• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

You missed out, man!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • Let's face it-- not all of us are old enough to have lived through certain eras of gaming. Some of us were born during the days when NES and Sega Masters System ruled, and some of us were even born alongside the Gamecube and PlayStation 2. Which era of gaming do you wish you could have been around for? And is there a certain era of gaming you were around for that you feel like you missed out on?

I was born around the time the SNES came out, so I missed out on NES games. I wish I had been around for it, considering I'm a sucker for old school games, graphics, and music. I'm just a little 8-bit person. ;) But people have these fond memories of using Nintendo Power to solve game troubles (you know, back when NP was helpful) and I just wish I could have been around. It sounds like fun. Frustrating, but fun.

And like I said, I was born when the SNES hit, but I wish I had paid more attention to it. I only played the games that were on the Super Mario All-Stars cart and the bundle cart that had Tetris, Dr. Mario, and Mix-Match. I wish I had played some Super Metroid, A Link to the Past, and especially Earthbound<3 I also wish I had taken the time to explore the Sega Genesis. I enjoy Sonic games when I can play them, but Genesis did Sonic the best justice. And there are some other games I've seen reviews for that I would have loved to try. And the controller intrigues me. XD;

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • I was born during the 16-bit era, but at home we only had an NES - which I played like it was some sort of drug during those days. I didn't get another console until the N64, which my sisters and I got for Christmas several years later. I really wish I had gotten more into the 16-bit era though, seeing as it is now my absolute favorite era. You can't beat the quality of the big games of that period. YOU CANNOT.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    I was born the same year as the Nintendo 64 (which I never owned!), but fortunately I managed to get my hands on some SNES games (like Super Mario All-Stars and Yoshi's Island, the latter of which is one of my favorite games ever) thanks to hand-me-downs from my siblings, both born considerably earlier than myself. That said, I really do wish I could have been around for the heyday of the NES and SNES. My first game system, for those wondering, was the Game Boy Advance SP (shame!) and Pokémon FireRed Verson (no shame!).

Dooonerz

@JackDonnellyy
    Years
  • I was born around the Sega Megadrive era, and I can remember that I had a Sega Dreamcast at one point ;D
    I would have liked to have been around when the NES was around <33

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • I was born in 88' so when I was actually old enough to play video games the NES was pretty obsolete here. I played it a couple times, but really the only game I remember is Paper Boy. Would have liked to given the system that saved the gaming industry (here in the US) a bit more attention.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I grew up with the PS1 and Windows 95/98, so there's pretty much the entire 2D-era before me, but it never interested me. I do feel I've missed out on the NEC PC-9801, more due to where I was born than when, but hey, this is why we have emulators.

Years
  • I was born around the N64 era, although I wasn't old enough for a game system until the beginning of the gamecube/the twilight years of the n64, which I've always admired and heard was amazing, and the games were unprecedented and revolutionary, if only I were a couple years older :/

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I was born around the N64 area, but I never got to play it. I was also too young to be playing Pokemon by the time the English Red/Blue games were released, so entertained myself with PS1 and PC games during my childhood.

Years
  • :< I was born in the N64 era, so I missed out on the SNES (boohoo, Donkey Kong Country). I was playing games at a very young age though, so I did enjoy that era. Oh, and I also grew up on the Playstation (good ol' Crash Bandicoot). :3

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 23, 2011
    Luckily for me I was born in 1990 and started playing the NES when I was 2, and have played every system past it.

I would say that I wouldn't have missed out on anything since everything IMO preNES sucks.

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • When I was born, the N64 was the big thing. I really wish I experienced the NES and SNES craze... Those old games look so fun and I never got a chance to play any of them.

Years
  • I expernienced the SNES world. Was fun.

My sister got it for christmas, since she is six years older than me and I played on it, like it was my own!

razzbat

dancer
    Years
  • i was born around the 64 era but i didnt get a home console till the cube. i remember going to various friends places and playing super mario 64, pokemon stadium and kirby 64, so i feel like i didnt really miss out.

i really wished that i payed more attention to non nintendo consoles such as the ps2, where i would have liked to have played ratchet and clank, final fantasy, kingdom hearts, okami and yakuza

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I was born in hte very end of the N64 era and never exprerienced a consle until the Gamecube, whitch i hardly remember.I'd say I started with the PS2 with Ratchet and Clank. Then i got a DS and it became my main games consle. Then my dad got the 3 main home consles (Wii,XB360,PS3) and the rest is history.

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
  • I was born in the 64 era, but our(mine and my cousin's)parents were too cheap to get us a 64, so we all got SNES's. By the time I was about 4 or so, we all got 64's, and they were ****ing amazing. I wish I could have experienced the SNES in it's prime, but that's about it.

PokemonLeagueChamp

Traveling Hoenn once more.
    Years
  • I was born in '94, but I only wound up actually using the N64. It wasn't until recently I had played NES or SNES games. Now, I have over 20 NES games, and 3 SNES games(4 counting Super Metroid on Virtual Console), and 8-9 N64 games, and that's only as of right now. Those numbers will likely go up as I scavenge for some quality retro gaming material.

Zuruggu

Zuruggu=Epic Win
    Years
  • I was born at the end of the N64 era and my first system that was mine and mine only was the Gameboy Advance with a really bad Dexter game.
    I would feel like I missed out if none of the games released on N64 and before that were remade. So, yeah

Years
  • I was born the same year the NES came out here. Sadly, I didn't get into video games until the mid 1990s, so my first system was the Game Boy, and my first console was the N64 (though I played a little NES and SNES at other people's houses beforehand).

I kind of wish I had gotten into video games a bit earlier than 10, because I feel like I missed out on most of the 16-bit era.

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
    Years
  • 16 bit era plz
    In my personal opinion games were at their top quality in the 16 bit era. Unfortunatley In was born in the middle of the n64 and gamecube era where crap games come a dime a dozen

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • We had an Atari and an NES when I was young. Only thing I really missed out on was the SNES and the PS1/2/3.

Back