• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Old voices or new voices?

Old Pokemon Anime voices, or new ones?

• Old (Seasons 1-8)

Votes: 23 67.6%
  • New (Seasons 9- present)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Mixed/Both

Votes: 10 29.4%

• Total voters
Years
  • Personally I'm mixed myself, while Ash sounds a little better since you can tell a guy has an easier job voicing him than Veronica did, Veronica's voice for Ash just had that charm to it, so again, I really am mixed on this, though I know I hate Brock's new voice on so many levels...*shudders* Dawn has a really good voice but no classic va to compare too

what would you guys say?

Sweet Candace

So Awesome! /)^ɛ^(\
    Years
  • Dawn's voice was really high in the very first episode, HATED all the BF voices, epsically May's. They made her sound like a mom, which I didn't like. I'm not really sure what I like, but it certaintly isn't the first choice on the poll

Years
  • This could be more flame bait. However, since the tone is civil so far, I'll keep it up. The second things turn, I'll lock it in a heartbeat.

And mixed. I'm finally getting used to them, such as it is.

Me2UJus4Free

It's peanut butter jelly time!
    Years
  • Personally I'm mixed myself, while Ash sounds a little better since you can tell a guy has an easier job voicing him than Veronica did, Veronica's voice for Ash just had that charm to it, so again, I really am mixed on this, though I know I hate Brock's new voice on so many levels...*shudders* Dawn has a really good voice but no classic va to compare too

what would you guys say?

Ash's new voice actress now sounds so much more pleasing to the ears to me. She's really gotten so much better.

Katsu Koneko

明日がある
    Years
  • Ash's new voice actress now sounds so much more pleasing to the ears to me. She's really gotten so much better.

I agree, a few weeks ago I put in the DVD of the re-dubbed Mastermind and I was like "Whoa...that's Sarah back then wow.." She's gotten better from the Mastermind Special.

My answer is I'm mixed. xD At first I hated the new voices, but then I got used to them. Though I also love the old voices..so I dunno. Yay for the mixed option.

Random

-
    Years
    • Seen Feb 10, 2008
    I say the old actor voices, it just not same with ash's old voice, its kind of hard for me to adjust too.

Years
  • This could be more flame bait. However, since the tone is civil so far, I'll keep it up. The second things turn, I'll lock it in a heartbeat.

And mixed. I'm finally getting used to them, such as it is.
    I never made this for a flame war o.o;;;;

EDIT: And Ash is still voiced by a girl?! sounds like a guy to me!

PikaPi123

Pikachu Power!!!
    Years
  • And Ash is still voiced by a girl?! sounds like a guy to me!

Yeah, Ash is voiced by Sarah Natochenny.

Ok. I really liked the old voices better. Hearing Ash's voice for 8 years never makes you not want to grow out of it. Sarah's Ash sounded like an old man with a cold in the beginning. But I really do think that she's getting better and I think she can go far with his voice.
    Brock's new voice I don't really mind but I thought May's voice was way too high. Dawn's voice is good but there's no old VA to compare it to soo....

Edit: I meant NOT want to grow out of it.

Last edited:

fy@x5

~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Just ash's voice change made me never watch it again... but I still watch Johto and the ones before it...

Years
  • But I think Diamond and Pearl is one of the best seasons I've seen o.o; even with Brock's god awful voices, and Proffesor Oak's *shudders*

Last edited:
    Years
  • I can deal with everyone's new voices, except Ash's. Frankly, Sarah is nothing compared to Veronica. Veronica is a very good VA. Sarah is... meh. All of her emotions sound fake to me.

No, I'm not bothered by the fact that it's different, it's just that it isn't all that great, imo.

I think they should have gotten a guy to do Ash's voice. I mean, it would be totally different, but it might've been a decent change.

As for other's voices... I'm not impressed, except for a few. Michelle Knotz & Craig Blair. They are -by far- the best. Michelle did a better May than Veronica, and her Misty/Jessie aren't too bad, either. Craig is a very good VA, also. His Tracey is good, and Pikachu had the best voice in that Mystery Dungeon special thing. Brendon & Roark were great, too. I wish they used him for Ash. :P

Me2UJus4Free

It's peanut butter jelly time!
    Years
  • I can deal with everyone's new voices, except Ash's. Frankly, Sarah is nothing compared to Veronica. Veronica is a very good VA. Sarah is... meh. All of her emotions sound fake to me.

Ash's only emotions are happy, one minutes of depression, I'm a loser, and I'm gonna yell to the top of my lungs. He doesn't have emotions, and I doubt you watched any of the latest episodes.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    I think they've all improved from Mastermind. But I don't like the acting sometimes. I mean, is this some of their first time as VAs? If so, why are they being used on Pokemon? (Which actually does get good ratings despite what some people would think o.O)

I like Ash's new voice but I don't like the acting at times. By Advanced Battle Veronica Taylor's voice was kind of annoying me anyway. I don't know why it did, but when I watch Johto and then an Advanced Battle repeat, it really annoys me.

James's old voice was also annoying by the end. Hilarious, but annoying. I think he made him squeal too much at nothing. The new Jessie's voice goes too high pitched for my liking at some times, but I don't really mind. The new Meowth sonds pretty much the same as the old one except he sounds a bit scatchier but I don't mind either.

I really like Brock's new voice. But then I never really cared about Brock, so...

I hated May's and Max's new voices. They were just annoying. But they're gone now and even if they do come back in Sinnoh it'll only be for 1 or 2 eps.

I think Dawn's and Paul's voices are very good (except Dawn for the first few mins in the first ep) and since they're voices weren't replaced there's nothing really to moan about.

Back