• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Happened to Ashes Voice and others in Pokemon Diamond and Pearl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johto Legend 17

A Legend of Johto
Years
  • Though I never agian shall watch pokemon the anime but when my 9 year old brother was watching pokemon diamond and pearl the characters voices just sounded horrible compared to when I was a child watching the earlier generations of that anime.

The big question is What happened to the people who origianally voiced for pokemon cause right now the english version voices suck badly.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    They've improved. The dubbing switched to PUSA because, apparently, 4Kids wanted too much money. So they had to switch VAs because of their contracts.

Oh no, this is gonna become a VA bashing thread...

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • They've improved. The dubbing switched to PUSA because, apparently, 4Kids wanted too much money. So they had to switch VAs because of their contracts.

They've also went into more competant hands. (4Kids to PUSA)

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Ash went through Puberty and Brock got AIDS. You know how that goes with PUSA :).

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2016
    Not that I watch the show, but the new voices are fairly awful.

Then again, so is the entire show, and it's target audience of first-graders probably doesn't really care about voice acting.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2015
    For those who hate/dislike the show:
    Watch the Japanese version (it's much more teen oriented). ;)

Years
  • They've improved. The dubbing switched to PUSA because, apparently, 4Kids wanted too much money. So they had to switch VAs because of their contracts.

They did? I thought it was more PUSA wanting control. Oh, well. Either way, I'm not going to let this, as it's a moot point. So, I'll leave it up, for the moment, and close it later in the day.

Arumus

Insert user title here..
    Years
  • Ash sounds more like a kid than he did in the first series. He had a deep voice in the first episode. Brock sounded more like a guy you don't want to get in a fight with.

st.jimmy

ZOMG!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    ash turned thirteen and when little boys hit that age things start to,drop circular objects and voices.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    ash turned thirteen and when little boys hit that age things start to,drop circular objects and voices.

Correction: Humans don't have 2 Adam's Apples.

Seriously, PUSA was just playing like a Retarded Newborn and did not offer a contract to the Original Voice actors, or at least were to stupid to make his voice change noticeably.
    You'll get used to them. Just don't try to stab your speakers. And make sure flying monkeys don't steal them either.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • There's nothing wrong with the new voices, they just need some work. I honestly believe that Ash sounds better, mainly because he and May stopped sounding so much alike.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Ah, how I miss Veronica Taylor's Ash.. ;~;

But yeah, like everyone has said, the voices changed.
    It's been that was for a couple of years, now.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Ash sounds more like a kid than he did in the first series. He had a deep voice in the first episode. Brock sounded more like a guy you don't want to get in a fight with.

In the first episode, a lot of his lines sounded a LOT like a girl. Listen to the the last line before "Who's that Pokemon?", that one in particular really stood out (that's why I remember it XD). His voice sounds a lot deeper now.

They've also went into more competant hands. (4Kids to PUSA)

Yeah, kind of. Although, I thought "4Kids Lite" sounded like a better desciption. PUSA don't edit as much (in fact, I think they've only edited about 2/3 things, I think, and the made up language that was on the screen the latest episode wasn't edited even though they edited it off the screen last time) and started to keep more BGM by DP. But they don't make much of an effort to keep Team Rocket's lines the same as the Japanese (although, I think that was the same with 4Kids?) and a lot of people would argue that PUSA's BGM isn't as good as 4Kids. But I dunno, I thought the BGM was good in the latest episode.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • Yeah, kind of. Although, I thought "4Kids Lite" sounded like a better desciption. PUSA don't edit as much (in fact, I think they've only edited about 2/3 things, I think, and the made up language that was on the screen the latest episode wasn't edited even though they edited it off the screen last time) and started to keep more BGM by DP. But they don't make much of an effort to keep Team Rocket's lines the same as the Japanese (although, I think that was the same with 4Kids?) and a lot of people would argue that PUSA's BGM isn't as good as 4Kids. But I dunno, I thought the BGM was good in the latest episode.

Well, yeah I guess so. But I guess they do have to edit things out because in America shows only air for about 21 minutes. In Japan, they air for like 24 minutes.

The BGM isn't bad but at least they keep some silence in so we won't have to hear it all thge time.

Years
  • What i don't see to understand is (i only caught a glimpse of the new episodes) that after so many many years, that Ash's voice, is still not dropped?

I mean What the hell?!

Evee_

Josh, dad found your Scootaaa
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2008
    i dont like how the voices have changed too.
    i wish the original series was still around on tv.

what happened to misty?? she suddenly dissapeared. i obv havent been watching every new series -_-

too busy playing the games i guess XD

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    This thread is slowly filling with "I don't watch DP..." posts...which is typical of this forum :/

Well, yeah I guess so. But I guess they do have to edit things out because in America shows only air for about 21 minutes. In Japan, they air for like 24 minutes.

The BGM isn't bad but at least they keep some silence in so we won't have to hear it all thge time.

Well, PUSA haven't had any "time edits" (4Kids had loads though). And yeah, they're starting to keep some silenece now which is good.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • i dont like how the voices have changed too.
    i wish the original series was still around on tv.

what happened to misty?? she suddenly dissapeared. i obv havent been watching every new series -_-

too busy playing the games i guess XD

Misty was dropped from the show to make room for May (Hoenn- Battle Frontier). The reason people believe she was dropped was because she became stale in mid- Johto. She had no quest and her pokémon had many disadvantages in the show (such as some not being able to be on land).

To make sure that the same thing didn't happen to May, the person who many of the fandom believe saved the show, they dropped her so she wouldn't get stale. As a result we have Dawn (Diamond and Pearl- present).

[QUOTE/]

Well, PUSA haven't had any "time edits"(4Kids had loads though).

[/quote]

Oh, I see. I guess I got mixed up.

Last edited:

Evee_

Josh, dad found your Scootaaa
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2008
    Misty was dropped from the show to make room for May (Hoenn- Battle Frontier). The reason people believe she was dropped was because she became stale in mid- Johto. She had no quest and her pokémon had many disadvantages in the show (such as some not being able to be on land).

To make sure that the same thing didn't happen to May, the person who many of the fandom believe saved the show, they dropped her so she wouldn't get stale. As a result we have Dawn (Diamond and Pearl- present).

shame :/
    thanks for letting me know. ive been wondering for ages as to what happened.
    ill have to see what the storyline was for her being dropped on one of the episodes i guess.
    thats if there was one. she could of just vanished :|

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back