• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is the point?

Guitar God in Training

Glam Metal Rules
Years
  • What is the point of trading or hacking for shinies?

In my opinion, the whole point of a shiny is to be lucky enough to encounter one and if you didn't find it yourself then what's the point?

The fact that I found shinies in the wild or took the time to soft reset for them is what makes them valuable to me.

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2009
    ^People do crazy things from Envy.

Some shinies are plain ugly to me D: and I like my pokemon either way.

Euphoric Magikarp

Magikarp ~<3
    Years
  • I dunno, maybe it's because people look and look and get nothing. Then they see other people get lucky enough to get one, so maybe they take the easy way out.

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    I see shinys as collectors items, not something i hope to get lucky with. I find their aesthetics better on certain pokes (Swampert) and some have nostalgic value (Red Gyara). I have over 80 UT shinies, none of which were caught myself. As for hacking, I'd imagine people do it for the reasons i do but are more desperate.

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    shinies are pretty useless, the only thing good about it is that it has a different look. I will never hack on a game I worked on.

diamondpearl876

you can breathe now. x
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 25, 2022
    I trade for shinies for collecting purposes.

I don't hack my shinies, though.

Back