• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

thoughts on ideas

Feign

Clain
Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Well I realize there are plenty of posts like this, and indeed my idea too, I just want to get away from the cliches and typical storylines that people usually write, however, to me I find it rather enthralling (the few beginning ones, I'd like to write on).

I've already started a small amount, in a book of mine (as opposed to Microsoft word :P), but its already sounding like the typical 'orphaned, rejected, learns lessons etc' type of thing.

Is it just how it is written at this point? And that I would get away from the Mary-Sue syndrome (I think it was called?).

I had planned for a typical Kanto-like journey, (ok thats what I had in the back in my head) but I assume that's been overdone... I think what I'd like to do is more exploring than actual battling. (kind of like the movies, as opposed to the show). In the movies the pokemon were usually fighting in defense, and I think I'd like to do that. Techincally I'm not bound to go in order... (lol imagination). Ok well if I go with the exploratory route, then I'd have to come up with stuff to explore. Is it generally accepted to include something that was not mentioned in the anime or the games, and make it up in the fic (of course as long as sufficient detail is made)?

I guess what I am really asking for is any inspirations or ideas you guys might have that may validate the storyline? Hmmm, I just thought of it, but I think one of the main reasons why I'd like the storyline I like, is merely because I'd want to incorporate my favourite pokemon which I assume everyone else has done. I suppose at this point, it's better just to be a character within a RP, with a GM.

And please for the love of god don't mention Pokemorphs as an idea. :P ;) Also I can't write Romances, but instead, enjoy writing from a young person's perspective (a thing I am somewhat unable to do in RPs).

PS I'm a newb when it comes to the whole fanfic business XD

Last edited:

Scales

Man of Infinite Jest
    Years
  • Well ideas are rather hard to come by. I normally start with developing a protagonist first, then a situation, then an antagonist and go from there. When in doubt listen to people retell stories, read a LOT (I mean a LOT. Reading other stories helps more then anything else) and even roleplaying. If all else fails just try writing a collaboration with another writer and see what you can contribute

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
  • "Is it generally accepted to include something that was not mentioned in the anime or the games, and make it up in the fic (of course as long as sufficient detail is made)?"

Yeah, I think that's taken pretty well. Some people's fics aren't canon at all, while others state at the outset that their characters are in a new region where the rules are slightly different. So if you want to to tackle an issue that the Pokeverse doesn't mention, no one will complain. As long as you aren't flipping everything around, like saying that humans evolved from Pokemon...

I don't really know what to suggest, but the first thing that occured to me was just derailing the journeyfic plot. Young trainer grabs starter Poke, sets off on journey, gets some badges - and is suddenly distracted by something completely unrelated to Pokemon battling. It's a big world, after all. There's a lot of stuff to be distracted by. Maybe he/she gets persuaded by smugglers, or lost in the forest, or sent on a pointless quest across the whole region. Battling takes a back seat, but Pokemon are still at the forefront because they're kind of everywhere.

As for avoiding cliches, I think the biggest one is the first scene. You know, where the trainer-to-be wakes up, eats breakfast, and runs to the lab to get their starter. It's so tiresome. Skip that entirely and start the story "in the middle of things", say, at the first gym battle.

However, if your protagonist really is a rejected orphan who learns important life lessons, you have a lot to make up for. (I really hope you were exaggerating.)

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Yeah it was a bit of an exaggeration >.> haha

Yeah, I think to skip that whole beginning thing, I might start with an unorthodox beginning that doesn't even allow for a chance to get a starter pokemon. As for the journeying, I think I could make it so that the protagonist's journey/interest, was to never start fighting or fighting in gyms (etc), but rather just explore the country sides, and perhaps solve x mystery (lots of mysteries in the pokeverse after all, XD)

EDIT: I suppose to change things up (to what extent I am not sure, as I have not read all fics), but perhaps it could be taken from the past, like that my character would be recalling the past. However, the only thing with that, is that first person works best in this scenerio, and I don't like first person as much.

Last edited:
    Back