• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    abilities are random, you can't really breed for it, as are IV's, so you're right, just gotta keep trying, could take some time

That's not really correct. Abilites aren't random, there's only 1 - 3 abilites a pokemon can have so the abilites have anywhere from a 33% - 100% chance of being what you want ;-) But in all seriousness, if the female has the Protean ability, your offspring have a 60% chance of getting the hidden ability.

Ivs are also not random with the Destiny Knot, as 5 are being passed down from both parents in any combination. If you are using the Destiny Knot and none of the parents IVs are 31, it will just keep passing the imperfect IVs around while that 1 X factor gets randomized. If you bred multiple parents (using Dittos from the Safari Zone or catching a bunch of Frogadiers as anything from the Safari Zone has at least 2 perfect IVs) then you should be fine, just keep track of what is being passed down. Here is a video explaining it in greater detail https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CtLqTc8IaM

So getting back to the original poster, yes, you are very much on the right course as long as the one with the nature you want is holding the evestone. (and it looks like they BOTH do, so you're fine!) yes, you are very much on teh right course. it may take a few eggs, but with that spread it certainly won't take as long as starting from scratch! Any chance I could borrow the parents when you're done? I'll give them back when I get a froakie with teh same spread

iTeruri

iAm
    Years
    Yes, you're doing it right. Every IV you want is covered between both parents and the female has the ability you want. It can take some time, however, but that's just because there's chance involved. I suggest breeding unti you get a 5IV Protean female Froakie, so you can use that female and any 5IV Froakie to breed more 5IV Protean Froakie if you ever need them in the future.

Lokhlan

Formerly "Tendo"
    Years
    So getting back to the original poster, yes, you are very much on the right course as long as the one with the nature you want is holding the evestone. (and it looks like they BOTH do, so you're fine!) yes, you are very much on teh right course. it may take a few eggs, but with that spread it certainly won't take as long as starting from scratch! Any chance I could borrow the parents when you're done? I'll give them back when I get a froakie with teh same spread
    Hmm, is it odd then that I've been breeding for hours trying to get the exact IV spread I want but instead I keep getting Froakie's with either 3 or 4 of the perfect IVs I need, but never 5 IVs? This is my first time seriously trying to breed competitive pokemon and I guess I'm shocked at how long this is taking. Is the length of time I'm experiencing normal once you reach the final leg of breeding?

I don't mind trading you the parents when I'm done, so long as you do trade them back. My friend code is in my sig. :)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Hmm, is it odd then that I've been breeding for hours trying to get the exact IV spread I want but instead I keep getting Froakie's with either 3 or 4 of the perfect IVs I need? This is my first time seriously trying to breed competitive pokemon and I guess I'm shocked at how long this is taking. Is the length of time I'm experiencing normal once you reach the final leg of breeding?

I don't mind trading you the parents when I'm done, so long as you do trade them back. My friend code is in my sig. :)

Well, I guess technically if the females Def and Speed are passed on and one of the other stats gets randomized it is possible to get 3, so I guess it's not THAT quick. Are you taking all the eggs or are you saving right after you accept/reject and egg and if it's not what you want, reset, reject the egg, save and try again? (I don't know if this method changes teh spread necessarily, but at least you won't be getting swamped with eggs)

Lokhlan

Formerly "Tendo"
    Years
    Well, I guess technically if the females Def and Speed are passed on and one of the other stats gets randomized it is possible to get 3, so I guess it's not THAT quick. Are you taking all the eggs or are you saving right after you accept/reject and egg and if it's not what you want, reset, reject the egg, save and try again? (I don't know if this method changes teh spread necessarily, but at least you won't be getting swamped with eggs)
    Hah, I haven't been using the save method but I'll definitely start using it now that I'm aware of it. lol

I feel like I'm doing something wrong since it's taking so long. I just assumed having one parent with 4 of the perfect IVs I want with the Everstone and another parent with 5 perfect IVs I want holding the Destiny Knot would net me the exact spread I wanted fairly quickly but it seems that's not the case. =X

Phangy

Master
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2014
    if it's not a 100% of one thing, it's random, and no pokemon has just one ability as far as i know. as i said, the only thing you can do is keep trying until you get what you want, you're not guaranteed anything when breeding, just like in real life

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
    Destiny Knot only pulls 3-5 IVs chosen from either parent... and they can be the same ability chosen for each, so you only end up getting babies with 2-3 IVs each.

I have a Timid Protean Froakie with those stats. If you haven't bred one yet, I'd be willing to trade :)

Years
    What you could do if you really want the speed to pass on is to give the parent with the perfect speed power anklet and the other the destiny knot. The problem than is that the nature will not pass on (and it's still not guaranteed that the stats of your choice will pass on) but you have some higher chance to get the perfect IV spread. But then again if you want the perfect pokemon (with the perfect nature) just keep breeding, it will take some time but you will get there!

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2016
    Hello!

I have a question about the GTS. I thought you could look up any pokemon even if you hadn't "seen" it yet on your pokedex, but turns out I can only search for pokemon I have already seen...

Or did I get it wrong? :/

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    Hello!

I have a question about the GTS. I thought you could look up any pokemon even if you hadn't "seen" it yet on your pokedex, but turns out I can only search for pokemon I have already seen...

Or did I get it wrong? :/

There's an option at the bottom of the alphabet list called "What Pokemon?" that lets you type in any name.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2014
    Once pokebank is released and I get my giratina, shaymin, etc. will I still be able to change their forms or do I have to change it in the original game before transferring over?

EDIT: Oh yeah another question, is there a way to check my gen IV and gen V games for any illegal pokemon? I remember when I played diamond (a long time ago) my friend had an action replay and he always got me all of the pokemon I wanted. Now that I got older and realized what a mistake it was to mix in AR pokemon with legit ones I want to know if I can release all the previous AR pokemon :O

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    How do you start the detective quest series? I've traveled to Lumiose City several times and have never gotten a message yet. I've visited Kiloude, if that matters, and I've both flown and walked into Lumiose.

Thanks.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Once pokebank is released and I get my giratina, shaymin, etc. will I still be able to change their forms or do I have to change it in the original game before transferring over?

EDIT: Oh yeah another question, is there a way to check my gen IV and gen V games for any illegal pokemon? I remember when I played diamond (a long time ago) my friend had an action replay and he always got me all of the pokemon I wanted. Now that I got older and realized what a mistake it was to mix in AR pokemon with legit ones I want to know if I can release all the previous AR pokemon :O

You can't bring items over with the PokeBank. Fortunately, the items needed to change 'Tina and Shaymin into their alternate forms are available in X and Y. The Griseous Orb is in the room where you catch Zygarde, along with the Lusterous and Adamant Orbs. If you show your Shaymin to a woman in the Snowbelle City Pokemon Center, she'll give you the Gracidea Flower you need.

As for your 2nd question: Isn't there something called PokeCheck for that? I'm not sure; I don't deal with hacked Pokemon often.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    How do you start the detective quest series? I've traveled to Lumiose City several times and have never gotten a message yet. I've visited Kiloude, if that matters, and I've both flown and walked into Lumiose.

Thanks.

You first need to upgrade your mega-ring. In order to do that, visit Battle Maison in Kiloude City and do a few battles. When you're done, you should be able to find your rival somewhere in the city (don't exactly remember where). Once you find them, they'll challenge you to a battle. If you manage to defeat them, Sycamore should give you call; follow all instructions. After that, your ring should finally be upgraded. Now, enter Lumiose City, and the Looker quests should officially begin!

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2014
    You can't bring items over with the PokeBank. Fortunately, the items needed to change 'Tina and Shaymin into their alternate forms are available in X and Y. The Griseous Orb is in the room where you catch Zygarde, along with the Lusterous and Adamant Orbs. If you show your Shaymin to a woman in the Snowbelle City Pokemon Center, she'll give you the Gracidea Flower you need.

As for your 2nd question: Isn't there something called PokeCheck for that? I'm not sure; I don't deal with hacked Pokemon often.

Thanks Zekrom! :D Oh just wondering, does this apply to all the legendaries? Like Deoxys or Tornadus?

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2014
    Deoxys changes form when it interacts with the meteors in Ambrette Town in the Fossil research center

Thanks for the info! :D I'm glad I don't have to somehow manage to get different forms of legendaries before transferring them lol

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Thanks for the info! :D I'm glad I don't have to somehow manage to get different forms of legendaries before transferring them lol

Although I am interested in finding out whether or not, if we were able to get 3 additional deoxys, if we could have all 4 forms in 1 game (Normal, Speed, Attack, Defense)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back