• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Crafting of Teams, Rivals, and Heros.

Darksun45230

Story Developer
Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2016
    Pokenote: Forgive me if this doesn't help. I thought a few suggestions for the major points in your game would help. If I'm wrong in anyway, or you find this material flawed please don't hesitate to point it out.

Introduction
    What I notice is that often storylines, being quite simple, are often over thought. The great thing about Pokemon is that it doesn't really require a dynamic storyline to make it work. But how about those of us who want an original idea? Can't think of one? You might think it to be too hard. I mean, who has the time to come up with something like that?

As a student the craft of creative writing I learn that it's not as hard as it sounds. For games in general, a simplistic yet original story is often the best course. So how to do we get this?

There is no magic formula I can give you. If there were every nut could write a story. But there are a few pointers you should know.

I can't remember what site I got this from, but it's called the Acid Test. It's an idea manager that's stuck with me. No, it's not a program, but simply, writing.

Let's say you want to explore an idea about Pokemon. But what? Remember, a good hack follows the rules of other Pokemon games in terms that we all share. No violence (to a point, a simple shove or push to show character would do.) We can have all the fighting done with Pokemon; that's the beautiful part. Language too, grammar mistakes, all these and more are covered in the Ultimate Turnoffs section. Unfortunately my status doesn't allow me to link you to it (it's found in ROM Hacking.)

Getting Started with Acid Test
    So what do we do? How does this work? Believe it or not, writing can be just as complicated as hacking. Anything worth doing is hard. Let's start off on the premise, the overall idea surrounding the story. Do you want it to be different? Or do you want the same actions (go to Gyms, fight E4, ect.) with a different viewpoint or idea? Take a breather, come up with some ideas while jogging, doing homework, ect. When you think you have your best batch of ideas write them like so.

Idea; Trainer challenges Gyms.

Why?
    - So he can brag.
    - So he can get to level 99.
    - So he can become Pokemon Master.

Situation; Trainer challenges Gyms so he can become Pokemon Master.

That's the idea for all the Pokemon series since Blue/Red. But what if we inserted a fresh batch of ideas. Here are some off the top of my head. Notice my Idea is still the same, the reasons why are not.

Idea; Trainer challenges Gyms so he can become Pokemon Master.

Why?
    - Because it's his dream.
    - Because he wants to collect data on Pokemon.
    - Because he wants to beat his rival.

While all the above are okay reasons, why not make them a little more in-depth. Why does he want to defeat his rival? Is his rival his sibling, who got all the attention as they grew up? Does the protagonist (hero) want to beat his sibling at his own game? Perhaps his rival is someone who holds something against the protagonist? Is he the little brother who felt overshadowed? Perhaps they are trying to capture someone's interest (an important Trainer who only acknowledges the champion, who knows? Parent, celebrity, bad guy?)

Why does it have to be about the rival? What about Team Blank? (Blank I use as an example for all teams.) The premise for Team Blank was normally to capture Pokemon. But what kind? Team Magma wanted Legendary Ground Pokemon because they believed the more land the better. Team Aqua believed vice versa, that the more water the better. While these are simple, we can just as much fun with a little tweaking.

Idea; Team Blank wants to steal Pokemon.

Why?
    - Because they want to be popular.
    - Because they can.
    - Because they will help them with their goals.

Situation; Team Blank wants to steal Pokemon because they will help them with their goals.

The last is what has always been done in the series. They steal Pokemon because they somehow help them sculpt their ideals. This is why Legendary Pokemon became so popular. The only Team that didn't steal Legendaries was Team Rocket (and Snagem but we're not doing GameCube, or are we?) Not all Teams goals should be to steal Legendary Pokemon. Their methods though; this should be their defining point. We don't have to change the idea of stealing Pokemon, no; we can just change "How" they do it.

Idea; Team Blank wants to steal Legendary Pokemon because...
    - They want to take over the world.
    - They want to change the world.
    - They want to destroy the world.

The big three. While the last idea has never been used, it can be introduced in a pinch. For example, let's say Team Blank tried to control the Legendary Pokemon. The Legendary Pokemon turned too powerful and tried to destroy things. Hence we have introduced a pre-end-of-the-world scenario. Team Rocket tried to do the first, while Team Aqua and Magma did the second.

The Bad Ideas
    There are good ideas and bad ideas. The Acid Test is there to destroy the bad and improve the good. Everything has a reason. Pokemon are good because that is their nature.

Do we really think that people are evil? Do you think they think of themselves as evil? No. Stating an organization is evil simply because they are is bad. Here is an example.

Idea; Team Blank wants to take over the world.

Why?
    - Because they are evil.

Why?
    - Because they are.

Congratulations, you have a weak idea. Weak ideas generally end something like this "Because they are", "Because it is," or "It just does." If there is no reason for it to happen then it shouldn't happen. Here is another example.

Idea; Trainer wants to become Pokemon Master.

Why?
    - Because it is his dream.

Why?
    - It just is.

Once again, why is it his dream? Did he listen to the tales told by his pop? Perhaps he wants the fame to start a Day-Care? Or maybe gain acknowledgement from someone? So let's try this again.

Idea; Trainer wants to become Pokemon Master.

Why?
    - Because he wants the fame.
    - Because he wants money.
    - Because he wants to be the strongest.

The first two are vanity items. Fame and money go hand-in-hand unless you separate the two with a good idea. What if he wants the money to save his grandma's house from being sold to the champion (Happy Gilmore all the way XD.) What if he wants the fame because he is a jerk, or maybe you want to allegorize something? But what indeed is the strongest mean? While sounding very simple, one might confuse it with a bad idea without some thought. What does strength entail? Does he want to be courageous? Does he want to be powerful? Does he want to control others with this power? Or is it to prove to himself that he can do it? All these qualities make a fantastic and interesting character.

Truthfully, there are no bad ideas. They are ideas that you need to work on a little bit more.

Putting It Together
    What does this all mean? Seriously? Are you lost? We'll figure something out.

What we want to do is simple.
    - To give the character a different reason to beat Gyms and E4 if at all.
    - To give Team Blank a different reason to try to steal Pokemon.
    - To give the rival a reason to challenge the character.

What do I mean? Well ask yourself, is it really logical that a ten year old kid suddenly jumps up and proclaims he wants to be a Pokemon Master? Like all humans, we need a reason for doing something. If we don't then we're not human (that could be a good robot storyline.)

Idea; Hero challenges Pokemon League.

Why?
    - Because he made a promise to his dying mother.
    - Because he wants money, glory, and fame.
    - Because he wants to win someone's heart.

These are different reasons. All have different viewpoints involved. Let us choose the third idea and go with it.

Why?
    - Because he is trying to prove his worthiness.
    - Because he is trying to impress that someone's father.
    - Because he wants that someone's affection.

I'd like to go with the first idea. The Hero couldn't accept that he was already worthy, so he starts challenging Gyms to prove to himself he's worthy. It's an old tale, but nonetheless salvageable.

Situation; Hero challenges Pokemon League to prove his worthiness.

Check Test: Why?
    So he can prove to himself that he is worthy of that someone's heart.

If your idea has survived the Acid Test it is a good idea. However take into the fact that your trainer is still a kid. And your audience is expecting something a little more watered down.

While I'm not 100% sure I've explained myself well, so I'll mark up a few more examples.

Idea; Team Blank wants to steal Pokemon

Why?
    - Because they want world domination.

Why?
    - Because they believe people are abusing Pokemon.

Isn't this unexpected? The mindset behind Team Blank is that they believe that Pokemon are abused by regular trainers. It's a reversal of every other objective. Instead of stealing because they are evil, they steal to prevent evil. With this in mind, they become more real then any other team, and in a pseudo reflection make the other Teams who do steal Pokemon more realistic.

After all this we can give Team Blank a proper name. Like, Team Retrieve, or Team Censor. Who is their leader? Is it man or a woman? What is he or she like? Does everyone on Team Retrieve believe they are doing the right thing? What colors do they wear? Do they have Pokemon who focus on protecting themselves? We can ask ourselves basic questions from here on out until we get to the point. The point where we must ask "Where do we end it?"

Do we simply defeat them and they disappear? Maybe they realize the error of their ways? Maybe they return later on to exact revenge? The doors are all open; it's up to you to lead us to them. Is there a Legendary Pokemon at the end of the tunnel? Perhaps a fleet of them?

Now for Rivals. Rivals are tricky. They come in all shapes and sizes. From kids like Gary/Blue from Pokemon Red/Blue who act superior, and rivals that abuse Pokemon but learns the error of his ways, to simple people who just want to make friends with all. Don't be the latter, because making friends isn't interesting. Heros and Rivals almost always need to be in some kind of external conflict. Whether it be a difference of opinion, or the need to stop prove their own ideals. A good Rival reflects the Hero, in a way that complements them both. Say your Hero is trying to make himself worthy of that someone special. What if that Rival is doing the same thing for the same person? What conflict happens then?

Also don't make the Rival too serious; there is a difference between a Rival and a Nemesis. Rivals are in the end friendly people who enjoy the fight and learn a lesson in the end. While a Nemesis never learns, they are dark, often stubborn which makes them the perfect antagonists. However you'll find that a Nemesis is often taken by the Team 'Leader' such as Giovanni of Team Rocket. It would be interesting to see both merged into one.

Where to place the Rival is also as important as it's crafting. Who is he exactly? Is he a boy, maybe she's a girl? A simplistic Rival would be your next door neighbor. While a difficult but just a simple Rival would be a thief who abuses Pokemon. What kind of background? Why does he stand in your way? Refer to my hero from the above. He wants to prove to himself that he is worthy of that special someone's heart. So what does the rival do? What all rivals do of course, either enhance his challenge by visiting him every now and then, or outright get in his way.

Idea; Rival challenges Hero to fight.

Why?
    - Because he is trying to become Champion.
    - Because he wants to get in the Hero's way.
    - Because he just does.

Situation; Rival challenges Hero to a fight to get in his way.

Well, well, well, since you've already spotted the third choice as a bad idea let's choose the second idea. Now we must ask yourself yet again, why?

Why?
    - Because Rival is trying to win the same person's heart.
    - Because Rival is that someone's family member who disapproves of the Hero.
    - Because Rival just does.

Hmmm...? While love interest exactly Pokemon material, the hints should suffice. It gives the Hero and the Rival a reason to fight. It gives the Rival plenty of reasons to challenge you, and you to fight back.

Final Word
    Overall what these ideas mean is not a drastic change. But inserting a reason gives us more of an opinion of the trainer then the regular formula. Sure you can still go to Gyms and challenge the Pokemon League, but why not make it under different circumstances? Could the Pokemon League be taken over by, lord forbid, Pokemon!? Could the Gyms all fall victim to Team Blank?

Ideas are nothing special. Once you get your basic ideas the rest will fall into place. Even though you've been shown a way to filter ideas, you still need to find ideas out for your own. There is no idea machine. So go out and try to think of some on your own.

Back