• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why does Pikachu have a higher pitch voice?

Years
  • In the recent seasons, according to bulbapedia, it's the same voice actor, Ikue Ohtani so why did they change the pitch, they just wanted to try something new or something? or maybe it is a different voice actor??

Lash

Years
  • Ikue Ohtani + Helium = the answer to your question.

Maybe peoples voices don't constantly stay the same, maybe her voice changed a little from the original days?

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    I. . Don't hear any differences. But it's the same voice actor. It sounds exactly the same.​

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    I can offer a guess. I remember watching an episode of Ben 10 meant for the English folk (read England), and the character's voices sounded higher pitch than the American version I was accustomed to.

Whether they make differences like that to each country I am not sure.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Meh, it happens. Human voices never stay the same pitch.

If they did, we would all be babies trying to take over the world while wearing Dora the Explorer diapers.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Hmmm what I meant to say, in both cases (of the Ben 10 show) it was also the same voiced actors.

Perhaps there is a certain audio setting that determines pitch?

Also, if you have been watching them via the internet, I'd expect audio quality to be variable.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    There is a bit of difference, but you would expect there to be after 11 years. Satoshi's voice is a bit deeper in DP I realised, after I watched a random Kanto episode in Japanese, and I noticed Nyasu's voice is quite a bit deeper in DP than Kanto. You could also notice this with the dub VAs too. In Kanto Ash's voice is quite deep but can sound rather oddly girly at times, it goes a bit higher in Orange Islands and then goes deeper again by Advanced Battle. James ended up sounding really girly, Brock ended up sounding exactly like Seto Kaiba but Misty and Jessie always sounded quite consistent over Kanto-Advanced Battle, I've always thought, except Jessie used to sound a bit stiff at the start. TPCI's Ash has changed quite a lot, he used to sound really deep, went quite girly in the middle of DP, but then went deeper again, but not as deep as it was in Battle Frontier. But TPCI Ash is different, since she was most likely experimenting with voices rather than changing over time, haha.

Years
  • I. . Don't hear any differences. But it's the same voice actor. It sounds exactly the same.​

You must have never watched the original series, there is an obvious difference, in the original series the voice is more deeper and more male sounding, but in this season, Pikachu 's voice can get really high at times.

BUG♥CATCHER★BREEZE

Lurker from the deep
    Years
  • You must have never watched the original series, there is an obvious difference, in the original series the voice is more deeper and more male sounding, but in this season, Pikachu 's voice can get really high at times.

Well, according to Bulbapedia, in some episodes during the first season of the English dub, Rachel Lillis provided its voice when the original Japanese track couldn't be saved.
    Mystery solved! :P You're right, and not crazy!

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    That was only in 2 scenes though, in one scene in episode 9 and in another scene a little later in the series. It was only a few words.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 10, 2015
    Maybe Pikachu hasn't hit puberty yet. :D

Well, I know after some years... my voice has changed. Maybe it's just the years? Or maybe they told the actor to change the pitch, cos it sounded too unlike a pikachu?

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • One can't expect a human's voice to stay at the same pitch. It would always change as he/she progresses through his/her life.

Back