• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your starter pokemon isn't your partner

Years
  • I was quite sad to do it but on Leaf Green I ditched Charizard for a Ninetales cause there weren't enough spaces on my party unfortunately. As a rule I tend to keep them though :)

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I typically keep my starter throughout the entire game.

Only exception was Yellow, for painfully obvious reasons. And in Colosseum, I'd typically drop Umbreon about halfway through in favor of other Pokemon and only keep Espeon the whole way through.

Years
  • I've found myself ditching my starter more recently (sometimes completely off my team, other times one of the lesser members on my party). Off the top of my head, I know that my Typhlosion is away in a box on my HeartGold, and my Empoleon is the sixth member of my party on Platinum, but just because it knows Surf and Waterfall.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I always leave the starter now, and have done so in four games to date. I don't pick out things to replace the starter per se, but do often end up with an MVP regardless.

Blue: Bulbasaur → Nidoran♂
    Fire Red: Charmander → Farfetch'd
    SoulSilver: Chikorita → Zubat pre-E4; Jolteon post-E4
    White: Snivy → Mienfoo & Archen

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • I usually ditch my starter after league.
    Up to league, I have it in my party but not as main partner =)
    If I remember correctly then...
    FR - Charizard - partner Machoke
    Emerald - Blaziken - partner Rayquaza
    Platinum - Infernape - partner Lucario
    Soul Silver - Typhlosion - partner Lugia
    Black - Emboar - partner Reshiram

Years
    • Age 27
    • N/A
    • Seen Mar 23, 2013
    In Emerald I ditched my Grovyle for Spinda once. As amazing as it might sound, I got all the way through the league with just him. xD By the time I was through using him in 2007, he was level 82, I think.

And I did it another run-through with Lotad in Black replacing Snivy.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I don't often use my starters tbh, I normally find that they're very average Pokemon and their strategies just aren't interesting. They're just basic Pokemon with standard traits and attacks. I prefer using more interesting Pokemon that'll either give me a challenge in the game or provide an interesting strategy to use :3

SeyedKevin

Neo Genesis Iron Man
    Years
  • Okay, guys. Sue me - I ditch my starters. I ditch my starters when I no longer deem them worthy of my companionship, because this is a tough Pokémon world we play in - to serve the best, you have to be the best.

As the vastly accepted conqueror and ruler of the Pokémon world, when a better and more powerful pokémon meets my gaze, I have no option but to disband my faithful Charmander to enhance my strength and perpetuate my reputation as - forgive me - your pokésuperior.

Sure, you may think of it as bad as switching plates with someone at the cafeteria when they're not looking and they have something tasty. Forgive me, that I actually do this - but my title of supreme overlord of the Pokémon world excuses this.

Yes, flame me. Bait me. At least I admitted to it... ditching my starters, that is, not swapping plates at the cafeteria. When the time comes and you claim title of supreme overlord-ship, you'll come to understand it as a necessity for greatness.

Supreme overlord of the pokéworld, over and out.

Years
    • tx
    • Seen May 20, 2012
    i have kept my starter and ive also ditched it for a butterfree i honestly think butterfree kicks ass better than any starter

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2019
    Who uses their starters anyway?

So ive been lurking around and I havent seen it soooo, who actually uses their starters throughout the game/metagame and why?
    I know that I grow attached to mine and generally keep it by my side unless its stats hold me back. I was upset that I had to PC my emboar because of his defensive disabilities, but believe me as soon as I get a chance to breed him out thats gonna change ;)

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I always used to use a starter no matter what game I was playing and I never understood how anyone couldn't but... I haven't really used starters at all lately. I didn't overly like any of the starters in gen IV or V so while I used my starter of choice the very first time I played through each gen, I never used them after that. I typically just replace whatever starter I would have chosen with Cherrim when I play any game now. xD;

I used Piplup in Diamond, then used Cherrim in Platinum instead of Turtwig or whatever I chose. I did use my Totodile in HG. In Black, I used my Snivy. In White, I ditched my Tepig for other Pokemon. In Black, I think I might have used Oshawott but I actually traded it in from another game because I decided partway through that I wanted to try it out. So I did use a starter, but it wasn't actually my starter. :P
    So ive been lurking around and I havent seen it soooo, who actually uses their starters throughout the game/metagame and why?
    I know that I grow attached to mine and generally keep it by my side unless its stats hold me back. I was upset that I had to PC my emboar because of his defensive disabilities, but believe me as soon as I get a chance to breed him out thats gonna change ;)
    There was actually a thread a little ways down the page on the same thing so I merged them~

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    UGH ERICA SO LONG.

Basically every starter I have used, up until HG and B/W, was a bird type (except in Pearl where I have a feeling it was Roserade for some reason lol) because I find the starters boring to use and birds, or anything that has wings is generally of more use to me early on. :( Except funnily enough, when you think of type advantages - that isn't true lool.

Years
    • Seen May 23, 2012
    I usually ditch my starters. The only time I didn't was for my Treeko in emerald. most recently I ditched my Snivy in White version and Liligant has taken his place as my main.

Back