• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your Favorite Middle Evolution

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    So as we know, there are many Pokémon who evolve twice, and thus they are commonly known as three-evolution families. Out of this, the first stage is most commonly, if not always, remembered because it's the stage where we usually catch the species, it's cuteness exceeds its evolutions or we breed into the said Pokémon always. The third stage is usually remembered because it's the stage when we have a complete Pokémon team, the Pokémon is quite fierce, stylish or tough and it's the stage where the Pokémon is usually at its strongest.

But we don't quite remember the second stage, do we? For example, when someone states 'Hoenn Region's Water Starter', our minds will quickly come to Mudkip or Swampert. After analyzing these two, we'll then realize Marshtomp also comes between these two. This means that most Pokémon aren't remembered for their second stage.

So which is your favourite second stage evolution? Note that this should be said without regard to the first or third stage.

Personally, I am fond of Grovyle. Not only because he's a strong grass type in the Hoenn region, Grovyle himself learns nice moves and, in my opinion, Grovyle's design far outclasses his evolution, Sceptile. Just look at the sleek body design and the blades of leaves. Also, I've travelled most of my Hoenn journey with him, because I evolved Treecko early and got Sceptile late. Also, he was the first ever starter I've ever taken in a Pokémon game, and thus I have nostalgia to him. He was also quite impressive in the anime.

Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2018
    Nice idea :) Mine are Ivysaur, Charmeleon, Seadra, Kirlia, Skiploom, and Fletchlinder. There's probably a few I've missed but these ones really stand out to me. With the exception of Charizard, Jumpluff, and Gardevoir, I am not such a fan of the designs for the final stage of their evolutions.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I remember Braixen, because of its cool design, but how they kind of fell short on Delphox. And although Reuniclus is cool, I do like Duosion.

And thanks to the Eviolite, some of these second stagers are getting a second look at again.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I like Fletchinder and Vanillish, they're both pretty powerful for second stagers and helped me out a lot during my playthroughs.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Ivysaur, Wartortle, Quilava, Croconaw, Seadra, Pikachu, Dewott, Clefairy, Duosion, Flaffy, Porygon 2, Dragonair, Frogadier, Fletchinder, and Floette are ones I can think of at the top of my head. Though I know if I thought more about it I can probably remember even more second evolutions that I really like because I tend to actually like them more than the final evolution. In fact I keep thinking of more while writing this post and I should stop.

Years
  • I prefer all of these designs in comparison to their evolutions preevolutions.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • The three that I really love mostly by their designs are Braixen, Dewott, & Quilava (in that order). Along the way I learned to love them.

Many times I always am stuck with a heartbreaking decision of whether to let them evolve or not - I love their 3rd evolution too, but many times I prefer the 2nd evo.

Years
  • I don't really forget the second stage evolution.

I'd be... A Grovyle.
    Grovyle learns very good moves, it's the first one to learn Leaf Blade, it's former signature move.
    Grovyle also looks cool in design, it's leaves look dark in Gen III though, I thought it was a Dark Type at first because of that.
    And also Grovyle IS a protagonist in PMD 2.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Shelgon is one of my favorite second-stagers. It may not look good in terms of design, but its Defense stat is quite heavy though. When it comes to battling, it could make a great physical wall for your team. Give it an Eviolite, and it'd become even more deadly. Only thing bad about this Pokémon is that it doesn't have access to any recovery moves... or maybe it does? Aside from Shelgon, I also like Grovyle. I'm a huge fan of its aggressive look. (: Another of my favorites would have to be Metang.

Pinta77

I agree with Haunter and Piloswine. And Dewott as well.

Dragonaire is a tough one for me. I love how dragonaire looks but i also love dragonite. I think they're both super cool. In battle, I'd have to go with dragonite of course :P

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    What's with the Bold Inflation, OP?

Anyway, Magneton. Magnezone is horrible in every way... but that's not all. Magneton has always been perfectly viable in itself anyway; already having stats befitting a fully-evolved monster, it works excellently with Eviolite.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Oh, but I love second stagers! Especially in the starter families. Charmeleon, Wartortle, Combusken, Grovyle, Monferno, Dewott, Frogadier and Braixen are all pretty great, and the first ones are my favorites. Sometimes the second stages can be rather awkward middle-of-the line though. Like with Quilladin and Pignite and Servine, sorry. They aren't really well designed in my opinion ;p Not like Combusken and Dewott, who are good transitions from the early stage to the latest stage.

Years
  • There are actually quite a number of starter Pokemon where I prefer their middle evolutions to their final ones. A few off the top of my head that I can think of are Wartortle, Ivysaur, Marshtomp, Servine, Dewott and Quilladin. As for other in-between evolutions, I've always liked Togetic more than Togekiss, and I like Nidorino/Nidorina slightly more than their evolutions.

Years
  • Most of the starters tend to be this for me, notably Dewott, Frogadier and Braixen. Heck I even don't think Pignite looks that ugly, I think it looks pretty adorable, same with Quilladin. Lately I also seem to be liking Fletchling's middle-evo Fletchinder, as well as Swadloon. Blame the anime for me liking Swadloon and Pignite.

Back