• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

You have been denounced! Note: You are not at war. (Civilization)

TY

This thread is everything about the Civilization series, a turn based strategy game. What was your favorite Civ game? What Civ did you enjoy playing as the most and which one did you dislike the most? Do you still play the recent games (Civ 5/Civ Beyond Earth)?

Discuss everything Civilization related here! :3

Years
  • If Civilization weren't in the title, I wouldn't have known this was the Civ thread. Denouncing as a diplomacy mechanic wasn't introduced until Civ V! And I've actually spent all of maybe 2 hours playing that version.

Civ IV: Beyond the Sword is by far my favorite iteration of the series. Espionage is a fun tool (though I find it wasted against the AI usually), and the religion aspect is simple to understand yet complex enough that it will cause the game world to fracture into various religious factions. Random events and quests are oodles of fun.

Plus, I really like stacks of doom, something that V does not let you do at all.

Plus, the sound of the war trumpets both excites and spooks me depending on the game situation.

TY

If Civilization weren't in the title, I wouldn't have known this was the Civ thread. Denouncing as a diplomacy mechanic wasn't introduced until Civ V! And I've actually spent all of maybe 2 hours playing that version.

Whoops, I only played a bit of Civ IV, a console version of Civ and a lot of Civ V soooo forgive me for that xD

Prolly should have went with a better title

Years
  • Whoops, I only played a bit of Civ IV, a console version of Civ and a lot of Civ V soooo forgive me for that xD

Prolly should have went with a better title

Well, most people here are more familiar with V than with IV anyway.

Just a way of me stating that I have never played V.

Monty's in every game, though, so if you do change the title, he's a warmonger you can hate on. Gandhi is also in every title and is known for his nuclear tendencies in every title.

Anyway, in addition to what I said about IV, I do also really like III. It's quite a fun game, though games can take a while because, iirc, you cannot turn off following AI/enemy movements within your field of vision when it's not your turn. And multiplayer's available only via an expansion.

3's soundtrack is probably my favorite in the series.

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
  • I loved playing as Persia (Scientific/Industrial) in Civ3, which was prob my fav. But Civ5 is the prettiest I've played so far. I typically have different tastes at different times. My current favourite is Egypt, and going for lots of population as an opening into lots of tech. :3

Euphoric

Indefatigable
    Years
  • If Civilization weren't in the title, I wouldn't have known this was the Civ thread. Denouncing as a diplomacy mechanic wasn't introduced until Civ V! And I've actually spent all of maybe 2 hours playing that version.

Civ IV: Beyond the Sword is by far my favorite iteration of the series. Espionage is a fun tool (though I find it wasted against the AI usually), and the religion aspect is simple to understand yet complex enough that it will cause the game world to fracture into various religious factions. Random events and quests are oodles of fun.

Plus, I really like stacks of doom, something that V does not let you do at all.

Plus, the sound of the war trumpets both excites and spooks me depending on the game situation.
    Nice to know someone else shares my liking for stacks. There's a certain "oh shit" moment you get playing when you see something you can't possibly counter, as opposed to endless shooting down of AI units in V due to its enormous tactical ineptitude. Random events can be annoying, though. Some are very interesting but I seem to get my farms blown up much more than those.

I've played III, IV, and V, though the majority of my time by far has been spent on IV - I can only think of one or two games on the other versions I've played to completion. III's interesting but I just can't get into V.

My favorite civs are Holy Rome, Maya, and the Ottomans. They're all cool :)

TY

I find the AI in V to be too passive, they rarely ever declare war on me, and if they do it's only cause I took over some City-States. Which I don't really like, cause it takes away from the overall experience imo.

Favorite civs of mine would be Aztecs, Germany and Arabs, all have a purpose in how I play :P

Euphoric

Indefatigable
    Years
  • I find the AI in V to be too passive, they rarely ever declare war on me, and if they do it's only cause I took over some City-States. Which I don't really like, cause it takes away from the overall experience imo.

Favorite civs of mine would be Aztecs, Germany and Arabs, all have a purpose in how I play :P

If you think that's bad, you should've played some earlier iterations of V. The AI would rabidly declare war on you time and time again - I think I read a game in which the players were declared on 6 different times before the AD years. It was horribly unbalanced - the militaristic leaders (Napoleon, Nobunaga, Bismarck, etc.) would always become dominant civs, just by spamming units and building no infrastructure, ever. Diplomacy didn't really exist.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • When it comes to the games in the Civilization series I have played III, IV and its expansions, Revolution, V, and Beyond Earth. When it comes to my favorite civs to play as I would have to go with the Germans, the Aztecs, and the Egyptians.

As for the AI, sometimes they declare war on me when I don't want to fight them. Earlier this week when I was playing Beyond Earth, Polystralia declared war on me. When I attempted to negotiate peace, Hutama refused. In my eyes, that was a jerk move since I did not want the war in the first place. In that game I was playing as the American Reclamation Corporation.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I've actually had a game or two in III where every AI Civ declared war on me because I was too far ahead in score.

Beyond that, as long as I keep an large military force, most Civs won't bother to go to war with me. They're more opportunistic than anything, and will only go to war with me if I'm otherwise occupied.

Nice to know someone else shares my liking for stacks. There's a certain "oh ****" moment you get playing when you see something you can't possibly counter, as opposed to endless shooting down of AI units in V due to its enormous tactical ineptitude. Random events can be annoying, though. Some are very interesting but I seem to get my farms blown up much more than those.

I've played III, IV, and V, though the majority of my time by far has been spent on IV - I can only think of one or two games on the other versions I've played to completion. III's interesting but I just can't get into V.

My favorite civs are Holy Rome, Maya, and the Ottomans. They're all cool :)

My reaction is more "son of a fuck!", but I was actually looking at it from the human player perspective. Stacks of doom fighting each other is oodles of fun. Especially when they get northwards of 50 units each.

Personally, I don't really have a favorite Civ. I'll play you or the AI with whatever, just give me a good starting location.

TY

If you think that's bad, you should've played some earlier iterations of V. The AI would rabidly declare war on you time and time again - I think I read a game in which the players were declared on 6 different times before the AD years. It was horribly unbalanced - the militaristic leaders (Napoleon, Nobunaga, Bismarck, etc.) would always become dominant civs, just by spamming units and building no infrastructure, ever. Diplomacy didn't really exist.

Jezus that's awful D:
    I rather have that they sometimes declare war on me instead of each other because then I don't look like the bad guy :P

I was thinking, maybe sometimes we could have some sort of game all together if anyone would be up for it :)

TY

You haven't even mentioned Sid Meier anywhere!
    How can it be Civ thread without mentioning Sid?!

Well most people shorten it anyways, but for you...
    Here is your Sid, happy? :P

Spoiler:

TY

I don't mind hosting a game sometime in the future of Civ V (cause that's the only game I got running atm) and then when we can't finish we can always load it back up some other time :)

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • I don't mind hosting a game sometime in the future of Civ V (cause that's the only game I got running atm) and then when we can't finish we can always load it back up some other time :)

I would be interested in doing it in Civ V, except for the fact that Civ V has been freezing up on me. I would not mind doing Civ IV Beyond the Sword multiplayer instead.

Super Skitty

Up up and away~
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    Loooove me some civ. :D

I've played tons of both IV and V. I think if I had to choose, I do prefer V, because the combat is more interesting/strategic, but both awesome games.

I just won my first game on Emperor, and am gonna try Immortal difficulty next. I've never tried multiplayer, but I'd definitely be up for it.

TY

I've played tons of both IV and V. I think if I had to choose, I do prefer V, because the combat is more interesting/strategic, but both awesome games.

I just won my first game on Emperor, and am gonna try Immortal difficulty next. I've never tried multiplayer, but I'd definitely be up for it.

How do you do that? xD I am having a lot of problems keeping my empire alive at Prince XD

Most of my issues are barbarians just spawning everywhere and killing me ;-;

Back