• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen [Yellow] Starter Pikachu

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    I thought it was a unique and interesting twist on the traditional style of Pokemon games, and really, the future main series Pokemon games as well. I disliked how you couldn't evolve Pikachu, but I understood why because they wanted to somewhat draw a parallel between Ash & Pikachu and Red & Pikachu. I loved Yellow, honestly. I think it was the game I played most out of all three. I had a beast of a team as well: Pikachu, Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Hypno and Pidgeot.

SleepyTrainer

Rage Valley
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Jul 3, 2018
    It didn't bug me at all that it won't evolve, I also like that Pikachu
    has a nicer sprite in Yellow than in Red/Blue.
    Also, running around with it was great :) I wish you could
    walk around with your pokemon in each version.

Years
    I absolutely adored using Pikachu in Yellow! He felt so special to me, like we actually bonded. I didn't care one bit that he doesn't evolve as I love him so much as he is and am generally not keen on Raichu anyway. It's really nice that they mixed things up with this title and I would certainly be happy if they did the same with other Generations.

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2015
    I'd have loved an Eevee! Would of given you so much freedom when building your team!

Years
    I played Yellow very briefly in an emulator a few years ago, but didn't get far. I think the fact that you get a starter that's different from the cookie-cutter Grass/Water/Fire type alone makes the game unique; I played before HG/SS came out, so it was pretty cool to see Pikachu leave the Pokeball and follow the player around. The playthrough was left in the dust at the Pewter City Gym, where it's damn near impossible to beat Brock with a Pikachu by it's lonesome.

Not too long ago I learned that you can catch a Mankey at one of the game's early routes, so I might pick it up again and take another shot.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Am I the only one here who actually dislikes Pikachu as a starter? :(

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2016
    My first game pokemon ever , I was just 7 years old , can't believe time has gone so fast , Pikachu seems to be the best pokemon ever for Children:)

HisDudeness

Little Urban Achiever
    Years
    I must say yellow is my favorite game, and I'm so disappointed they haven't polished it in the Advance generation.
    First of all, it's really great having all three starters without having to trade from other games. Sociopaths like me who play alone don't have to buy multiple GBs and cartridges to get Venusaur, Charizard and Blastoise. But sure, trading is better as you get all three from level 5 instead of 10.
    But the unique thing is having a Pokémon following you everywhere, being able to check on his mood and going to battle without the ball animation (Pokéballs taste a little like tiny cages). I would have liked to see those things rendered in a modern engine. Also, having a badass electric attack like thudershock from the beginning is rad (let's talk about training with all those Pidgeys and Spearows at the start and Zubats in Mt. Moon, plus obliterating Blue's second Pokémon Spearow and Misty's gym).
    Never watched nor liked the anime, but also without enjoying the similarities between the two it's still my favorite Pokémon game.
    Sure, it would have been nice to see Raichu's sprite following you, or his face expressing his mood. Also, evolving would have made it even stronger, making more probable to let it in your team and have its sprite following you forever, but the fact that it refuses the stone makes that Pikachu more unique, so it isn't a huge bother.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2016
    I was more than happy with Pikachu. I'd have probably picked it up for my electric type regardless (in the other games that is). I always felt like Eevee was very underwhelming tbh; ESPECIALLY given that its evolutions would be easily superceded by the original three starters which can be picked up in Yellow. Honestly it's almost too good having Pikachu; Pikachu, Venusaur, Blastoise and Charizard is a solid 4/6 combination. Add Dugtrio and Kadabra / Alakazam and you're pretty much set to take on anything that comes at you IMO.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I love the following Pokémon feature so much, and talking to Pikachu was fun too. For some reason when I was little I thought that healing Pokémon at the Pokémon Center raised its happiness, so I'd just stand there for the longest time repeatedly healing my Pikachu LOL. I wasn't too disappointed about not getting the Eevee, especially since you get one later on in the game.

Years
    I really liked the concept of Yellow as a kid and still do. It was something about getting all the original starters and Pikachu that made me love it. Pikachu never got a nickname, never evolved, and had the best reactions to all the situations. I just loved it. I will be playing it again soon and it will still be on my starting team and not evolving.

Years
    Yellow was my first Pokemon game and I still have fond memories of it. Having Pikachu as your starter offered a unique twist on the games and I loved checking on it from time to time. Thing was adorable~

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2016
    I really liked the concept of Yellow as a kid and still do. It was something about getting all the original starters and Pikachu that made me love it. Pikachu never got a nickname, never evolved, and had the best reactions to all the situations. I just loved it. I will be playing it again soon and it will still be on my starting team and not evolving.

Besides what it can do, I also had the surfing Pikachu that you could unlock

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2015
    I was a 'bit' let down, I won't lie, but I kept the little guy throughout the game. Good companion.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    I hate Pikachu lol

I really didn't enjoy Yellow as much as the rest of the Poképopulation did (apparently), and part of the reason was being lumped with Pikachu as a starter.

It didn't even have the decency to evolve so that it would be at least semi useful* :/

*NB: I know, I know, Yellow tried to follow the anime etc

Palmer-Granate

The Champion Jester
    Years
    I have a variety of thoughts regarding the twenty-second pokemon in the initial list: Pikachu! He's quick, he's adorable and he has an array of thrashing techniques that will leave any opponent licking their wounds.

The fact that it had to be that yellow/orange mouse meant it was reflecting the show and a lot of effort was made to coincide those elements. Any of us growing up with the show were rooting for Ash, and thus Pikachu, so it being your starter was not surprising. Not to mention that lightning happens to be one of the most fatal elements in the game, dominating water, flying and anything with low special stats.

I did tear at the fact that it wouldn't evolve, but it was actually the same reason I was able to appreciate that part of the game. Another reference to the show, which also sets the player back, despite a steady supply of Thunderstones being available to purchase. Naughty Game Freak. And the fact that it follows you around is also another poke at the show, also putting emphasis on emotion-involved venturing. I find it quite neat when you don't see a Pokeball when Pikachu is about to fight. Well, of course! It's supposed to be that way :3

I didn't care for Eevee, knowing I'd get one later in life. I'd trade the three evolutions amongst Red, Blue and Yellow, and get the full collection. Pikachu was a better fit, in my opinion.

Back