• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen [Yellow] Starter Pikachu

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    I recalled playing Yellow a few years back and I picked Pikachu, but it's a huge disadvantage for me because the first gym has a huge advantage over me and considering the Pokemon you have in your disposal it's very difficult. (Sure there's Nidoran and Mankey, but good luck if you try doing a Nuzlocke and got none of them)

Looking back at it, I preferred to get Eevee since Eevee is one of my most favorite Pokemon.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Feb 6, 2016
    I like how Pikachu follows you around wherever you go. It would've been nice if Pikachu could evolve into Raichu. That was the only thing I didn't like.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
    I would have much rather had Eevee and the choice of what to make of him on my team... than Pikachu.

Don't get me wrong, I like Pikachu as a Pokémon; just not that Pikachu. He hates you in the beginning and he refuses to evolve. Pikachu just isn't the best Pokémon to start off with in the beginning of that game, anyway. You quickly have to catch new Pokémon just to get by, and maybe it's just me, but I like my starters strong and capable. Maybe I'm lazy, but whatever.

I get that they were trying to give fans a taste of the anime; totally understandable. I just didn't particularly enjoy it as much as I thought.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    I liked Pikachu because he made the story feel a little more alive. Certain scenes involved Pikachu in how he reacted and it was interesting to see. Pikachu was a little stubborn in the beginning, but after the first gym battle, he becomes easier to use.

i wasn't too upset about not having Pikachu evolve because Pikachu isn't a normal starter. You can find another Pikachu in the wild and capture it, and then evolve it. So its no problem for me.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I personally hate pikachu. It's stats are bad, and it doesn't deserve to be the only pokemon known to half the world.

Kaiyu

Has officially quit PC
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    I didn't really like using Pikachu in my battles. I try to avoid using it but I like having it follow me around everywhere. I found it kind of cute.

Years
    Hmm the only problem with pikachu was that he was the only Pokemon that had a sprite until heart gold soul silver. Wish the other Philemon had sprites in yellow

Last edited:

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
    I think it would be neat if they ever decided to do a remake of it to have the option of Eevee or Pikachu
    Me too, it would be really cool because now Eevee has more evolutions than in 1998 when Yellow was originally released. Since psychic types ruled the first gen, the game would be pretty easy if you evolve Eevee into Espeon.

Raburesu

Technology is incredible!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    With a base stat total of 260, Pikachu was acceptable for a while, but unusable for an entire playthrough. Ask yourself: if you were playing Red or Blue, would you catch a Pikachu in Viridian Forest and keep it throughout the entire game, never evolving it? No! That's lunacy!

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    Strangely enough, I trained him to the point where he was the strongest Pokemon on my team. I do wish I had a little wiggle room when it came to choosing my starter or wanting to evolve it. However, I suppose that's what gives Yellow its charm in a sense.

Back