• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you ever noticed...

old Owl

Guardian of the Night
Years
  • Ash's Pokemon. They are all the outcasts, the, er, overshadowed. Ash's Pokemon almost never evolve, especially the Starters. When Ash encounters a really good Pokemon, he's all like, "Oh, no, you'll be happier here! We'll meet again someday," but then they never do! Or Ash takes one of his now-extinct awesome Pokemon, and leaves it with someone else, for 'training'.

Has anybody noticed that?

Lol. Just a sort of, um, theory I have...X3

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • Well, the current series seems to be disproving your theory.

Spoiler:

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • Well, yeah, generally what you're saying is true. But as of recently, beginning at the start of season 9, Pokémon Battle Frontier, he started bringing Charizard and Donphan back. Others as well.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    In the past Ash's team did consist of a lot of non-evolved pokemon, but ever since the begining of the Battle Frontier till now, he has been gaining a lot of new Pokémon on his team that have been evolving. I shouldn't have to say any as Warped Reflection has already done so. :)

old Owl

Guardian of the Night
    Years
  • True.

I suppose it's a bit of a joke with my friend and I, we both talk about that kind of thing for like hours, and we laugh about it. Go through all the holes and such.

Ah, well, something to do when you're bored :P

Gusxx1

Name/FC: Gus / 4082 1523 9868
    Years
  • The only thing about the anime is how the slogan is "gotta catch em all" or it use to be anyway and Ashs last name is "ketchem" But in every region he catchs the main flying pokemon, the three starters ( Not with sinnoh, I don't think?). I would love to see him catch more pokemon. I mean he has like maybe less then 50 pokemon not counting tauros. Well there goes my rant >.<. Sorry.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • The line "Gotta catch 'em all" was actually a dub creation for mainly marketing. Since the GSC series, they dropped the line. Of course, they can't change Satoshi's last name in the dub now so they stuck with that much.

He didn't have the 3 Hoenn starters either.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Plus, now Ash's Squirtle is back with the Squirtle Sqad, and his Charizard is at Charific Valley and only comes when the writers feel he is needed.

I don't think the writers ever intended Ash to catch all the pokemon either. Just to keep that "Gotta Chatch 'em All" as a catch phrase.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • You wouldn't think that the writers would. The original saying was "Catch Pokémon" more or less so I guess he does a bad job at that.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    That might very well have a possibility. Ash did say himself one time that he wants to catch all the Pokémon there is, but that was a while back; correct me if I may be wrong.

Gusxx1

Name/FC: Gus / 4082 1523 9868
    Years
  • That might very well have a possibility. Ash did say himself one time that he wants to catch all the Pokémon there is, but that was a while back; correct me if I may be wrong.
    No your right, In the very first episode i believe he did say he wanted to "catch em' all". Also i disagree with it being just used as marketing. There are tons of pokemon now compared to the r/b/y, g/s/c games. Maybe thats why they got rid of the slogan.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    No, it was a dub-only slogan, meaning the dub changed what it said in the original Japanese version. In Japanese, the first line of the opening first opening is "Pokemon GETTO da ze!" which can mean "I got a Pokemon" or "Get Pokemon" depending on how it's used. Whenever he caught a Pokemon, he says "___ GETTO da ze!" and he says that when he gets badges or anything. The dub just changed the saying to "Gotta catch 'em all" and, obviously, couldn't really use that for when he got a Pokemon or badge haha

Years
  • In the beginning he wanted to catch them all but soon realized that it would be impracticable. Not to mention hard on Professor Oak & Tracy.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Ash caught some Pokemon that were not used much in the game. Now with Sinnoh, he's got Pokemon that are commonly used.

Well, in Kanto he also had commonly used Pokemon. Everyone has to have a starter and he got all of them, Pidgeotto/Pidgeot was also very common. And those four and Pikachu are the ones he kept with him. Butterfree would also be quite common since you get Caterpie's in Viridian Forest but he released it, Primape wouldn't be so common but he released that after about 5 episodes, Kingler was hardly used and so was Muk. They give mostly commonly used Pokemon in the party so children can relate to Ash more, probably.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    That makes sense. But now with Sinnoh, we are they going so off the beaten path?

He's still largely got most of his team fairly early on in Sinnoh, which makes sense because that's how a lot of people play the games. The first 5+starter are their team (though they might wait to see a certain type of Pokemon for the sake of diversity). That's a big reason why Ash gets at least one regional "starter" and the regional bird Pokemon.

Psyburn

Is not Kazaam
    Years
  • Its kinda hard to swallow for most (like me), but the new episodes seem to be trying to right the wrongs of the series in some way.

Back