• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Need help with emerald

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonbane

Beards are now mandatory
Years
  • I am trying to get a Groudon and Kyogre, but every time I make its health low, and throw a ultra ball at it, it ALWAYS escapes. Then I end up knocking it out.

Any tips?

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
  • There's a move called False Swipe that leaves the target with at least 1 HP. Scyther learns it at level 16. You could beef up a Scyther just for that.

I also find that putting the Pokemon to sleep really helps my catch rates.

Years
  • Just keep trying there are a couple of pokemon that prevent pokemon from escaping like dugtrio or trapinch also crobat has a move that one let them run away just keep trying you'll eventually get them thats what i had to do to catch the regies

-Leaf

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2010
    get it to lower health, i really recommand a magneton for this (lvl 50 would dom my mild magneton almost killed rayquzza only with spark) just make sure the magneton have a decent sp.att or a decent nature and make it learn thunderbolt.. paralyzing is a good idea but it has rest (and groudon too) so use a sleep move like hypnosis and then keep throwing ultra balls at it, be patatient since it has a 5 catch rate, the same applies to groudon.

Years
  • Night Shade + False Swipe + Sleep inducing move (Sleep Powder, Spore, Grasswhistle, basically any move that causes sleep) is the strategy I always use. Use Night Shade to first whittle down the opponent's HP (a very useful move in the sense that you will never get a critical hit, so you shouldn't accidentally kill the opponent if you use it right). Then, use False Swipe to leave the opponent with 1 HP. Then, put it to sleep, and throw your Ultra Ball.

If this doesn't work, then I seriously think something is wrong with your game cartridge. A Pokemon that's asleep with 1 HP should be easily caught.

. R e ð e m p † i o n

•You got a piece of meh!•
    Years
  • Like what has already been suggested, use sleep inducing moves such as Sleep Powder, Hypnosis, Grasswhistle and Spore. Lowering the health of these behemoths help as well. And catching the weather Legends also depends on the ball. I recommend the Timer Ball because when the battle strides to 30+ turns, the catch rate will increase to four or so. (Providing of course the damage you dealt and the status' you inflict.)

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    I usually have my Pokemon get them to the red color in their health bars. Then I proceed to either paralyze or sleep them. It usually works.

Good luck. :)

Inferno1

Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • Get a pikachu Use thunder on kyroge and then thunder wave and then throw a ultra ball and that should be it and then for grodon Snorlax with focus punch and then yawn there u go thats how i catch them getem red health and then i throw ultra balls

Neiko Star

Dancing rain
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2012
    Putting the Pokemon to sleep or paralyzing it should help. Also, try using different kinds of balls. I mean, I've caught plenty of legendaries with Pokeballs. It just might work for you.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • Clarifying / adding some facts in...
    PokeBalls
    The recommended PokeBall for you to use is the Timer Ball. After 30 turns (I believe), the Timer Ball is statistically twice as strong as the Ultra Ball, and thus four times as strong as the ordinary PokeBall. If you can manage to stall Kyogre / Groudon, then the Timer Ball should really work for you. If you don't have the patience, resort to Ultra Balls.

Status
    Inducing Sleep to the target is preferred over inducing Paralysis because sleep is proven to be statistically stronger. In fact, both Sleep and Freeze conditions are proven to be twice as strong as the Paralysis status condition. Make sure you have a sleep inducing move with you. Sleep can also be key to stalling your target out for the Timer Ball.

Health Points
    You want to whittle down your target's HP as much as you can. Use a couple of harsh blows until you get it in yellow (or possibly red). The move False Swipe is highly recommended for this because False Swipe guarantees that it will never knock your opponent out. Note: This is a perfect reason why you don't inflict the target with HP draining status (like poison / burn).

Designation_Leader

I iz ubsessed wit teh kittehz!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2010
    Clarifying / adding some facts in...
    PokeBalls
    The recommended PokeBall for you to use is the Timer Ball. After 30 turns (I believe), the Timer Ball is statistically twice as strong as the Ultra Ball, and thus four times as strong as the ordinary PokeBall. If you can manage to stall Kyogre / Groudon, then the Timer Ball should really work for you. If you don't have the patience, resort to Ultra Balls.

Status
    Inducing Sleep to the target is preferred over inducing Paralysis because sleep is proven to be statistically stronger. In fact, both Sleep and Freeze conditions are proven to be twice as strong as the Paralysis status condition. Make sure you have a sleep inducing move with you. Sleep can also be key to stalling your target out for the Timer Ball.

Health Points
    You want to whittle down your target's HP as much as you can. Use a couple of harsh blows until you get it in yellow (or possibly red). The move False Swipe is highly recommended for this because False Swipe guarantees that it will never knock your opponent out. Note: This is a perfect reason why you don't inflict the target with HP draining status (like poison / burn).

This is nice and detailed. However, over my experience with training (some 10-odd years) I've noticed that Ultra Balls work best. I started using Timer Balls, but that takes too long and I usually run out of items and Pokemon by then. Ever since I captured a Lugia that took twenty minutes, I began to devise a strategy that has worked for me since:

1. Purchase 30 Ultra Balls, 10 Timer Balls, and 10 Poke Balls. For Kyogre, purchase 5 Net Balls.
    2. Stock up on Hyper Potions and Revives. Do not purchase Full Restores or Max Potions as you will not need them. Do not use all your money; be reasonable.
    3. Acquire a Pokemon that has a Paralysis-inducing move and a Sleep-inducing move. You will need these to disable the target Pokemon. However, Paralysis will not work on Groudon unless you use Body Slam, Dragonbreath, Glare, Lick, Stun Spore, or Tri Attack.
    4. Acquire a Pokemon that has False Swipe and a Pokemon that is durable. For False Swipe, you may want to opt for Marowak, Scyther, Ninjask (evolve from Nincada after Lv.25), or Zangoose. The best choice for False Swipe would be Sceptile as it is Grass-type and super-effective against both Kyogre and Groudon. For a durable Pokemon, choose a Steel-type, preferably Aggron as its Rock-type will cancel out Groudon's Fire Blast and its Steel-type will negate most of Kyogre's attacks.
    Before battle starts, have the Pokemon that has the status-inflicting attack head the party. For Groudon, it will be a Sleep-inducing Pokemon. For Kyogre, it does not matter. Inflict the status ailment as soon as the battle starts, then switch out to your durable Pokemon and start dealing damage. If you inflicted sleep, you may want to switch back and inflict sleep again or just attack with the status-inflicting Pokemon. Here is a rule of thumb for sleeping: after two attacks, use your sleep-inducing move. When Kyogre/Groudon is in the red, switch to the Pokemon that has False Swipe. Get to 1HP and begin throwing Timer, Ultra, and Poke Balls in this pattern:

Turn 1: Attack
    Turn 2: Attack
    Turn 3: Ultra Ball
    Turn 4: Poke Ball or Attack
    Turn 5: Attack
    Turn 6: Ultra Ball
    Turn 7: Poke Ball or Attack
    Turn 8: Attack
    Turn 9: Ultra Ball
    Turn 10: Timer Ball

You may choose to replace throwing a Poke ball for an attack to inflict maximum damage. Repeat this process until capture.

I've found this strategy to be the most useful and have now cut my battling time from twenty minutes for a legendary to a mere seven.

YAY!

Hope I helped! Any more help on your journey, I can give you a hand if you need it!

lolwut

Too cute for you
    Years
  • i guess i just have extremely good luck because what i did to catch groudon and kyogre both level 70 with poke balls was easy. I got out my sceptile level 65 for the kyogre and used leaf blade, it left him with maybe 20 hp then i just chucked a poke ball and it worked, i was like WTF then after i tried to catch groudon so i used swampert and used surf and he was down to maybe 40 hp then i pulled out blaziken and used a fire attack and it brought him down to like 10 hp and i just chucked an ultra ball and caught him. I guess my pokemon are just lucky. But if you're not lucky like me just use an effective attack with a guy a little below him in level and use false swipe and then just put him to sleep and chuck ultra balls at him. or if you still have a masterball just wait til the end of the game and duplicate the master ball and just use the cheap way.

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2012
    well, you can always catch it like i caught the regis... (all 3 ;P)

first, this trick requires many pokeballs/potions of any level (to waste turns), an incredibly strong pokemon (for endouring attacks), and many timerballs.

1. you weaken the enimy significantly, high in yellow should do
    2. you wait untill the enimy starts to "struggle"
    3. then, use as many timerballs as you can, while making sure your active pokemon doesnt faint, while using the trick that helps keep the pokemon in the ball... look it up on google, i forget. it has something to do with holding a directional buttion and tapping a or b...

and there you have it. how to catch a legendary without a masterball. you can also put it to sleep, which will minimize the chance of escape, and it is also possible to catch it with an ultraball (i only used the timer trick on the last regis that i caught, registeel)

Years
  • while using the trick that helps keep the pokemon in the ball... look it up on google, i forget. it has something to do with holding a directional buttion and tapping a or b...

You just bumped a thread that's over a month old. That's against the rules.

While I'm here, I may as well point out that there is no trick. Pressing buttons does not affect the catch rate of a Pokemon. It's all in your head.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back