• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Curious

Deadly Arbok

Team Rocket's executive agent
Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Apr 12, 2009
    A lot of us watch the Japanese episodes here to be caught up with DP. Just wondering how many of you actually understand Japanese when watching the show.

Not me, only understand a few words(thanks to a few subs I've seen). But it's enjoyable to hear music.

Also another thing, which VA did you perfer(please no war): 4kids or PUSA.

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
    Years
  • well i dont watch the episodes in japanese but i do watch the subbed versions of shippuden and bleach and i to have been able to understand some (not much but some) japanese as well. and also I've lately been answering "hai" instead of yes...

Blue_Drifblim

¯\(º_o)/¯
    Years
  • I can read Japanese, but there's still the matter of understanding some of it. :/ When watching Pokemon, it's kinda hard because they're talking so fast lol.

Oh... The other question. I guess I missed that.

4Kids was pretty good pre-Advanced and Advanced itself. As far as voices go, they were still fine with me. I stopped watching and missed a lot of Hoenn, though. I went back through some episodes and I noticed that 4Kids was still using the same tunes. That was alright, because I didn't really care that much about the music.

With the news of PUSA taking over, I really didn't read that much into it.... so I missed all the whining and complaining. XD When I finally saw an episode with PUSA's cast, the series felt kind of new with me. New music, new voices... Cool. Only until about the middle of last year did I read about how 4Kids and PUSA replaced music. Thanks to that, I became more engrossed in the music. So much more engrossed, that now, I can't seem to watch an episode without thinking about the bgm and how many pieces were used. It's kind of an annoying habit I would like to kick. >_>

Overall, I prefer PUSA because I feel they have a tighter script, It feels like they're not as strict when it comes to the original bgm, and they have made virtually no edits. Plus the inclusion of silence. The voices may have seemed strange at first, but I think they have improved greatly.

Even though 4Kids really started to go crazy with the bgm later on, I still love thier dub.

Last edited:

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    I don't know why, but I "naturally" understand the dialogue, like a little baby learning Japanese, except that little baby is suffering puberty.

And to the other question... that's rhetoric. PUSA may sound ugly but at least they never crapped out the good stuff... *Points at Conway*

STEELIXMANIAC

Hatena de Wasshoi!
    Years
  • Eh, I can understand only about three-tenths of the dialogue that's going on, to be honest, due to having learnt Japanese through various subtitled anime. But there're some parts where I understand what the characters are saying perfectly.

Unown_

Sep.2003 - Mar.2010. Resigned
    Years
  • I can understand some bits and pieces and sentences that are often used for example
    "Are you alright?", "I won't lose" "You've got to be kidding me".
    DP046 (A Maze-ing Race!) was a rather simple episode to understand, I think I could understand about 3/4 what was said in the episode.

Then again, most Pokemon episodes aren't really dialog heavy. You could mute the audio and still follow what is going on.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    I've began to understand some random words, attacks, names and a few phrases like "Masura Taun no Satoshi desu" and "ii kanji" and "yanna kanji" which I've learnt through watching subs or just piecing bits of knowledge together. But the small amout I know doesn't really help me understand anymore what's going on in an episode...except when Hikari says "daijoubu?" and Satoshi answers "daijoubu!" back. But when one of Satoshi's Pokemon are hurt he says "daijoubu ka?". I know "kimi kimete" = I choose you. I'm not sure that's spelt right, though.

It's kind of cool really, because I done French at school for 3 years and now know nothing XD I don't really watch many animes, Pokemon is the only one I watch reguarly.

At first, I thought all the new voices were horrible but they've grown on me. There isn't one dubbing voice I reall prefer now. I think that now Sarah Nannochanny's voice acting has improved, I love her voice waay over Veronica Taylor's. I don't like going back and watching 4Kids Ash because he sounds horribly scratchy, PUSAs has a bit of scratchyness, but has a bit of the deepness and power of Rika Matsumoto as well, I think, which makes him sound older and less annoying. PUSA Jessie sounds horrid, she's still way too high pitched, Meowth I don't mind, James I prefer PUSA because he doesn't squeak so much and Brock PUSA because he actually sounds a bit interesting.

4Kids done some pretty stupid edits and took out more BGM through AG, and heir BGM was rather dull. PUSA started by keeping hardly any BGM and their own BGM was horrid, but gradually kept more, however, the BGM is really quiet through the start of Battle Dimesion. But from the Maylene episodes, they have started to keep silence, improved their BGM around the Wallace episode and turned up the sound a bit somewhere. Since I also seem to prefer more PUSA voices, I suppose PUSA.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    I watched piece of a japanese episode once and I had NO CLUE what they were saying...lol

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
    Years
  • wrds like "hai" and "teme", "doshuto" and "bakata" I've all learned from watchin subs.

hai- yes
    teme- you ass, bastard or anythin along those lines
    doshuto- sometin along the lines of are u alright
    bakata- damn, blast, stuff like that

o these terms are proly not spelt right. im jst spellin em as i hear them

Dr. Ookido

オーキド博士
    Years
  • Can understand some of the Japanese partially because of the anime, as well as read some of it, from the games and just Pokemon in general. Don't think it's due to subs though, haven't watched a sub in a while. (Plus subs are infamous for overusing/exaggerating curse words, you'll have them subbing "f**k" when in context the word actually at most means a light "d*mn")
    All the same, the Japanese I know is somewhat largely focused on words and phrases that appear in Pocket Monsters, I don't think they would be saying "kimi ni kimeta" in other anime shows lol. Actually, I believe I've seen considerably more episodes in Japanese than in English.

Last edited:

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
    Years
  • I can't understand a lot of the Japanese but I can make out bits and staple phrases like "daijoubu?" or "ganbatte!" (which mean "are you ok?" and "go for it")

I prefer 4kids because I'm more familiar with them. However, Misty aside, I prefer the Japanese cast.

Actually, Pokemon is the only anime I prefer in raw/subs. I'm a dub lover to every other anime.

Years
  • characters

Dub watcher because I don't know what time that a episode of the show comes on in japan at my time zone. But I will watch subs of banned eps and movies.

As for the VA's: 4 kids mostly cause I like thier voices (this is the only time on this board that i will ever refer to the VAs). But I do like season ten and eleven despite that. (And because my favorite characters Paul and Dawn are on there, and I love the stories. Heck those season brought me back to the fandom in the first place.)

Tokin

:3
    Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2009
    I always watch the japanese episodes with subtitles whenever available, if not then I don't understand anything specific but I can still follow the plot, I do this because I can't possibly stand the dub(no offense to anyone who does like it, this is my opinion, nothing more^^), regardless of who the english VAs are, I can't possibly watch a dubbed episode with a straight face

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • I've never watched any Japanese episodes XD

But the new VA have grown on me, I still think I prefer some of the voices of the older episodes, but overall they're pretty good.

Inferno1

Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • I lernt jap in school but i still only understand about 1/4 of what they say they speak to fast it take me a little while to traslate it

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I dont understand it. I just listen for the basic words we all know and soe that I have learned on my own.

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
  • I can understand Japanese a bit due to watching subbed Japanese anime. I just don't understand those LONG, LONGGGGGGG parts where they just talk, talk, talk, and they just kill me.

I do understand some moves, like "Kiai Punch", which is Focus Punch, and "Jumanbolt", which is Thunderbolt, and more. But I DO pronounce it wrong sometimes. I am now trying to figure whether Energy Ball is "En-na-gie Ball" or "En-ne-ru-gi Ball". Urgh.

Hey, why don't we do a poll about how many people understand what the HECK they were talking about, using one raw episode of the Pokemon series, and the people who watched it can come back here to report how much they understand.

Last edited:

Blue_Drifblim

¯\(º_o)/¯
    Years
  • I can understand Japanese a bit due to watching subbed Japanese anime. I just don't understand those LONG, LONGGGGGGG parts where they just talk, talk, talk, and they just kill me.

I do understand some moves, like "Kiai Punch", which is Focus Punch, and "Jumanbolt", which is Thunderbolt, and more. But I DO pronounce it wrond sometimes. I am now trying to figure whether Energy Ball is "En-na-gie Ball" or "En-ne-ru-gi Ball". Urgh.

Hey, why don't we do a poll about how many people understand what the HECK they were talking about, using one raw episode of the Pokemon series, and the people who watched it can come back here to report how much they understand.

Energy Ball: "E-na-jii Boo-ru/Ball" Basically what you said first.

That's a good idea you have there, with the watching a random episode.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Well, it could always be the latest episode out because it would be the most widely available and subs never come out that quickly. Although, DP112 seems to be about Pikachu and Pochama, so maybe it isn't too great to use this weeks XD

Back