• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your Favorite Generation of Pokemon Games

Your Favorite Generation of Pokemon Games

• Generation I (Red/Blue/Green/Yellow)

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Generation II (Gold/Silver/Crystal)

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Generation III (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/LeafGreen/FireRed)

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Generation IV (Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver)

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Generation V (Black/White)

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kristine

Pokemon Addict Since 1998
Years
  • Eep :S That's a hard one. I *think* my order would probably be I > V > IV > II > III

I've played since the originals. If Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald weren't in Gen III, then I would have rated FireRed/LeafGreen up there with Gen I, but I hated Hoenn. -_- I like V and IV a lot, but nothing beats the originals. :)

SolWolf

This user is over 9000!
    Years
  • I've played since the originals(God I miss Red :( ), but overall, my favorite has been Generation III. I loved Hoenn.

So... I guess my rating.

III > I > IV > V > II

I don't know why, but I just hated Generation II, aside from a few exceptions with the pokemon, I had a few gripes about it. XD

Jeikobu

God's beloved child
    Years
  • I would likely say I, II, V, III, IV. The first two are largely sentimental value, but I think they had great characters mostly, and generation I is just a classic, and has most of my top favorites. IV is the bottom mainly due to a lot of Ghosts and the fact that the writers got too into the (false) deity stuff.

Years
  • Generation V gets my vote as I am playing Pokemon Black in less than two weeks.

Why Gen V?

- Oshawott, of course.
    - Hilbert and Hilda's design
    - Graphics
    - Skyarrow Bridge
    - Cheren and Bianca's personality
    - Gothitelle cos it's cool!
    - Reshiram and Zekrom
    - The Striaton Trio (Cilan, Cress and Chili)
    - Elesa having modelling as a second job
    - Seasons
    - And most of the Pokemon designs!

Eagledelt

=)?
    Years
  • #1 -> Gen III - best storyline imo so far.
    #2 -> Gen IV - 2nd best storyline imo.
    #3 -> Gen II - one of the best in terms of Pokémon designs and well, you have 16 badges, League and Red.
    #4 -> Gen I - the original ones. Not that easy to complete.
    #5 -> Gen V - Cannot like it. Graphics are alright, but Pokémon are just too ugly to me.

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2011
    #1 -> Gen III - best storyline imo so far.
    #2 -> Gen IV - 2nd best storyline imo.
    #3 -> Gen II - one of the best in terms of Pokémon designs and well, you have 16 badges, League and Red.
    #4 -> Gen I - the original ones. Not that easy to complete.
    #5 -> Gen V - Cannot like it. Graphics are alright, but Pokémon are just too ugly to me.
    ^I completely agree with you, mate,

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Note: I'm splitting up Gen III into FR/LG and R/S/E because the games would rank significantly different. And because I can. :P

1. Gen IV. Best storyline and overall graphicvs (gen V falters when it comes to battle graphics).
    2. Gen III. (FR/LG). The best female playable character, and a remake of the first gen games that addresses most of their faults while retaining much of the charm of their gameplay.
    3. Gen II. Lots of interesting additions, but those low levels and disappointing final "boss" bring it down a bit.
    4. Gen I: Many of my favorites come from this gen and the region is interesting, but too many glitches with the original games keep me from scoring this higher. Also, you're stuck playing as a guy.
    5. Gen V: Too many gameplay frustrations saddle this one down, which had a good storyline and a nice contempoary urban setting going for it. Sadly the negatives outweigh the positives here.
    6. Gen III (R/S/E): Definitely did not stand the test of time, bland region with ridiculous city concepts, forgettable characters. At least some of the Pokemon introduced here were cool.

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
    Years
  • Favorite Generation? So you are not asking about specific factors..good.

Simply, Gen IV
    Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum. Outstanding game, except for the worst speed in-battle.
    The Pokedex is amazing, I was so fulfilled. It summed up all previous Pokemons from our favorite generations, it also introduced new evolutions for older Pokemons, which is simply cool. Plus Many Of the cool Sinnoh Design....especially the legendaries...

The Characters were good. Barry is amazing, especially in the Anime. Dawn is great, I do know Lucas is underrated but he is cool as well. Another Basic reason is.....Infernape :P currently, I do not want to elaborate why..

The Sinnoh Legends were....Superb. THEY WERE GODS. They had outrageous powers. Most of them had this amazing designs, Dialga and Darkrai for example.

Above all that, the plot was so GOOD. Not that other games were horrible but this one had me live the moment (the same goes with Gen V).

Gen IV Made everything I want, it was something I wanted to see, such an amazing effort. I didn't play Pokemon R/B/Y so My Judgment about them isn't fair sorry. I do remember getting a severe headache when I played Yellow though...

Keep in mind that I don't hate other Generation. Especially since everything has its Ups and Downs. Hoenn was good but it didn't suit me, I LOVED FR/LF SO MUCH!!! HG/SS Were Definitely heck of games. D/P/Pt...Words can't describe my gratitude.

My order if u want: IV>V>III>I>II

Favorite Generation? So you are not asking about specific factors..good.

Simply, Gen IV
    Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum. Outstanding game, except for the worst speed in-battle.
    The Pokedex is amazing, I was so fulfilled. It summed up all previous Pokemons from our favorite generations, it also introduced new evolutions for older Pokemons, which is simply cool. Plus Many of the cool Sinnoh Design....especially the legendaries...

The Characters were good. Barry is amazing, especially in the Anime. Dawn is great, I do know Lucas is underrated but he is cool as well. Another Basic reason is.....Infernape :P currently, I do not want to elaborate why..

The Sinnoh Legends were....Superb. THEY WERE GODS. They had outrageous powers. Most of them had this amazing designs, Dialga and Darkrai for example.

Above all that, the plot was so GOOD. Not that other games were horrbile but this one had me live the moment (the same goes with Gen V).

Gen IV Made everything I want, it was something I wanted to see, such an amazing effort. I didn't play Pokemon R/B/Y so My Judgment about them isn't fair sorry. I do remember getting a severe headache when I played Yellow though...

Keep in mind that I don't hate other Generation. Especially since everything has its Ups and Downs. Hoenn was good but it didn't suit me, I LOVED FR/LF SO MUCH!!! HG/SS Were Definitely heck of games. D/P/Pt...Words can't describe my gratitude.

My order if u want: IV>V>III>I>II

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    V - I loved Unova, everything about it.
    II - Crystal was my second favorite game, and the nostalgia is great in that generation.
    I - So simple and nice.
    III - I had started falling out of Pokemon by then, never finished Sapphire and didn't have FR/LG.
    IV - I hated Pearl intensely, and couldn't finish Heartgold. If I separated out HG/SS, it would rank higher on its own though.

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years
  • 5 > 4 > ?

Yeah I haven't played the older generations yet and I doubt they'd be better than generation five because it is the best and same as Toujours I loved everything about it.. except for the last part when N leaves and never returns. :< I didn't really like Platinum because idk why but I quite liked Heartgold because the storyline was better than DPPt's imo. o3o

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2016
    Third Generation all the way!

IF I have to rank the generations, I'll go by my all time favorite to least favorite.

All Time Favorite: Third Generation (Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald)
    Second Favorite: First Generation (Red, Green, Blue, and Yellow)
    Third Favorite: Fifth Favorite (Black, and White)
    Fourth Favorite: Fourth Generation (Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum)
    Least Favorite: Second Generation (Gold, Silver, and Crystal)

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    In order from worst to best...

V - This was a generation too far, the new pokemon are almost universally badly designed (why the heck would they design a rubbish bag and a hoody pokemon??) and it just didn't feel that good to play either. I did like N, he was a huge credit to the generation, and the higher interaction with the gym leaders was good too. The castle at the end was great. But Team Plasma had terrible designs and didn't at all fit with the game's setting... But yeah, all in all, the only good thing about this generation was N and his story.
    III - Pretty decent all around, but not really that fun to play too many times. Sapphire is a great game, but gets pretty boring and samey after completing it the third time... A remake of this generation would be amazing! FireRed/LeafGreen were also pretty good, loved the islands too, I just missed the Gen IV pokemon whilst playing it...
    I - Great games, a wonderful start! Based on the time they were created they were unique, revolutionary and so much fun! Yellow was even better having that cutie pie Pikachu follow you around everywhere! The only real problems with the games is that everything was so slow and there weren't that many choices to make. Other than that, they were amazing!
    II - These were brilliant. Absolutely amazing games, so intuitive and you never ran out of things to do. The bug catching contest was so much fun and all the new pokemon were brilliant fun to catch! Got some really interesting things introduced such as the Unown, some great new Gym Leaders, some cool new legendarys and even two new types! In all, it was a brilliant generation faulted only by the speed of play and slightly by the graphics (though they do add charm!)
    IV - Best generation of all. Diamond and Pearl are certainly my favourite games, the Sinnoh region is very interesting and fun to explore with the best pokemon ever introduced! Most of my favourite pokemon come from this generation and the characters/story is great too! Team Galactic don't get annoying like the other bad teams and the whole game feels so much fun to play! The best starters ever, too! And HeartGold... What a game. There is barely anything to fault about that game bar Team Rocket becoming pretty tedious, but it's still a great game! Made even better by the addition of the Sinnoh pokemon and the pokeathlon. The game is simply brilliant. All in all a faultless generation.

Years
    • Seen Sep 27, 2011
    I'll give explanations to my choice.

1. Generation I: Best characters, best rival "smell ya later gramps," best starters (Charmander, Squirtle, Bulbasaure, and Pikachu), and I love the music. Best Gym Leaders, and I loved battling team rocket in Yellow.

2. Generation II: Great sequel to the originals, great starters, and a fun-to-beat, no class rival. And I loved battling Red at the end knowing that he was you in the previous generation.

3. Generation IV: I liked Sinnoh and the starters were decent, my favorite being Chimichar. And I liked the story and the distortion zone.

4. Generation III: The storyline wasn't very good imo nor were the characters. But that's just my opinion.

5. Generation V. I hate Unova, and the starters, and most of the new pokemon for that matter, are ugly. I think GameFreak is running out of ideas.

Years
  • 1. Generation I: Best characters, best rival "smell ya later gramps," best starters (Charmander, Squirtle, Bulbasaure, and Pikachu), and I love the music. Best Gym Leaders, and I loved battling team rocket in Yellow.

2. Generation II: Great sequel to the originals, great starters, and a fun-to-beat, no class rival. And I loved battling Red at the end knowing that he was you in the previous generation.

3. Generation IV: I liked Sinnoh and the starters were decent, my favorite being Chimichar. And I liked the story and the distortion zone.

4. Generation III: The storyline wasn't very good imo nor were the characters. But that's just my opinion.

5. Generation V. I hate Unova, and the starters, and most of the new pokemon for that matter, are ugly. I think GameFreak is running out of ideas.

I can see you're suffering a case of Pokemon Nostalgia.

Back