• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Scarlet Tears

Fuyu

The answer is at the top...
Years
    • she/her/they/them
    • Home
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    Hi everyone! BTW, (1) if someone came in here expecting a romance, they're dead wrong, because I can't write the stuff. 2, this is an anime based fanfiction with timeline going completely off after episode 100. 3, Japanese human names, English Pokemon names (mostly). Anything else I need to address will have this post edited or in another post.

Alright, now let's do it!

Disclaimer: All rights to Pokemon go to Nintendo, Game Freak and Satoshi Tajiri. None of which have me anywhere nearby.

Scarlet Tears

Prologue: Escape

The night sky was peaceful, stars blinking brightly against the shining moon. The air was quiet, wind making the only noise. Pokemon slept in the forest nearby, enjoying the summer air. Overhead, nocturnal Pokemon such as Zubat and Noctowl flew, searching for a meal.

A Noctowl poised on a branch, cocking its ear slits toward the right. It turned its head slowly in the same direction, where down below, many twinkling lights sparkled with all the intensity of the stars. Humans were there, the Pokemon knew. They were not the good kind either, but the ones that sent out strange signals and sounds that affected the minds of innocents everywhere.

The Noctowl could see a pale gray cloud swirling into the air. It grew larger and thicker as time passed. The Noctowl clamped its beak firmly shut to avoid letting out a shrill cry of alarm. The forest residents were too paranoid as it was. Noctowl took to the air, soaring high over the human's den. It glimpsed thin figures running from the large building, which smelled of fire. It dived lower, now seeing the humans were afraid and the Pokemon they carried were the same.

What could have caused this?, wondered the Noctowl, which angled upward back into the trees. As it flew, the Noctowl hooted softly. It was not enough to wake everyone, but it grabbed the attention of an Umbreon, who turned its gaze away from the moon.

"Noctowl! What in Arceus's name are you calling about?" The owl Pokemon landed on the earth, feeling a faint sense of fading as it did so.

"Something strange is occurring with the nearby humans."

The Umbreon snorted. "Something is always happening with the humans. What's ruffled your feathers?"

"This is different. One of their dens is burning."

Umbreon blinked, red eyes flashing with confusion. "One of their dens is on fire? That doesn't sound like the humans here at all. Do you want me to report to the Elder on this?"

Noctowl nodded. "Also, did your sister Espeon tell you of anything important before she went to sleep today?"

The Pokemon went into deep thought for a few moments, then shrugged.

"She said she saw a young human with some tame Pokemon head over there a few hours ago. Apparently, they didn't come out, so she got worried."

"I see. Report to Elder and let me know what happens." Umbreon nodded and took off into the grass. Noctowl soared to the highest tree branch and watched as the human's den burned. It saw a small human stumbling out of the wreckage, which stumbled into the foliage.

The Noctowl's eyes widened. That must have been the young human Espeon saw! It looked as though as it was barely standing, injuries all over and a faint flush to its face. The human pulled out five red and white spheres shakily, tossing them into the air.

Five Pokemon appeared. They too, looked in terrible shape. There was concern in their eyes as the human's knees buckled and collapsed to the ground. They all let out a cry of concern.

The human spoke in a raspy tone. "I'm glad you're all okay..."

The largest Pokemon moaned, Don't talk friend, you must rest. Please...

The human shook its head. "No... I have to tell you... I have two last orders for you all..."

All five Pokemon looked at one another, as the human struggled to sit up.

"My first request is that you warn them. All three. You have to let them know. They'll be in danger now..."

The human suddenly smiled. "My second is that when you leave me here... you find new trainers to obey."

Five cries of disbelief.

"You guys are the best... and I don't think I'm going to make it out of here okay. So you must... please... you must stay safe and happy... please..." The human passed out, blood discoloring the grass.

All five Pokemon felt a shiver of fear and misery. How could they obey that last command? Despite everything said and done, their Trainer cared.

The largest of them solved the problem, beginning to lift the human onto its back.

"What are you doing?" asked one of the others.

The Pokemon grunted, "Helping my friend."

"But he's going to..."

"No he's not." The reply was firm, without fear. I know my friend. He's going to make it. I'm sure." The large Pokemon fixed the other with a glare. "You should believe in him too. He did it for you."

The other three ran to help, carefully moving him to not jar the injury. The fourth stared a moment before joining them. When he was situated, they began to walk slowly, to help their own wounds.

The Noctowl flew over to them, calling "This way! Hurry! The group shrugged and followed.

They had just barely escaped, but all five had a feeling they wouldn't be so lucky next time.

Well that's that. We'll see where this ends up, won't we? Take a guess on our mystery characters!

Last edited:

SilverGlaceon

Fantasy is better than Reality
    Years
  • Pretty good! I didnt see any grammar mistakes, but thats probably because I was so into the story. Its really good, nice and descriptive. Also, it was easier to read than my jumbled mess. I'll be sticking around here a while, so please be sure to continue! See ya!

Fuyu

Years
    • she/her/they/them
    • Home
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    Wow! Thanks for the warm reviews guys! I am working on the next installment, so it won't be long now.

SilverGlaceon

Years
  • Good luck my friend! Also, winterfell, your new to PC arent you? Well, so am I!...sorta! =) Very nice fic, and I have a feeling I know who that human and those pokemon are...although your statement before the first chapter makes it a little obvious. Or am I wrong?....Well, See ya!

Fuyu

Years
    • she/her/they/them
    • Home
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    Here we go!

Well, you're about to get your answer SilverGlaceon! I can't keep a secret well, so here we go!

Disclaimer: I don't own Pokemon.

Scarlet Tears

Chapter 1: Fallen

The sun was bright in the clear, blue sky. The wind barely blew, making it the perfect day for training. The three Trainers were settled in a peaceful field just outside Hearthome City.Satoshi and his friends had all their Pokemon released and were fighting hard. Well, most of them were anyway.

"Come on Mamoswine! Don't you want to get better?" Hikari pleaded with her stubborn Pokemon. Mamoswine didn't budge, closing its eyes in a lazy manner. Hikari's face fell in frustration. Satoshi was genuinely worried now. If Mamoswine wouldn't learn to listen to its Trainer, it wouldn't be any use in Contests or battles. There wouldn't be any point in Hikari keeping it with her.

Suddenly he shook his head rapidly, realizing he sounded just slightly like his hated rival Shinji, who didn't care about loyalty or friendship, merely strength. He pushed the thoughts away and looked toward his persistently training team.

Pikachu was trying a risky move: using Volt Tackle in the air. So far the move was failing, but the Electric Mouse refused to give up. The others were battling with other, working against their disadvantages. All except Chimchar, who was staring at the sky with a blank expression.

The other two trainers looked over at it.

"I wonder what's wrong with Chimchar," mused Takeshi. "Usually, it would be more than happy to join in the battle, but today…"

"Today it just seems out of it," finished Hikari. Satoshi shared their worry as he made his way over to the quiet Fire-type. The other Pokemon stopped their training to watch.

Chimchar didn't even glance over at Satoshi.

The Trainer cautiously asked, "Chimchar, what's wrong? You're not sick, are you?" Chimchar fixed Satoshi with a glare, looking eerily like its original Trainer, before turning toward the road. Satoshi knew to back off for the time being.

The faint sound of sirens entered their ears. They slowly grew louder and the three trainers could faintly make out the white form of an ambulance coming up the road. Suddenly, Chimchar let out a shriek of terror and pain. It ran toward the ambulance, leaping onto its roof and gripping it tightly.

An alien blast of cold dread passed through Satoshi, followed by dizziness. There was also a fearful statement

"Friends! They've all been hurt! What did those people do to them?"

Satoshi gripped his head for a moment. The dizziness faded, but the dread remained, cold around his heart. Meanwhile, the ambulance grew farther and farther away, the Fire-type with it.

One of the many Officer Jenny was following at a rapid pace on her motorcycle. Hikari snapped out of her shock.

She called, "Officer Jenny! What's happening?" The police officer stopped at a moment and the three came up to her, returning their other Pokemon to their Pokeballs. The woman looked strangely haggard and afraid.

"Did a Pokemon get attacked?" asked Satoshi worriedly. Jenny sighed.

"If it was just a Pokemon, it wouldn't be as bad. Both a Trainer and his Pokemon seemed to have gotten attacked. The Pokemon were almost unconscious, but determinedly trying to get their Trainer to a hospital. The Trainer…" she shuddered visibly. "He was nearly dead. There was apparently internal bleeding from a punctured rib, along with minor bruises and a broken arm."

"Could you identify the Trainer?" inquired Takeshi.

Jenny nodded. "His Pokedex registered him as Shinji from Veilstone. Do you all know him?" All three of them froze in terror.

She summed up their expressions. "I guess you do. Well, come with me." She took off, this time slightly slower so the others could keep up. The Trainers followed, still in shock.

In the Pokemon Center, nurses were rushing around frantically. A Nurse Joy ran past them as they entered, her Chansey carrying five Pokeballs.

Jenny conferred with another, who was just outside the Emergency Room door.

"What's the situation?"

"He almost went into cardiac arrest. The blood flow has just barely lowered. It'll be a miracle if he survives this."

Jenny's face seemed to age five years. "Someone needs to contact his family."

"I'll do that," Satoshi volunteered, coming over. "I think I know the number."

Both women nodded and left the room, Nurse Joy into the Emergency Room and Officer Jenny toward a computer.

When they were out of earshot, Hikari asked, "What are you doing Satoshi?" He shrugged and moved toward a phone.

"Reiji should know about this. I mean, they are brothers."

"Yeah, but Officer Jenny could do this, couldn't she?" Satoshi nodded.

"That's the thing. I'm getting a feeling. Don't ask what, because I don't know. This feels like it's something dangerous, not some simple attack. Shinji's dying in there. Reiji might know what's happening." He quickly dialed what he believed to be Reiji's number.

After a few rings, the young man's face appeared. They gaped. He looked exhausted. The weary expression changed into a smile.

"Hey guys," greeted Reiji. "How've you been?"

"Fine thanks," all three responded automatically.

Satoshi became serious. "Reiji-san, have you heard from your brother recently?"

Reiji looked miserable at the mention of his sibling. "No, I haven't. Usually he'd have called by now. I wanted him to come by yesterday, but I haven't heard from him. Have you guys seen him?"

All three looked at one another worriedly.

"Yeah, we've seen him," answered Satoshi slowly. "Reiji, he's in the hospital now. Shinji and his Pokemon got attacked, the officer said. He's in the Emergency Room."

Reiji froze. His eyes darkened and outside of the monitor's vision he clenched his fists tightly.

When he spoke, his voice was low, "Where are you guys?"

"At the Hearthome City Pokemon Center."

"Got it." The connection broke and Reiji vanished from the screen.

…………………

Hours passed and Reiji appeared in the Pokemon Center. They came up to greet him, to that he smiled faintly. Reiji sat down next to them, staring at the Emergency Room sign, which was still glowing red.

"Do you know what they're doing in there?" asked the young man curiously.

"Probably trying to stop the blood flow and reset his bones," replied Takeshi.

Satoshi felt faintly worried. "Why is it taking so long?"

"Pokemon are usually the ones who end up like this, not humans," explained Takeshi quietly. "It will probably take longer than normal to get this done." As Takeshi finished his sentence, the light blinked off and a Nurse Joy came out.

She gave them all a weary smile. "He's going to be fine. The bleeding has stopped and the wound closed. He is sleeping now." They all breathed a sigh of relief. Satoshi and the others didn't consider Shinji a friend, but it wasn't right for him to die either.

"Can I see him?" pleaded Reiji, once dark eyes bright with hope. The nurse seemed reluctant, but allowed them in after a few minutes.

……………………

Outside the room, people rushed by, slower and quieter than before. Chimchar paid them no mind, preferring to remain to remain curled on top of his once partner-

Not partner, Master. Ever since that day, he became Master. Partner died!

as they had for old times' sake. The warm feeling of blood being pumped was almost faded here, unlike a few days ago. It was worrying to him.

Chimchar found himself unable to sleep, despite the exhaustion that had come from watching a child teeter between life and death and still live.

'Why am I here?' he asked himself 'Why was I so scared for him and the others? Master was cruel and angry to me. He despised weakness and defeat. I was weak to him and he hurt me.'

A quiet, logical voice answered him, 'Yes, but you were once partners, working toward the same goal with smiles on your faces and hope in your hearts. Deep down, you know that hasn't changed.'

'It has,' thought Chimchar with tears pricking the corners of his eyes. 'My partner is gone, replaced with a creature bent on completing the mission he was assigned.'

'Don't you want to complete the mission?'

'No! Not now! It's destroyed my friends, my partner! One just barely survived and the others are still hurting! Screw the stupid mission!'

'You don't mean that,' the voice whispered soothingly.

'I do! I've been beaten and hurt and mentally scarred! I don't care about the mission anymore! I want things back to before! I want my friends back!'

The tears spilled over and Chimchar curled up into a ball as he cried. He froze suddenly as a ghostly hand stroked his head for a moment and he slowly fell asleep, willing time to turn back but knowing it wouldn't.

Meanwhile, the violet-haired Trainer shuddered unnoticeably in his sleep, feeling the anguish of his former Pokemon. He did not wake, despite the effort he put up for it.

Shinji of Veilstone had fallen, and it was uncertain that he would truly get back up again.

SilverGlaceon

Years
  • ...Wow. So...it was Paul? I mean Shinji? Whoa, I was WAY off. You'd never think he'd say all that nice stuff to his pokemon, now would you? Nicely done, winterfell. No mistakes as far as I'm concerned. I await the next chapter eagerly. See ya!

Fuyu

Years
    • she/her/they/them
    • Home
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    Who were you thinking of? Ash?

I chose Shinji because he seems like the least likely to do those things. The dub makes him worse.

Neutrino

The Jelly-Stuff of legend...
    Years
  • yeah, I need more chapters of this story; It's AMAZING! I'm really hooked onto it, 'cos it's really absorbing, it has great description, a cool plot, and I was way off when i thought who the character who was attacked was, I thought it was Ash at first too!

Fuyu

Years
    • she/her/they/them
    • Home
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    Hehe wow this was a real twist! Thanks for the kind reviews!I'll keep going.

Fuyu

Years
    • she/her/they/them
    • Home
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    Sorry everyone! I seriously just noticed I didn't put the rating in the prologue. It is rated PG-13 for occasional swearing and cartoon violence.

Anyway...

This next chapter was supposed to be longer, but then I realized it would take too long and I was rushing things. This will be an explanation chapter, so no battles and less angst. Yippee!

I am trying to get better with changing people while still keeping them in character.

News: I have gone over the storyline and discovered there will most likely be a sequel. Oh and there's going to be a one-shot that takes place in this story's universe coming out. I don't know when.

I just realized that there's some information I screwed up based on the episodes. Oops! I can't change it though, for plot's sake.

Warning: The word "hell" is used once in here.

Disclaimer: I don't own Pokemon.

Here we go!

Chapter 2: Ending

Reiji carefully eased the door open. The pale form on the hospital bed didn't even twitch. The boy was heavily bandaged. The monitor beeped in tune with his heartbeat.

All of them blinked for a moment at the sight of Chimchar curled on Shinji's stomach. Reiji then shrugged it off and moved to his brother's side. He sat in the chair next to the boy, eyes closed and hands clenched tightly as though in prayer. The other three Trainers watched silently, intruders on the brothers' pain.

Reiji sat still for a moment, head bowed, before sitting up straight and fixing them, Satoshi in particular, with a serious look.

"So," he queried "What do you want to know?"

Satoshi, Hikari, and Takeshi looked at one another. Where were they supposed to start?

Satoshi decided to ask the thing he had been wondering about since day one, "Does Shinji hate Pokemon?"

Reiji blinked for a moment, processing the question. Then he laughed quietly, a grin unwillingly spreading onto his face.

"What's so funny?" demanded Satoshi with a slight anger. He thought it was a valid thing to ask! The others did as well, only they were not as enraged.

"Nothing, it's just I knew you would ask that. Well that, and the notion of him hating Pokemon is rather absurd."

He became serious again. "Our family goes back many generations. We are called the Mierna. It's not one you would hear about so don't ask. There are others in our generation spread out around the world and I've met very few of them. There is a tradition, per say, that if there are two siblings, the older will become a Trainer and the younger a Healer for the elder. At least, that's how it should be."

"Shinji took to the healing training perfectly. He loved it, preferring to play in the forests and pick berries in place of battling. Likewise, I happily accepted my role as the Trainer in our family. My team and I, like true partners, worked together to achieve victory at every gym and battle area we came to. We never competed in the Leagues but that didn't bother us at all. However…"

Reiji let out a low growl, the sound rising menacingly from his throat. The other three stepped back, unused to this loss of malice from him.

"We were conquering the Battle Frontier and we had come to the Battle Pyramid. There we faced Brandon and lost horribly. We were devastated. The next day, we went back to our home in Veilstone, called back by the Elders, the ones who lead us."

…………………

The fire slashed the air, striking his body with smooth, deadly accuracy. He called back his Pokemon, who he had once considered partners. Now he didn't know what they were to him. He did not know who anyone was to him. All he knew was the fire's intense hunger for his flesh and that he had to run, run, run!

He crashed through a wall, grunting in pain as the wood jabbed him in the side. Ignoring it, he pressed on, forcing each step onward. All around him, Pokemon and humans fled. For a moment he froze in terror. A glare made of ice was trained onto his back. He looked around and saw nothing. The feeling of fear faded and he took off once more.

Cool air blew slightly near his face. Almost free! Then the pain returned. His injuries began to ooze the sticky, crimson liquid named blood. He grit his teeth.

I will endure it. I must endure it.

The thoughts became an unending mantra, moving him forward. The cool air suddenly engulfed his whole body and he sniffed, smelling the smoke behind him. His vision was blurring, yet he could see a meld of green and brown darkened by the nighttime. In his pockets, the Pokemon shook in their Pokeballs, desperately wishing for freedom.

Shinji smirked weakly. His team, despite everything they had done and all he had done to them, were as sentimental as that Trainer's. They shouldn't be worrying, as soon now the blood and fire would take him and he would die. He felt his knees turn to jelly and he collapsed to the ground, releasing his Pokemon.

All of them watched in shock and fear as he gave them their orders. He shook his head when they finally protested. The darkness began to sing, calling him into its embrace. Shinji closed his eyes and fell to the ground and the dream faded into dust.

Shinji moaned softly in his sleep, straining to wake but unable. Reiji took the teen's hand and murmured softly for a moment. The younger didn't relax, but the moaning stopped.

Reiji continued, "The Elders who lead our family absolutely despise defeat. Victory or punishment is their rule. Their punishment of our loss…was to completely strip me of the ability to be a Trainer."

Satoshi felt bile rise in his throat and forced it back down.

"Shinji had come along with me. Hearing the punishment, he protested that they had gone too far. 'My brother and his Pokemon want to become the best there is,' he said to them." Reiji closed his eyes and remembered.

………….

Five towered over the two siblings. They were not truly old but by birthright they were given that title.

Reiji watched his normally soft-spoken sibling glare fiercely at the Elders, refusing to cower at their icy stares.

Shinji spoke, loud enough for all to hear, "You want someone to give up on their dreams just because of one loss? That's pathetic and cowardly! A loss makes someone stronger, makes them better."

The most senior of them, Liam, snorted at this defiance. "Pathetic are we, boy? Foolish child, we have honor to uphold."

"Honor? No one even knows who we are!" he retorted hotly "May I remind you that our family has produced nothing of value except being able to access that power and heal? Others have that power! You elders need to open your eyes!"

The elder sibling winced at the derogatory remarks being made on them, and reflected on the fact that Shinji was right. What use were they as a family?

Liam glared at the ten-year old. "Silence Healer! May I remind you that you have no power here!" Shinji winced and stepped back, remembering his place for a brief moment.

The youngest of them, Hiro, seemed to agree with Shinji. He saw that dreams and bonds were more important than a pure and clean lineage. However, he was only one and would be easily overruled. There might be a way to solve this problem, he thought.

Hiro spoke before Shinji could get himself any deeper. "There might be a way to resolve all of this and restore Reiji's ability to be a Trainer."

The second elder, whose name neither sibling knew, spoke in a cold, sarcastic manner, "Please tell us. I'm eager to hear your idea, Hiro."

Hiro shrugged off the hostility with a smile before continuing, "Shinji wishes to keep his elder brother's dream alive. Very well. Shinji, you are old enough, so become a Trainer."

The lilac-haired boy stared in disbelief. "You want me to become a Trainer?"

"For four years. If you can nearly mimic your brother's accomplishments, he will resume his duties as a Trainer."

Shinji seemed to be in thought. "There's a catch, right?"

Liam smiled cruelly and the two brothers resisted a shudder.

"A catch, you say? Well, how about this then? Until you meet the requirements, you are forbidden to remain as a Healer. If you do not succeed at this, both of you will be disowned. Is that understood?"

Reiji watched his brother again, as Shinji's fists clenched. The boy trembled in rage for a moment before turning his eyes back toward the five elders.

"I'll do it," he said coldly, giving the ex-Trainer a chill. "Just one thing: I cut my ties to this family!"

The air froze.

"From today onward, I am no longer a member of the Mierna! If this is your way of living, then I will no longer be a part of it!" With that, the ten-year old left the room, smirking faintly.

A moment of silence, and Reiji heard Hiro faintly laughing. He held back his grin. Trust his brother to be the first to tell the leaders of the Mierna to go to hell. With a sigh, he left as well.

Meh...I don't like this chapter... 3rd one will be out soon. Look forward to it!:)

fullmoon224

Gamer 4 Life X3
    Years
  • :t282: Fell u r an awsome writer i read the Prologue: Escape and it was so cool!!! i tried to read the first chapter but i sont have the attention span to read it sorry but i now its good keep writing and try and make somemore one comment storys to i can try and read them. hahahaha :)

Fuyu

Years
    • she/her/they/them
    • Home
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    Fullmoon! OMG you posted! Yay you read my fic! That makes me a happy writer! LOL! So tired... hate teachers... Thanks for the compliments but yeah you do have a low attention span.

Fuyu

Years
    • she/her/they/them
    • Home
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    Hi Skadi! Chapter Three will be up soon I promise!

Back