• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Your opinions on the 3-D aspects of the game.

2d VS 3D Your Opinion?

• Total voters

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    2D of gen1-4 vs 3D of gen5

Alright we all love the good old 2D of gen1-3 and the 2.5D of gen4
    but now we have the 3D in gen5...

who likes it?
    who hates it?
    whos going to miss the 2D?
    whos wary bout the 3D?
    which is better 2D or 3D?
    are you glad 2D is gone?
    do you want 2D to stay?
    do you hope 2D aspects will stay?
    or do you want the entire thing 3D?

you get the idea, this is basically your opinion on 2D vs the new 3D
    (not to be confused with the thread bout the 3D)
    Please give good reasons to your dislikes/likes, exc.
    --------------------
    My Opinion:
    I love the 2D, im gonna miss it, especially the 2.5D in gen4, that was my fav. it had the right amount of 3D that doesnt go over board, while it kept the good old classic feel to the franchise we loved in gen1&2.
    Im wary bout the new 3D cuz i play the yugioh 5Ds world championship games, and their 3D graphics SUCK; its over pixelated, blocky, and the sprites look horrible, and id hate to see that happen to pokemon.
    im gonna be honest and say i wish WC would use gen4 graphics instead or the graphics from the pokemon ranger series, it would be far better.
    but from what ive seen on pokemon sunday(mind you this is the BETA we are seein), i think it looks great, and i have high hopes for this new 3D aspect.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    It doesn't really matter as long as the general concept is the same.

Ryden

Friendly Lurker
    Years
    As I've said before in different words, its honestly too soon for me to really say if this change will be good or bad, it simply seem interesting right now.

My only concern that comes to mind about it right now is: What if they put too much into trying to make the game 3D and it end up making for a shorter game and smaller world to explore? That would be disappointing and not a trade off I'd like.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    2D really wasn't that bad. RSE and FR/LG did a pretty good job with it. DPPt appeared to have some 2D still present, like 2D spirtes in battle, and it handled it pretty well too. I think that Gen 4 was like the bridge between 2D and 3D and now with b&w we will be fully expanding everything to 3D. It may look kind of weird or unrecognizable at first, remembered when I first got Pearl I was shocked by the graphics, but still awesome. IMHO, b&w should be on the 3DS instead of the DS. I think making it on the DS would hamper some of the effects in the game, and how will it be compatible with pokemon games that come out later on in the gen but are on the 3DS? Bad move by Nintendo, but mehhh I guess I'll just have to deal with it.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    I like the look of it now. But really, we need to wait and see to make a proper assessment. Although I don't think it's as 3D as you think. While I call Gen IV 3D, if you were to call it 2.5D, this is probably going to be 2.75D.

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
    >Implying Gen 4 is 2.5D
    There is no situation where something that is 2D is made to look 3D as far as I can tell. I suppose in a way it is because when sprites are at a distance they change size to make it look like a change in distance. Meh, might look into that a bit more. Anyway, It's the same as in Gen 4 from the looks of it, and while I didn't mind it then, the camera angles kind of ruin it in Gen 5. Looks a bit shoddy.

Aureol

Kanto/Electric-Type Enthusiast
    Years
    I don't know, Pokemon is meant to be a 2D game. Let's look at Sonic: the 2D games were great, but the 3D games... well, weren't (this isn't nostalgia factor: go check various reviews if you doubt me). While I'm open to the idea of 3D games, I'm just afraid that Pokemon will lose it's feel as a good-ol' 2D RPG. Well, the battle system is relatively 2D, so we've still got that.

Years
    I think both are great, but I'm not sure I'd want a Pokémon game to be 100% 3D, at least not yet. The battle scenes, anyway. It's nice to have sprites to edit, and the main series games are simply not Stadium/Colosseum/XD/Battle Revolution.

Sage Harpuia

Hey, listen
    Years
    The 3D looks perfect to me, even if I also like 2D.

I don't know, Pokemon is meant to be a 2D game. Let's look at Sonic: the 2D games were great, but the 3D games... well, weren't (this isn't nostalgia factor: go check various reviews if you doubt me).

Well, you can't judge the passage from 2D to 3D by a game developed by Sonic team that, sadly, wasn't able to do a good game in all this time.
    If you want a positive example, look at final fantasy IV for DS and compare it to the original final fantasy IV: like pokemon the old one has its charm, but the new one is just awesome.

Hypno

OT: Eggaro
    Years
    I kinda wanted to keep it 2D for most of the part but when the battle scene started to switch to like Pokemon Stadium graphics, but oh well.

Mortalis

[css-div="background-color:#4e9dda;text-align:cent
    Years
    Actually, Diamond, Pearl, Platinum and HG/SS are all 3D except for the characters, the characters are 2.5D

They used a rendering system for the buildings, rooms, objects, etc. If you use an emulator, you can see that everything is completely 3D using a hack that allows you to move the camera around, but going back to not hacking and looking at the full 3D of the game in black and white;

Personally, I think they over did the 3D and by doing so, made everything look a little plain ... The sky in the distance looks pretty plain except for the bridge ... but yes. Over done.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2014
    I love both! 3D is a change and should be exciting, but 2D is the graphic design I grew up with and obviously will always be a good one.

Mew396

World Champion Trainer!
    Years
    I'll miss the old 2-d but the 3-d is taking Pokemon to a new level and I think it'll enhance gameplay. It might take me a while to get used to though.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Honestly, I couldn't be more thrilled for the 3D graphics than I am now. From what I can tell, it seems GameFreak has really taken that step up from the 2D and 2.5D, and given a whole new look to Pokémon. I don't see what they do as a bad thing, but more so making this generation completely superior to the others as far as graphics go. I can't actually give my full opinion on it, for reasons that I haven't experienced it myself as yet. However, I am pleased to know that GameFreak is beginning to climb the ladder and make Pokémon more advanced in various new ways.

I liked the 2D and 2.5D graphics in the 4th Generation. Hey, even the graphics for the 3rd Generation were really well done, and when I pictured Pokémon being played through a 3D game, it was hard to visualize. It didn't look right, but seeing what they've done now puts a whole new twist to that idea. I'll miss the 4th Gen graphics to an extent, but if I miss it so much, then nothing stops me from picking up DPPt or HG/SS and playing them again. I can say for myself though, that I'm excited to play through the Isshu Region and see how everything looks in the world of Pokémon through a new look.

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    It doesn't really matter as long as the general concept is the same.

i completely agree ^_^

It doesn't matter. As long as Pokémon lives.

true :3

I don't know, Pokemon is meant to be a 2D game. Let's look at Sonic: the 2D games were great, but the 3D games... well, weren't (this isn't nostalgia factor: go check various reviews if you doubt me). While I'm open to the idea of 3D games, I'm just afraid that Pokemon will lose it's feel as a good-ol' 2D RPG. Well, the battle system is relatively 2D, so we've still got that.

ya i know how ya feel, id like it to stay like D/P/Pt that was brilliant :3

Actually, Diamond, Pearl, Platinum and HG/SS are all 3D except for the characters, the characters are 2.5D

They used a rendering system for the buildings, rooms, objects, etc. If you use an emulator, you can see that everything is completely 3D using a hack that allows you to move the camera around, but going back to not hacking and looking at the full 3D of the game in black and white;

Personally, I think they over did the 3D and by doing so, made everything look a little plain ... The sky in the distance looks pretty plain except for the bridge ... but yes. Over done.

im not good with all that technical mumbo jumbo lol, i tend to simplify it ^^"

ya over done, i see that now..... -_-"

I love both! 3D is a change and should be exciting, but 2D is the graphic design I grew up with and obviously will always be a good one.

indeed

Honestly, I couldn't be more thrilled for the 3D graphics than I am now. From what I can tell, it seems GameFreak has really taken that step up from the 2D and 2.5D, and given a whole new look to Pokémon. I don't see what they do as a bad thing, but more so making this generation completely superior to the others as far as graphics go. I can't actually give my full opinion on it, for reasons that I haven't experienced it myself as yet. However, I am pleased to know that GameFreak is beginning to climb the ladder and make Pokémon more advanced in various new ways.

I liked the 2D and 2.5D graphics in the 4th Generation. Hey, even the graphics for the 3rd Generation were really well done, and when I pictured Pokémon being played through a 3D game, it was hard to visualize. It didn't look right, but seeing what they've done now puts a whole new twist to that idea. I'll miss the 4th Gen graphics to an extent, but if I miss it so much, then nothing stops me from picking up DPPt or HG/SS and playing them again. I can say for myself though, that I'm excited to play through the Isshu Region and see how everything looks in the world of Pokémon through a new look.

same here mate ^_^

wow so many comments in 1day, im glad you all gave your opinions :D

btw pip, the 3DS is gonna flop, its their hugest mistake since virtual boy, they just released the DSi, & DSiXLL noone is gonna pay for another overpriced DScounterpart, when they already had to pay between 180-210$ for the DSi
    and hell i havent even gotta a DSi yet, i personally think its a waste of money.
    ill just go get a new DS lite, much more worth it, i can use the GBA on it ;)

Back