• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"A Shield with a Twist" Episode Discussion

Years
  • No idea if I'm allowed to do this but I didn't see a thread for it, and also, since it aired in the UK this morning...

Anyway.

I thought this was quite a good episode, they appear to have kept alot of music from the Japanese version.

The minute Fantina gives a name to Ash's new move, the "Counter Shield", you can tell it's going to be used more, just like "Fire-Water Fusion" and "Ice Aqua Jet".

I'm sure I said it when I watched the Japanese version, but this is a very classic Gym battle, in my opinion, it's really just a normal battle, with no official rematch, which is rare nowadays.
    icon12.gif

Also, Yay for mention of Byron!
    icon10.gif

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    My recorder broke LOL. When I fast forwarded the sound broke on it and all the channels did...its OK on normal TV. I noticed that PUSA was replacing a lot of the battle music (or at least was keeping less silence and putting their ugly music in), but I did hear 5 before the recorder broke: Satoshi's Battle Decision, DPP Wild Pokemon Battle, Flying Pokeball Chaos from movie 1 and I can't remember the other two, I was just remembering off the top of my head XD

Oh yeah, I completly didn't understand what Fantina said when she came in the gym XD It was like akdjsdfjsdnfdk,dHearthomeGym! But it must've been the same for the people in Japan where she said that line in English rather than French.

BUG♥CATCHER★BREEZE

Lurker from the deep
    Years
  • I actually understood the stuff Fantina said (because I do French in school, after all). I missed the very beginning, (I only saw it from around the time Driftlim tries to put Pikachu to asleep. So, I don't know the bit Jorah said). But she only says very basic French anyway (C'est = It is... etc.), and some of it is kind of obviously pretty similar in English.
    Good, I wish I had got up a bit eariler. XD

Years
  • No idea if I'm allowed to do this but I didn't see a thread for it, and also, since it aired in the UK this morning...

I forgot about the time difference, and I wasn't sure if I was going to do it, anyway.

I'll let it go, since people are replying here. But, yeah, only Mods should post episode discussions, or people with the Mod's permission. Whenever in doubt, ask.

Okies?

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    OK, my recorder is working again! Hooray! Anyway, I counted 8 pieces of music but it's hard to keep count when you're counting with your fingers XDD I really don't understand much French, but it doesn't matter.

The judge sounds like James, there is no interruption from Team Rocket and Jessie wins a ribbon!

Last edited:

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • I had to go on the second page for this thread. Anyway:

-Oh no terrible animation.
    -Jun, Satoshi is better than you. So is Melissa.
    -The animation is back and forth for me.
    The Relic badge.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Loved this episode

Gengar was the best part, and totally brought back that classic feeling.
    The Counter Shield concept was great
    Jessie having a contest without the competition of a main character was sweet.
    Her appeal was great too(Until she decided to sing)
    Barry should stay with Ash and the gang.

Years
  • Yeah...^^
    It was definitely interesting. xD

Lol, Ash finally stayed awake long enough to teach them something. xD
    And Jesse finally won another ribbon. xD

wee187

Beat 358/2 Days on 10/5/09
    Years
  • This episode was good, and the ending was amazing as now it seems Barry will be traveling with them for quite a while to Canalave City and then to Iron Island.

First off, the match. IMO it was excellent, nice tension and kept you in there waiting for more. It seemed like an actual game match actually, almost identical to mine I had in Platinum. Cleaning the floor at first, then all my pokemon dying off one by one until the very last one saves the day.

I was glad to see Jessie won another contest, now she has two ribbons, yay.

Barry finally has some good respect for Ash after seeing that gym battle, so that's good as well. I really look forward to next week's episode!

So, overall, I give this week's episode a nice 8.5/10.

Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2010
    This episode was good and so was the gym battle and between Ash (Satoshi) and Fantina (Melissa). I also saw that Jesse (Mushashi) has one two ribbons so far in the contests, which means that she is probably getting better with them.

Lana.

*spin*
    Years
  • *just watched it on Youtube*
    I loved this episode. Barry's mention of Chinchar seeming happier made me grin, too. ^^

Let's see, what else...

Oh! One complaint is that they really didn't try as hard to cover Jessie's contest (no battles or anything).

Also, the appeal was interesting, but sort of contradictory to what Zoey had said to Dawn when she lost. To me, it seemed Jessie was more in the spotlight than Yanmega.

...and I think that wraps up what I have to say. Good episode overall, and Ash gets another badge! ^^

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    I recently watched this episode on Youtube and this is what I have to say:

- Buizel For The Win
    - "Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
    - Chimchar For The Win
    - "Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
    - Aw shucks, why'd Pikachu have to go and break the chain?
    - Buizel loses
    - Hey, Jessie recieves another ribbon, now that's nice
    - Chimchar For The Win (again)
    - Aw, I guess there was no "Nooooooooooooooo!" this time

LOL, this episode was truly one of the best Sinnoh Gym Battles Ash has had in a long time. It involved strategy, contests, comedy, and action from start to the end. Barry was a great addition and I'm glad the writers have kept him for the next episode to come .

All in all, 10/10...I really enjoyed this one :)

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
  • Eh, the battle was decent but Chimchar's victory felt a bit like it was "My strategy wins because I say so". My ELoT:

- What special training?
    - God, that orange dress is hideous.
    - The referee's voice sounds like someone from YGOTAS.
    - WHAT SPECIAL TRAINING?
    - Nice work destroying the gym, Ash.
    - And nice work failing.
    - I don't remeber this "training"...
    - LOL @ Fantina's scream
    - I can see Jessie in the Grand Festival at this rate...
    - Chimchar can...fly?
    - Repeated screaming animation?
    - PIKACHU FAILS!
    - BUIZEL FAILS!
    - Er...what?

Blue_Drifblim

¯\(º_o)/¯
    Years
  • I love this episode so much...

- Giant Drifblim on Gym is awesome.
    - Fantina! Love her accent.
    - Magolica... That sounds familiar for some reason.
    - Gengar vs Buizel.
    - Oh snap! Buizel's breakdancin'!
    - Buizel wins!
    - "Nooooooo!" Gotta love her.
    - Counter shield, eh?
    - Jessie FTW! That was some smooth animation...
    - Chimchar vs Mismagius.
    - Chimchar wins!
    - Jessie winning the contest FTW!
    - Pikachu vs Drifblim<3!
    - That Hypnosis face is great...
    - Drifblim wins! So awesome...
    - Buizel vs Drifblim!
    - Drifblim wins... again!
    - Chimchar vs Drifblim!
    - You know, I really do want to know what Fantina is saying. XD
    - Epic music for an epic fight.
    - That was a pretty cool thing Chimchar did.
    - Ash is victorious! WHOOO!
    - TO BE CONTINUED...

A definite favorite episode of mine. It was a really good episode all around. Jessie getting another ribbon, plus what I consider the best Sinnoh gym battle so far made is so good... I'm so glad about the way the anime portrayed Drifblim, since in case you haven't noticed, I'm a big fan of it.

PUSA kept the only piece(Chimchar vs Drifblim piece) that I was really hoping they would use, so that made me extremely happy.

Last edited:

Wish

No spoils for the meek.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2018
    I loved the gym battle this time around. You got to love Fantina and her French accent.

- "Noooo!"
    - Jessie wins another ribbon
    - Speaking of Jessie, Her hair is pwnage
    - You'd think one of those stained glass windows would break at this point.
    - Counter-counter shield?
    - If only Psychic could heal paralysis. :\
    - Pikachu and Buizel fell to Drifblim. :<
    - Wai...I thought ground moves didn't affect flying type pokemon. :\
    - Ash wins anyway
    - Canalave City next!
    - Barry is tagging along. I kind of like Barry, so I'm fine.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    This episode was great. i liked it when Fantina would say "Nooo!" it made me laugh! :)

This episode was epic and I give it a thumbs up. xD

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
    Years
  • Only thing I remember:

Laughing hysterically when Chimchar grabbed onto Drifblim and threw him. I was like "Wouldn't the BLIMP pokemon... float?"

Back