• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Breeding gyarados???

Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2009
    ok so im on the hunt for a gold magikarp.
    question 1. i play firered and im fishing with my old rod around cinnabar island. good idea?

question 2. all the magikarp are at lvl 5 so they can be easily caught with an ultra ball. but is this the same case as with the shiny magikarp? will he be harder to catch?

question 3.
    when i catch him what do i have to breed him with to get more shinys?

thanks guys

Years
  • First of all it will take a really really really long time to find a shiny, let alone a shiny magikarp so dont be dissapointed if you dont find one in the next week or so.

Secondly shiny's aren't harder to catch, they have the same catch rate as any other Pokemon of that type.

And thirdly if you wish to breed a shiny from another shiny prepare to be dissapointed because breeding with a shiny dosn't give you more shinies (It can but at a normal rate). And there you have it.

Tinhead Bruce

the Neighbour
    Years
  • ok so im on the hunt for a gold magikarp.
    question 1. i play firered and im fishing with my old rod around cinnabar island. good idea?

question 2. all the magikarp are at lvl 5 so they can be easily caught with an ultra ball. but is this the same case as with the shiny magikarp? will he be harder to catch?

question 3.
    when i catch him what do i have to breed him with to get more shinys?

thanks guys

1. Any place that has only Magikarp (Eg. Anywhere with the Old Rod) will do fine.

2. Just because a Pokemon is shiny does not mean that anything is different (other than the color of course!) The Magikarp will be as easy to catch as a normal Magikarp.

3. Breeding a shiny pokemon will not increase the chances of the baby being shiny. The chances will still be 1/8192 to get a shiny. Good luck :D

EDIT: Beat? Nah, I give more info =p

st.jimmy

ZOMG!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    arent shinys more common in d/p than in fr/lg?
    if so i suggest catching it in d/p

st.jimmy

ZOMG!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    1/8192 actually ;)
    but im not sure if it would be easier, i never caught a shiny in fr/lg but iv got 3 in d/p

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    You are better off taking advantage of the breeding flaw in Emerald to get a shiny than waste time searching for one. Odds are MUCH better.

Bulletproof

This time baby I'll be...
    Years
  • You are better off taking advantage of the breeding flaw in Emerald to get a shiny than waste time searching for one. Odds are MUCH better.

no they're not. they're still the same and if not faster to go by wild encounters if they're pokemon like magikarp which are so comman.

anyway, even though they've been answered, let's see if I can help with your questions.

question 1. yes. if you used any other rod then you'd encounter more of the rare sorts of pokemon rather than magikarp, unless of course you want a go at the other rarer pokemon.

question 2. it should be exactly the same as a normal magikarp. the only difference between a magikarp and the shiny magikarp is the shiny. nothing else.

question 3. if only that works, but no. it's still the same odds as wild encountering and once you get one, then that will probably be the only one you will get in the game.

hope that helped. ;)​

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Oops. The Emerald RNG flaw is for perfect stats, not lame shiny Pokemon. My mistake.

Kakarotman

Played over 2k hrs of pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2016
    There is about a 1/8000 chance of meeting a shiny. I never seem to find em when i am looking for them. I always meet them when i am not expecting it.

Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2020
    There is about a 1/8000 chance of meeting a shiny. I never seem to find em when i am looking for them. I always meet them when i am not expecting it.

Same, on Ruby I was hunting for Latios on the route north of Slateport, and I got a shiny Electrike and Plusle before I found Latios :P

Back