• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Friend and Foes: The Kanto Journey

~SilverSoul

I'm Back!
Years
  • Story Info: Basically a story about a girl setting off on her own pokemon journey through the Kanto Region, but she must test her strength and friendship against the boy who has been her best friend for years.

Rated: G

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter One: The New Boy

Ash was ten when she first met Bobby. It was an average, ordinary day, but Ash didn't imagine it to suddenly change like it did when the new boy walked into class.

Born near the coast of Vermillion City, Ash grew up happily with her parents and younger brother. Everyday she would attend the pokemon school near her home and basically went to learn and come back. She wasn't much of a talker and friend maker. You could call her shy even though most of the kids knew she had an extremely aggressive side as well. She could be mean if you pushed her over the edge just enough.

Ash never expressed her emotions during school; she kept that till after. After doing the work she needed to do around home, Ash took off for the most desolate and abandoned spot on the beach, a place she discovered while she was just walking around the town one day. There, she discovered a small group of water pokemon, they were all different varieties. In the group was a Squirtle, a little turtle pokemon, a Poliwag, a pokemon that looked like nothing more than a tadpole, the star-shaped pokemon, Staryu, and Krabby, a friendly krab-like pokemon.

After a while, Ash managed to befriend this group of pokemon and earn their trust. She played with them everyday of just talked to them about city life and school. They listened to her intently and Ash had the feeling that they understood her some how. She would spend her whole day at the beach until the sky glowed with the most beautiful orange color.

And so this was how Ash spent everyday of her life. She didn't expect everything to change when that new kid stepped into class. Ash had just taken her seat when the teacher walked up to the front of the class.

"Class, we have a new student."

She ushered in a scrawny little ten year old boy into her room. Ash didn't notice his body features as much as his face. Large, hazelnut colored shined the most out his face, but it was in competition with the large smile he had on as well. Average-length brown hair covered up his head, and Ash even noticed a little piece sticking up in the front right of it slightly.

Bobby didn't notice Ash as he took his new seat. Ash spent the rest of that school day not paying much attention to him expect for the occasional glance over at him to see what he was doing. He quietly worked the whole day with the same happy grin on his face. It made his whole face glitter brightly.

Ash soon forgot about the boy after she got home from school. She continued to follow her same daily routine. Throwing her book bag down and changing into more casual clothes, Ash raced for the beach to see her little water pokemon friends once again.

Something wasn't right. As soon as Ash hit the secret trail that she always took, she was confused. As she walked through the normal route she always did, things seemed different. Tree branches were snapped off, hanging only by a hinge throughout the route. Footprints were sunk into the thick mud, feet that were slightly larger than Ash's. Ash felt extremely sick. Somebody had discovered the path and they were making it right for the water pokemon. They have the intention of hurting them. With shaky hands, Ash snapped off a thick tree branch and raced down the rest of the path with it.

Ash ran until her feet sunk into the sandy beach, causing her to slow down until she decided it was time to stop. If this guy was a crook then she didn't want to recklessly dive into trouble. She slowly walked down the deep sand until a figure slowly formed in the light. It was hard for Ash to see in the distance, but she didn't see a criminal at all. It was just a boy around her age. It was Bobby.

"What are you doing here?" Ash asked when she got close enough to the boy. She accidentally made him jump without meaning to. He had no idea that Ash was behind him.

As Bobby turned around to face Ash, she realized that the tree branch was still in her hand and quickly tossed it to the side. That would be horrible if he thought she was about to attack him.

"Well……this is a beach, right? Aren't people supposed to come here?"

"Actually, nobody comes here."

Bobby looked at her funny and looked around. "Wow, an abandoned beach. This town is strange." He looked at Ash. "By the way, I'm Bobby. I just moved here."

Ash giggled. "I know that. You're in my class."

Bobby looked at her surprised. "Oh, I didn't know that. Sorry, but I can't memorize my classmates' faces in one day, you know?" He paused and looked and Ash, grinning. There was that smile again. "Well, I better go home. My things aren't unpacked yet. I should go help out."

"Yeah, I guess," Ash mumbled to end the short conversation. Bobby walked through the sand and Ash watched him until he was completely out of sight. The water pokemon suddenly popped out and surrounded around Ash. They were apparently hiding from Bobby and were now coming out since Ash was here. Ash shook off Bobby and spent the rest of the afternoon with her friends.

The next morning, Ash looked around the classroom to see if Bobby was there yet first thing. She didn't know why, just curious. His desk was empty.

He wasn't gone for long. Bobby soon stepped into the room and looked for a second. His face lit up when he saw Ash. Quickly rushing over, he sat down to face Ash.

"Hi, good morning," he greeted.

"Hi, Bobby," Ash said with a huge yawn.

"You know, I took off so quickly yesterday that I never got your name," Bobby said with a look of curiosity on his face.

Ash looked at him shocked. She didn't realize she never introduced herself. "I'm Ash."

"So, is that short for Ashley?" Bobby asked. Ash grinned at him.

"Yes, but Ashley's too common of a name."

Bobby scooted in closer to Ash. "Look, I don't mean to bug you like this, but I just wanted to apologize for yesterday. I think I frightened you. I mean, I saw you with a giant stick in your hand. Were you gonna hit me with it?"

Ash laughed. "I wasn't going to hit you. It's just that the trail is so hidden and nobody has ever found it before. It scared me to see it so marked like that."

"I was breaking the branches to mark the trail so I wouldn't get lost. That wouldn't be good if I got lost, would it? Why do you go to that abandoned beach anyways?"

The teacher suddenly rushed up to the front and tapped on the board a few times. "Class, take you seats."

With a look of surprise, Bobby leaped out of the seat and ran up to his desk. Ash didn't talk to him the rest of the day.

The next few days were some of the happiest of Ash's life. Everyday before class she would talk to Bobby. He never attempted to ask again why she went to the beach everyday. Instead, they both went on about their own lives. Ash told him about her two parents and little brother who was basically still a baby at age four. Bobby told her about his own life. Apparently, he had come from a foreign region and moved to Vermillion City because of a job he had gotten in the city.

"I had a brother just like you, but he disappeared a while ago," Bobby said with a frown.

Bobby never did come back to the beach after that one day the two met and Ash never asked why. She loved to hear him talk to her, so the thought just slipped out of her head. Just like the shine that was on his face all the time, Bobby put a lot of life in his voice and stories. He was the most amazing person to speak to, and he and Ash soon became friends.

One afternoon, Ash made the trip to the beach as usual. She hadn't forgotten about her other friends. When she arrived, the pokemon popped out and surrounded Ash. She gently set down in the sand and the pokemon got close.

"Hey, guys," Ash mumbled in greeting.

"Poli," said the Poliwag. It happily leaped on Ash's lap, causing her to pat it on the head gently.

Suddenly all the pokemon grew stiff and they bolted off for the water. Ash looked towards them startled and looked around behind her. Some of the bushes were rustling and Bobby popped out. He smiled and walked over to Ash.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare them off." Bobby said.

"Scare who off?"

"Those pokemon you were talking to."

Ash grew red. "So you saw them……"

Bobby laughed. "There's no need to worry, Ash. You know I can keep a secret." He suddenly grew quiet and looked out towards the water. "So this is why you come out here to the beach everyday, isn't it. You really love those pokemon."

"They were my only friends before you came. I want to keep them safe."

Bobby smiled and sat down in the sand next to Ash. "I knew that you were a pokemon lover the first time I met you. I've always wanted to go on my own adventure." Bobby took a deep breath and let out a sigh. His face then suddenly lit up and he looked Ash excited.

"Ash, I want to make a deal with you."

"Well, then let it out."

Bobby grinned. "One day, both of us are going to leave this town and start our own pokemon journeys. We'll fight hard and become the greatest rivals ever. You have to promise me this."

Ash smiled and shook Bobby's hand. "It's a deal. We'll both start our own journeys after school one day."

The two shook hands and silently watched the sun set for the rest of the afternoon together. Ash felt prouder than ever before to share her secret with her best friend.

Notice: Tell me of any mistakes I could've made.

Pikalover10

I'M BACK!
    Years
  • This is really good. Keep it up. It reminds me of a game i've played(i think it was kingdom hearts) before about two friends making a promise on a beach like that.

Back