• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Your opinions of B/W Pokémon - Favourites and Least Favourites

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • XD I thought it was obvious, but I guess it's not, huh...

Ever heard of harpies, y'all? You know, winged old women with ear-piercing screeching and the like? Well, anyway, Vultina is clearly inspired by them, hence why 'tis female only. I have no idea why Wargle is male only, but it probably has to do with his Native American-inspired design, particularly the crest: to my fair but not extensive knowledge of pre-Columbine cultures, most Native American tribes and groups did not allow women to wear the feather headcrest, at least not a warrior's one. I'm fairly certain in some cultures they could have it as healers or elders if they were high in the hierarchy, but Wargle is specifically designed warrior-like, and since you can't have female warriors with feather headcrests to indicate your high rank in the society, you can't have female Wargle. 'Tis just a theory, but seems to make sense to me: harpies can't be male; NA females can't wear warrior feather headcrests.

Wow, that's really interesting. :0
    If that's the case, then Game Freak really goes deep in on the origins of Pokemon designs. :3

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
  • The new Pokemon disappoint me very much. :( The 1st and 2nd gen was original and amazing! The 3rd gen was pretty good but something wasn't the same. The 4th gen disappointed me but I sucked it up and got used to them because I love Pokemon! Now...I'm losing hope...I want to get used to them but they lost the Pokemon feel completely! I don't want to give up on Pokemon like I gave up on Sonic, but the way things are headed, It's Sonic all over again! T_T If this is what Pokemon is like now, then I hope they stop making it completely! Continue with the anime, cards, remakes and spinoffs but for God's sake stop the madness before it gets worse!

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years

Ever heard of harpies, y'all? You know, winged old women with ear-piercing screeching and the like? Well, anyway, Vultina is clearly inspired by them, hence why 'tis female only. I have no idea why Wargle is male only, but it probably has to do with his Native American-inspired design, particularly the crest: to my fair but not extensive knowledge of pre-Columbine cultures, most Native American tribes and groups did not allow women to wear the feather headcrest, at least not a warrior's one. I'm fairly certain in some cultures they could have it as healers or elders if they were high in the hierarchy, but Wargle is specifically designed warrior-like, and since you can't have female warriors with feather headcrests to indicate your high rank in the society, you can't have female Wargle. 'Tis just a theory, but seems to make sense to me: harpies can't be male; NA females can't wear warrior feather headcrests.

It would have been cool if Aloe had Wargle pre evo seeing as they are both American Indian representatives, kind of.

xoax-- Cool find. I thought it was an egg not a skull lol :)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I like the idea behind the vulture, but Wooguru was speculated as that from the start (and I think it also slightly was influenced by Hawkmon...just slightly).

19,000, but only until the wandering thread is moved, I'll fix that issue later!

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
    Years
  • I just found out :O The vulture learns Bone Rush via level up.

I just had a nerdgasm. Thoughts?

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
  • XD yeah, I love that too. and unlike Noctowl, she has a plethora of moves that she can use defensively and offensively. mind you, given her offences, she will almost never make very good use of most of her nifty attacks, but moves like Bark Out (always lower spA one stage, thus working like a special Intimidate) and Payback are always good on her. she hasn't got Skill Link to abuse Bone Rush, however, and even if she did, Dustproof is much too good to give it up in favour of Skill Link, as it means Vultina can play in hail and sand without losing leftovers recovery.

Years

No, you're right. xD The warrior's headdress was usually worn by the chief of the tribe and the best warrior, who was always male, thus explaining Wargle. :D

I still like Vulture girl though. :D

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I like most pokémon from gen 5! Which is more than I've been able to say about 3rd and 4th gen after such short time after their release. 3rd gen, I still despise many (if not most) of those pokémon. 4th gen was better when I finally let myself accept them.

5th gen I liked immediately. Apart from the starters. I really don't see what people see in Tsutarja and its evos. To me, it's ugly and doesn't look so strong. I don't mean to bash it, but I just can't see why people like it. Care to enlighten me?

Pokabu and Mijumaru, with evos, are cute but a disappointment. They look too cartoonish for me. The Kanto starters looked more "real", and the Johto starters were cartoonish in a smoother way, to give you an idea of what I mean.

The 5th gen pokémon are astoundingly creatively created (sounds weird but get my point). Against all odds, they managed to come up with pokémon who seems to be more interesting and have more personality than many pokémon from all the other generations.

Wargle is awesome, so is the polar bear and the tortoise. Not to mention the steel soldier pokémon, all the cool fighting types and the chimaera! Gosh, I'd have a blast with these games.

Years
  • 5th gen I liked immediately. Apart from the starters. I really don't see what people see in Tsutarja and its evos. To me, it's ugly and doesn't look so strong. I don't mean to bash it, but I just can't see why people like it. Care to enlighten me?

I didn't like Tsutaaja at first either but it grew on me. No idea why. I guess it's the cheeky look it has and its role in the anime. (This coming from a Tsutaaja user)

I loved about one or two of the Pokemon at first glance and the others grew on me. I guess it was the hype of the game and then playing it myself.
    It's been quite a long time when I've been playing a Pokemon game and my team was at least 3 Pokemon by the time of the first Gym. The last time I remembered that happening was when I first started playing and would catch everything I saw but it's happening again because everything is so cute ;-;

I had my Tsutaaja, Yorterii, Minezumi, Choroneko and Hiyappu by the time I battled Poddo =\

Years

• XD Weiiird, I think GF is on crack. As far as I'm concerned those are heads, not extremities, brainless or not. But if they wanna call it arms with heads, let 'em.

- - - - - - - - -

@Maggyo:

XD That is not his animation in the games, no. It's actually worse than that; he flops like the stupid critter he is, then he squints his eyes and smiles creepily. And no, it doesn't make me love it; it makes me hate it more than before. :D If I ever battle someone (online) and they're using this thing I'm forfeiting the match, I don't give a damn. I refuse to battle it; it's gross.

Speaking of Maggyo/Flounderp

Your opinions of B/W Pokémon - Favourites and Least Favourites

Pretty much sums that critter up. :/ Welcome to memeness and competitive obscurity.

Amai

やった! 私はあまい
    Years
  • I like Maggo. I think it's actually kind of cute, especially it's battle animation.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    This thread is infested with Maggyo! Dx;

I expected this Pokémon to become a meme, and although it's not the best looking Pokémon for this generation, there's definitely always going to have to be one to start another story like Magikarp. By this I mean the fact that Magikarp is pretty weak and isn't really a fascinating Pokémon (at least not until it's evolution) but still has some fame due to meme's and such. This goes for the trash bag Pokémon as well. Even though I don't think it's started a meme, I'd expect some to go "Hey you're Pokémon looks like trash! >_>;". However I guess this would be called a pun moreover.

Maggyo wouldn't be one of my favorites, but it's not too bad. The lips and eyes have an awkward fit in the design though. D:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • This thread is infested with Maggyo! Dx;

I expected this Pokémon to become a meme, and although it's not the best looking Pokémon for this generation, there's definitely always going to have to be one to start another story like Magikarp. By this I mean the fact that Magikarp is pretty weak and isn't really a fascinating Pokémon (at least not until it's evolution) but still has some fame due to meme's and such. This goes for the trash bag Pokémon as well. Even though I don't think it's started a meme, I'd expect some to go "Hey you're Pokémon looks like trash! >_>;". However I guess this would be called a pun moreover.

Maggyo wouldn't be one of my favorites, but it's not too bad. The lips and eyes have an awkward fit in the design though. D:
    I agree. Maggyo also has decent stats, apart from Attack and Speed. It also learns a good deal of Special moves (Earth Power by breeding and Muddy Water and Thunderbolt by level up).

Also, these guys just scream:

"Can I haz ice cream?" (sorry if I'm reviving an old topic within this thread)

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • This thread is infested with Maggyo! Dx;

OMG...I just found out Maggyo was Electric/Ground-type! Nice! :cer_nod: And it can learn Surf and Boiling Water! Awesome!

But I really wish Dasutodasu and Maggyo rise to meme status soon... They're gradually progressing to that point, though. Maybe the English releases will help... Hopefully I can see their entries on Know Your Meme soon, becuase Tsutarja/Smugleaf got noted there pretty quick!

I agree. Maggyo also has decent stats, apart from Attack and Speed. It also learns a good deal of Special moves (Earth Power by breeding and Muddy Water and Thunderbolt by level up).

Also, these guys just scream:

"Can I haz ice cream?" (sorry if I'm reviving an old topic within this thread)

Yeah, Maggyo looked like it had adequate defensive stats as I glanced at the base stats. And those ice cream Pokemon look cute! :D

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2011
    I think that some, like Wargle look AWESOME, but others, like Gear and its evolved forms, the ice-cream thing, the one that looks like a mushroom, and Pokabu's evolved forms look ugly and/or stupid. Pokabu is cute, but it only gets uglier.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back