• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your List of Generation/Regions in order of favoritism?

Favorite Generation/Region?

• Total voters

Apollo

怖がらないで
Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    1. Hoenn
    2. Sinnoh
    3. Kalos
    4. Johto
    5. Kanto
    6. Unova

Hoenn is my favorite region because of basically everything in it. Sinnoh rushed second because it was memorable to me in a way, like the characters (Dawn, Barry, Candice), the cities (Hearthome, Jubilife, Canalave). The graphics were boring in this region, I admit. But I guess I found its beauty underneath the boring graphics. ;D . I've never played and watched enough of Kalos yet for me to judge it, but I think Kalos deserves to be where it is right now because it just intrigues me. I never expected Johto and Kanto to be low! It's not that I don't like those regions, but it's because I like the upper regions more. Johto was beautiful, I enjoyed Bellchime Trail and the characters are one of my favorites. Kanto was a bit bland, but like Sinnoh, it had this charm that made it memorable to me. Plus, I have huge respect for Kanto (and Gen I in general) because it started it all. Unova was pretty and all, but it just doesn't appeal to me well.

Calamity

Just for the love of the game.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2020
    1. Johto - pulling out the nostalgia card here.
    2. Hoenn - loved the tropical theme but there's only so much water you can take.
    3. Unova - it has the first real big city and Sky Arrow bridge is wonderful.
    4. Sinnoh - it's been a good few years since I visited there but I can remember enjoying places like Sunnyshore.
    5. Kanto - I dunno, there's nothing really that stands out to me.
    6. Kalos - only because I haven't played X or Y yet.

Years
  • 1) Hoenn
    2) Johto
    3) Unova
    4) Kanto
    5) Kalos
    6) Sinnoh

Sinnoh's last mostly because the Pokemon designs weren't so great in my eyes. Hoenn because.. well.. that was the time my Pokemon love was at its peak and I spent so much time playing and watching the anime. Unova and Johto might actually be tied though, baha.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I've only liked Hoenn, Unova, Kanto and, more recently, Kalos. Hoenn mostly, and the others in no particular order. I've never cared and/or enjoyed the other two, despite playing a lot of Johto in my childhood days.

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
    Years
  • 1. Kanto (Gens 1/3, 2/4)
    2. Johto (Gens 2/4)
    3. Kalos (Gen 6)
    4. Sinnoh (Gen 4)
    5. Hoenn (Gen 3)
    6. Unova (Gen 5)

Kanto and Johto
    I can't talk about one without the other. They both symbolically and geographically parallel each other. The perfect contrast of the modern and the traditional. Together, the Kanto - Johto mega region is the most complete and fulfilling experience in the Pokemon World. Also, Charizard.

Kalos
    It perfectly combines the heart and nostalgia of the first generation for sentimental people like me and the advantages of new generation mechanics and graphics. It is the quintessential Pokemon experience. Nothing more to say but absolute perfection.

Sinnoh
    I like the aesthetics of the region. It showcases every possible environment in such vibrant fashion; it just looks really good. Additionally, the Physical/ Special move split helped to best utilize the power and abilities of each Pokemon. Also, Infernape.

Hoenn
    The theme of the generation was nature so it was natural that it would look good. It would have been higher if not for the fact that Sinnoh looked better, those blasted water routes, and the most annoying HM heavy Victory Road.

Unova
    Compared to the vibrancy of Gen 4, Unova just seemed a little too underwhelming to me. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the added mechanics, however, I could never get into it as much as I wanted to.

Last edited:

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
    Years
  • IMHO there's 2 separate questions here, cause favourite Gen and favourite region are two different things :P When I think of Generation, I try to take into account the Pokemon, the Region, the Mechanics and all that Jazz, whereas by region I just think of the map and the Pokemon.

Nonetheless:

1) Johto
    2)Kanto
    3)Kalos
    4)Sinnoh
    5)Hoenn
    6)Unova

I may rethink this if/when Hoenn gets rereleased, but overall there aren't as many cool things about it as there are about others. The massive amount of backtracking and walking through the same places a lot is ridiculous, and then there's the water routes. They're just painful. I felt like bar Groudon, Rayquaza and Kyogre, the legendaries are pretty forgettable, which isn't something you want to hear. The same can be said about Unova's legendaries too, and Sinnoh isn't much better.

Kalos would be higher only for that darned Lumiose City and the complete and utter lack of a good post-story :(

Gen4 Johto is my absolute favourite region of all of them, more than likely because of the nostalgia factor added with the new mechanics, and that touch screen use <3

Years
  • Oooh good question! :) This is hard but I think for me it would be:

1. Johto
    2. Hoenn
    3. Sinnoh
    4. Kalos
    5. Kanto
    6. Unova

I'm basing this mainly on the actual regions themselves, with Kalos it's harder to judge cause it's the most developed so it's harder to compare with the likes of Kanto... argh I feel like there are a couple I should switch haha but I'll leave it like that for now :)

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Yo, can I bump this? With ORAS's announcement I have been seeing exclamations of "My favorite region is back!" everywhere, so I want to see if it's true, and by how much. ;) I mean, I know my favorite's Hoenn, haha. My list is:

Hoenn
    Sinnoh
    Johto
    Kanto
    Unova
    Kalos

I really liked DPPt as a whole, and Johto was also very strong. Kanto is really just meh for me, but all I know is that Unova and Kalos are last for me because they were just so linear.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • 1) Hoenn
    2) Sinnoh
    3) Kalos
    4) Johto
    5) Unova
    6) Kanto

I don't really dislike any of them but visually Hoenn is stunning, bring on ORAS!

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • 1. Johto
    2. Kanto
    3. I hate the other 3 gens equally, Hoenn with all its water, Sinnoh with those mountains, and I just didn't like Unova.
    6. Kalos (haven't played, so yea)

Years
  • My favorite is Hoenn, bar none. The diverse environment, plethora of gorgeous Pokemon, berry picking, secret bases, and interesting characters are all reasons why it seperates itself from the other five. In order, the rest go Johto, Kalos, Unova, Kanto, Sinnoh. If Kalos had a better post-game, it might've surpassed Johto.

Years
  • Okay, i originally posted reasons, and since they dissapeared twice. I'm having no reasons.

#6: Unova
    #5: Sinnoh
    #4: Johto
    #3: Kalos
    #2: Kanto
    #1: Hoenn

Years
  • Focusing on the regions not generations it would probably be

1. Sinnoh
    2. Hoenn
    3. Kalos
    4. Unova
    5. Johto
    6. Kanto

I'll add reasons to this post when I have some more time.

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    As far as Generations go...

Kalos
    From the very first time I laid my eyes on X&Y I knew I'd end up loving it the most. The Pokemon, the region, the anime, the gym leaders, the music... everything.
    It all holds a loving place in my heart now and I enjoyed these games a great deal.

Unova
    This generation is another one I'm very fond of. I like the Pokemon, the way the region itself looks and how it's designed.
    I have great memories of playing this game with friends. I love it. <3

Hoenn
    I really don't even have to express in words what I love about this region. Most everyone loves Hoenn, and rightfully so!
    Gorgeous environment, lovable species, amazing gym leaders and elite four. Awesome features too, such as diving.

Sinnoh
    So many wonderful memories of playing through this game over and over due to loving the storyline so much.
    My craze of shiny hunting started mostly because of these games and their RNG manipulation and chaining, haha.

Johto & Kanto fit last for primarily the same reasons. I like these games but I feel they could've been done a lot better.
    At least the Pokemon are awesome, of course. <3

nikkissippi121

Pokémon Professor
    Years
    • Age 29
    • they/them
    • Maine
    • Seen Sep 2, 2022
    1. Johto (if only because my first game was Gold)
    2. Kalos
    3. Hoenn
    4. Kanto
    5. Sinnoh
    6. Unova (because I hated N)

Years
  • 1. Johto (if only because my first game was Gold)
    2. Kalos
    3. Hoenn
    4. Kanto
    5. Sinnoh
    6. Unova (because I hated N)
    Hey there nikkissippi, please make sure that you aren't bumping threads more than a month old going forward, as it's actually against PokeCommunity rules. Since this wasn't too far past that date, we'll keep this thread open, but keep an eye out for that in the future!

orangeralts21

Newfound Respect for Wobbuffet
    Years
  • Jotto

Jotto

Jotto

D:

1. Johto
    2. Hoenn
    3. Kanto
    4. Sinnoh

I can't talk about Unova and Kalos, as I have never played their games.

Years
  • If spinoffs were included Orre would be number one, but I'm not gonna include them.

1. Kalos. I really like the architecture and environments in most the places, and while I'm not fond of the fact that there are more "old" Pokemon available than "new" ones, I do like how many Pokemon can be found. I'm also really fond of the music--XY has my favorite OST of all the main games--and I like the somewhat elliptical shape the whole region has.

2. Unova & Johto. I don't prefer one over the other, so they both tie for second. Like with Kalos, I really appreciate the architecture and environments in both regions, and I like the Gym Leaders and Gyms the most. Additionally, I like how the water routes aren't too big. (Given, the only region with large bodies of water is Hoenn.) Individually, I like that Unova has no old Pokemon until post-game in BW, and I like how many areas there are and the things you can do in many of them. As for Johto, even though there aren't as many areas, I like what areas are available and the things you can do in them (especially in HGSS). Additionally, I like that Johto connects to Kanto; it feels sort of weird how the other regions are presumably far from each other. (I suppose it makes sense, especially in Unova's and Kalos's cases, but it'd still be nice if you could travel between regions (even if there are only two) in the same game.)

3. Sinnoh. Neat architecture and environment; I especially love Mt. Coronet. The Pokemon population is all right, too.

4. Hoenn. I like the vast diversity of environments; however, I'm really not too fond of the large water bodies or the architecture, aside from a few select places. That being said, things'll definitely look better in ORAs, so chances are my opinion will change. Pokemon-wise, I find the selection OK.

Kanto. There really isn't much I like about this region. It's too boring, the places aren't all that interesting, there isn't much to do in most of the areas (particularly after getting through certain parts of the story). The only things I do like about Kanto are the fact it connects to Johto (at least in GSC/HGSS) and the Sevii Islands.

Back