense, thank you! Yeah, the languages had me confused heh.

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2016
    Bank was released in Japan, but even so, you can't be certain of legitimacy.

You can look very closely to see if it appears legal though. My Kyogre I got off the GTS was apparently hacked for sure.... But my Shiny Darkrai I got in a trade appears to have been legal(does not mean it was not hacked... but if it was it was a good hack).

Keep in mind too that most legends are likely cloned(which most people do not mind anyway). Probably cloned in Gen IV/V then once they have made it to Gen VI people have found ways to clone in the current generation. If you do not want a cloned Pokemon you have to either really trust your trading partner, or wait until the Pokebank is released to the rest of us and transfer over your own legendaries from your copies of the games. For my own collecting purposes I accept clones as valid.

Unfortunetly, the status screen will only tell you what region of the Pokemon world they came from, and not tell you where they were met. Learn what levels the Pokemon you are looking for was able to be caught at (for example: Dialga/Paklia/Giratina were all available at Level 1 in HG/SS). One thing I have seen is a lot of the Johto beasts at Level 30. They were only available at Level 30 via an event, and hence with an event ribbon should not be able to be traded on the GTS. Most likely you are only going to discover that a particular Pokemon was hacked once you have already traded for it and it becomes too late, as Nintendo lets you see so little information via the GTS before commiting to the trade.

My advice is to look up a Bulbapedia or Serebii information about each legendary, you will find which games they were available in, and at what levels. When you have traded for a Legendary, I recommend you take it to the stat check. If all stats are perfect I would be suspect, especially with Gen III or Gen IV caught Pokemon. Hoenn Pokemon that are perfect are "possible" but required someone to leave they GBA/DS on overnight to have a chance to catch, and at that only very few natures were possible. If it says was a Kanto/Hoenn roamer from gen III they HP can be as high as 31, but Attack can be no higher than 7 and all other stats will be 0.

Ultimately, you need to ask yourself how badly do you mind a hacked Legendary? If you are dex filling, and hoarding them for a trophy, then a hack shouldn't worry you too much. if you plan to trade with others and not cheat someone else out of a decent Pokemon, then you probably will want to spend that much more time looking at all things that might make a particular Pokemon a hack. Anything not caught/bred in x/y has the potenyial to be a hack.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    You didnt need Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Keldeo Meloetta and Genesect for the charm right? And gratz on the charm am woking on mines now after I got all the other legends completed on my dex.

Not sure about Phione though, since that little thing's easy to get.
    But yeah, I didn't need the others to get the Shiny Charm. :3

I got a question though.
    In the PSS, are the pipz' names there their in-game name or Mii(?) names?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    So, yes, EVs can be obtained via Exp Share in X/Y (and you can hold a Power item too).

Also, EVs cap at 252 no matter what method of EV training you do. When I've EV trained 2 stats to the max (via horde EV training), I always have an extra 6 leftover. 252+252+6=510, and 510 is the max for total EVs.

So just to be clear, the Pokemon does NOT have to appear in the battle then, right?

Also, 252 is the cap even when EV training by normal battling? Someone else said it was only capped through ST.

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2014
    Is 5 perfect IVs enough?

Hey guys,

I just breed a 5 perfect IV Greninja with Protean. The perfect IVs are:

HP
    Attack
    Defense
    Special Attack
    Speed

Special Defense is at 12 IV. I have a Naive nature on this pokemon. My question is, should I continue to breed to get the 6th perfect IVs? I plan to try some WIFI battles and would rather keep going if that is what is needed. Thank you!

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    Depends on your planned moveset. I would probably go with it though. I'm biased to the Timid myself, I personally don't like mixed attackers.

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2014
    I was thinking:

Ice Beam
    U-turn (thus the higher attack)
    Hydro Pump/Surf
    Water Shuriken (?)

I picked 2 water moves so it doesn't seem like its a Protean Greninja, sort of catch them off guard. What do you think?

destinedjagold

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    I was thinking:

Ice Beam
    Hydro Pump/Surf
    Water Shuriken (?)

I picked 2 water moves so it doesn't seem like its a Protean Greninja, sort of catch them off guard. What do you think?

If you'll use a Water-type move, wouldn't Protean change Greninja's type to pure water?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I was thinking:

Ice Beam
    Hydro Pump/Surf
    Water Shuriken (?)

No. Water Shuriken is not worth using. Physical Greninja is not worth using at all. Its special moves have higher damage output, while Greninja's physical Attack isn't high enough to make use of its physical moves:
    -Hydro Pump/Surf
    -Ice Beam/Dark Pulse
    -Extrasensory/Dark Pulse
    -U-turn
    Nature: Naive
    EVs: 4 Atk/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Protean

or
    -Spikes
    -Hydro Pump/Surf
    -Ice Beam
    -U-turn/Extrasensory
    Nature: Naive
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash

And I'm pretty sure you were referring to Froakie, since Greninja is its final form.

If you'll use a Water-type move, wouldn't Protean change Greninja's type to pure water?
    Yes it does.

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2014
    Good point. I'll stick with Surf, and another move I think. What about the 5 IV thing? Do you guys think I should keep going for 6 IVs, or are the IVs with the nature I posted before enough?

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2021
    So just to be clear, the Pokemon does NOT have to appear in the battle then, right?

Also, 252 is the cap even when EV training by normal battling? Someone else said it was only capped through ST.

No, it only has to be in your team when the Exp Share is on. The cap is 252 regardless of the EV training method (ST, horde battles etc). The ST will even tell you that your stat is maxed out. So if you're unsure if you have 252 in one stat, do a ST level and if you don't gain any new EVs, you know it's already 252, basically.

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2014
    I'm currently IV training a feebas and I'm a bit concerned with its ability. I need it to be Marvel Scale, so when Milotic evolves what ability does feebas need to get Marvel Scale?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I'm currently IV training a feebas and I'm a bit concerned with its ability. I need it to be Marvel Scale, so when Milotic evolves what ability does feebas need to get Marvel Scale?

Do you mean EV training or IV breeding? Because those aren't the same thing.

In order to have Feebas evolve into a Milotic with Marvel Scale, its ability as a Feebas should be Swift Swim.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    I get network connection issues ALL the time. Literally every time I trade with someone (via Internet) we get disconnected after one or two trades (sometimes before the first trade) with a network connection issue. Does this happen often to anyone else? It's very frustrating and it also interrupts my chance to add them as a friend.

Speaking of which, why, after I've traded with an Acquaintance (which means I've done something with them at least twice), do I sometimes not get offered to add them to my friends?

Thanks.

Years
    • Seen Feb 10, 2014
    I have a charmander I bred and when I look at it in the PC BOX on the top screen SAys
    Attack: 6
    Defense: 6
    SP att. 6
    sp def 6
    speed 6
    wat does this mean
    the other charmanders
    are all like

Nothing has 6 in everything, does this mean I have a 6IV Charmander? Are perfect iv charmander?

Ahem, no one answered this question of mine

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    Ahem, no one answered this question of mine

There's not really much you can deduce from that information. Based on the comparison you made with other Charmanders, I would guess it has higher IVs than average in some stats, but you can't say anything more than that. Visit the IV Judge in Kiloude City to find out more about its IVs. He's the guy with purple hair in the Pokemon Center.

destinedjagold

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    So, I got a question.
    You know how when we are now cancelling a trade, the screen goes black?
    Well, my 3DS was stuck on that black screen for god-knows how long. The background music was still playing though. So, yeah, I was forced to force-shutdown my 3DS.

Though I did noticed that I canceled the trade at exactly midnight, or when the clock struck midnight. So that's maybe it.

Has anyone experienced this as well? =/
    Or maybe is this worth reporting to GF or Nintendo?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back