• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Showdown in Pewter City" Episode Discussion

Years
  • Here is where you can discuss the starting point of Gym Leader battles in "Showdown in Pewter City."

My review to come forthwith.

Posting it incredibly early, as I don't believe I'll be on during daytime hours. So, better safe than sorry. Have a good day, people.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Ah, Brock seemed so cool in this episode. He seems nothing like the crazy hormone-overloaded guy we have today.

And so Ash's "didn't-actually-win-but-gets-the-badge-anyway" streak starts. Some say it was a good thing he didn't win most of his gym battles because it shows he was just atarting out back then. But how is it fair that everyone else battled to get their badges!? Did GARY help everyone out? I don't think so. Yet Gary went out of the league before him. It makes no sense at all.

Years
  • Ah, Brock seemed so cool in this episode. He seems nothing like the crazy hormone-overloaded guy we have today.

And so Ash's "didn't-actually-win-but-gets-the-badge-anyway" streak starts. Some say it was a good thing he didn't win most of his gym battles because it shows he was just atarting out back then. But how is it fair that everyone else battled to get their badges!? Did GARY help everyone out? I don't think so. Yet Gary went out of the league before him. It makes no sense at all.

(Turns out, I could have been on during daylight hours, after all. Oh, well. That's the beauty of the syndicated episodes -- can be posted anytime.)

I actually liked serious Brock, myself, as a nice counter to Ash's immaturity and Misty's bluster. Then, he went wacky and there it all went for me. Oh, well, I enjoyed it while I could.

As for Gary's badges, well, he's a non-issue at this stage of the game, and wouldn't return for 20 some episodes. Therefore, it's difficult to care, plus we don't see any other rival Trainers -- it's all through Ash's perspective. Thus, the onus is only on him, and we got to figure out the rest.

Regarding the final battle: since Ground (which is Brock's secondary type) negates Electric (oops, Nintendo, should have used a mascot that could be outright effective against the first GL), I can understand the freebie. The next Badge onward (a few episodes later), not so much.

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
  • This episode in general wasnt good. Team Rocket's pit traps begin here. We meet Brock who will be good for the first few seasons then start getting on everyone's nerve (maybe its time for Tracey to travel again?). We have Flint the deadbeat dad who thinks its ok to harm Pikachu to win a Gym Battle. Then the whole final battle thing was completely wrong. Also, major Dubbing error. 4kids changed a lot of art with digital paint for american auidences but messed up by not changing the prices on things but giving them $ sign (seriously, $650 for a rock and $1975 for dinner? At least put in decimals!)

However on the plus side a rare case of subtle Ash perversion: when Misty gets up at the restaurant he takes his eye off his food but instead of looking at her face his eye follows her rear.

Years
  • 4kids changed a lot of art with digital paint for american auidences but messed up by not changing the prices on things but giving them $ sign (seriously, $650 for a rock and $1975 for dinner? At least put in decimals!)

However on the plus side a rare case of subtle Ash perversion: when Misty gets up at the restaurant he takes his eye off his food but instead of looking at her face his eye follows her rear.

A good time, as any, to bring up the episode comparison. Today, Dogasu goes on paint edits (including a real good one) and Flint's lie about Brock's deader-than-disco mother. Fun stuff.

https://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/comparisons/kanto/ep005.html

I'll get into the mother issue later, whenever my brain is up for the task.

As for the rear-staring, I thought he was staring into space, myself -- those crazy hormones at work.

Back