• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does anyone else think that ev training is overly complicated and tedius?

kabigon

My body is always ready.
Years
  • Yesterday, i was playing Final Fantasy 6 on my gba, and i was leveling up one of my characters. I was trying to max out the characters speed, and after only about 20 minutes of training I had finished. This made me remember when I was maxing out my gengar's speed in my diamond version and how much longer it took to do that. Why is it that in pokemon to train something in one stat you have to spend 2 hours killing the same pokemon over and over like 60 times? In Final Fantasy 6 all I had to do was eqip a summon monster to my character that increased speed, go kill anything I wanted, and the stat boosts came much quicker. I think the next gen of pokemon should have something like this where they hold a specific stat boosting item, and all they need is to level up to get the boost. Oh, and there should also be a way to actually see the exact number of evs a pokemon has. Do you think this is a good idea?

Years
  • Um, Pokemon already has something like that. The Pokerus doubles the amount of EVs gained as does the Macho Brace. Using them together quadruples the amount of EVs gained. The "Power" items at the battle tower provide 4 EVs in the stat they say they boost along with the EVs you get in battle. By combining the Pokerus and the correct power item for your needs, you can gain 10 EVs just from one battle. Not to mention there are the Vitamins that provide 10 EVs each in the stat they specify. Since they can only be used 10 times on a single stat, that gives a free 100 EVs. To completely train a Pokemon in one stat for 252 EVs, you'd only need to defeat 16 Pokemon if you used the vitamins (15 with the power items, 1 without it). EV training should take only about an hour at worst. As for the game itself keeping track of EVs, the game would get all complicated for the little kiddies who play it. Not good marketing. If you want to keep track of EVs, use the counter app on the Poketch or good ol' pencil and paper.

Years
  • Keep in mind that the EV training system we all know and love was first implemented in Ruby and Sapphire. Pokemon has gained a large audience beforehand mostly consisting of 6-8 year olds who watch the anime. A little kid wouldn't want to worry about how much EVs they're getting, they just want to be like Ash and beat Team Rocket and the Gym Leaders. Not to mention how hard it would be to explain the concept of Effort Values and how they're used and gained to a little kid. Besides, keeping track of EVs is something you shouldn't worry about if you just want to beat the game. If you're truly into Pokemon, you'll eventually find yourself on the internet asking for battles and get owned. Afterwards, if you truly want to improve, you'll look up this concept known as Effort Values so you can get better. Besides, if more people knew about EV training, it wouldn't be as fun to play when you're 6-8 because you'll be contemplating complex strategy and EV distributions... As if a 6-8 year old would even attempt it.

In short: Little kids still play this game, don't overcomplicate it. Overcomplicate it in places like wi-fi and shoddy. That's why they have the whole "Your experience may change online" thing at the start of the game.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • I use Shoddy to battle because its free, faster, and doesn't waste the extra time to EV train and IV breed and blah blah blah.

Back