• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Unlikely Heroes

BUG!

Sprite Fusionist
Years
Hai, this is like my first time posting so dont be to hard on me xD
This fanfic is based in the Sinnoh Region, not just sinnoh pokemon are included though.

This is a fanfic on a boy called Jasper and his dreams of becoming a pokemon champion and how it all plays out for him.

The First two chapters are already written and are displayed like so.

Enjoy, i know i did writing it.

Chapter 1: It Begins

"Articuno! use Ice Beam!" Jasper exclaims as he calls the finishing blow to the elite four champion's Garchomp.
This was the most important part of young 10yr old Jasper's life, the gyms, the travelling, the training, the elite four.. if he were to succeed here, his whole career would be set out for him.
As the Ice Beam pierces the Garchomp, a strange noise is heard. It is not too unfarmiliar, as he has heard it countless times and at the loudest setting. Much to Jaspers dismay, waking up and facing reality was a tough thing.
Jasper performs a stupendous hammer arm as he stops the noise that was his alarm clock.
Jasper got up, it was the first of the month, first of the year. Today was the Day. Today was the start of his new job, lotto ticket clerk at Jubilife TV station. He wasn't that excited though, as the job included standing around all day, giving out almost nothing to the pokemon trainers who rarely come into the centre in the first place for $50 per hour. Not you're average dream job.
Jasper, after having eaten his breakfast and got his shoes on, started out toward Jubulife City with a small poochyena his mum gave to him for the journey.
"Keep safe Jasper! don't overdo little Sparky now." Sparky was the nickname of the tiny grey and black mutt, and its name reflected its attitude very well, as it was all over the place all of the time, staying in one spot was a rarity for one such as Sparky.
"I'll be just fine and I won't overdo him I promise." replied Jasper with a drowzy 'can't be bothered' tone to his voice. He then headed off..
"First stop, Sandgem town," said Jasper, "We can stop there for a bite to eat, whaddya think?"
A short runty bark followed.
"That's the spirit" Jasper said calmly. He had just realised that since the minor tremors happening in Sinnoh, the paths leading out of the tall grass were higher than the ones leading into them.
~thats too high for me to climb~ thought Jasper,
"change of direction Sparky.!" Jasper snapped, "we're gonna have to go through the grass this time bud."
Rain started to pour down, thunder and lightening following it shortly, Sparky ran off into the distance scared of the noise and sights.
"Sparky!" Jasper groaned, "Stupid dog...!"
He heard the cry of a pokemon, the pokemon he didn't want to hear. It was a Scyther, and it was headed this way!
"SCYTHERRR!!" A wild Scyther popped out of the tall grass and charged toward Jasper.
Jasper ran in the direction that the hyperactive puffball sprinted in to hopefully find him and use him but at that same moment he lost grip, slipped in the mud and hit his head off of the wall he had been facing several moments ago.
He was out cold.
In the tall grass.
Without a pokemon..

Chapter 2: An Unlikely Savior

Jasper opened his eyes, all he sees is a white blankness laid out before him like the neverending storm he was caught in earler, "Is this heaven? did i die?"
"Oh he's awake! he's very much awake!"
Jasper sat up, the white ceiling of the pokemon centre could have easily fooled him. He turned around to get a glimpse of the face behind the agitated voice. It was a young red-haired girl with ponytails that looped round in a circle, wearing a white dress that went down to about her knees and a bright cheery face to boot.
"Oh splendid! He most certainly is Ruth."
After catching on to the fact it wasn't the young redhead talking he turned around to see another redhead in her mid twenties with the same looped ponytails that the younger one had, and the dress, same colour, same length, same smiling cheery happy face too. Jasper turned round again, expecting the young girl to be gone, The girl and woman laughed.
"I'm nurse Joy," said the older one, "and this is my daughter Ruth"
"nice to meetcha mister!" said Ruth.
"Ah, i must be in the pokemon centre," Jasper thought, "which one? Sandgem's the closest.."
Nurse Joy nodded, seeming to tell him that he was right.
"But how?" Jasper said. Nurse Joy noticed the confused look in his eyes and immediately left the room, and shortly returning with something in her hands, about the size of a loaf of bread, but green, round and had a yellow tuft of hair sticking out of the top.
"Eugh!! you're not feeding me that!?" Jasper exclaimed, "Last thing i want to eat is a mouldy loa- uh?"
Nurse joy turned the object around, revealing that it was a bit more than a mouldy loaf of bread, but a pokemon with beady eyes and puckered lips.
"a....Gulpin?" Jasper looked even more confused as to why there was a Gulpin in the pokemon centre, out of its pokeball.
"Not just any Gulpin," Nurse Joy explained, "This Gulpin was found with you completely in its mouth and it was also being attacked by a wild Scyther."
Jasper looked into the Gulpin's eyes, "But, How? It's a tiny little thing... and the Scyther?"
"Gulpins can extend their bodies and mouths to eat almost everything, it's no surprise that you were able to fit inside it, and as they can extend their bodies, they can swell it up to nullify attacks too, the Scyther wasn't getting very far at all."
Jasper looked up with a solemn look on his face, "Oh, then this little guy..."
"Yes, lil' Gulpin here saved you." said Ruth, butting in modestly, "I found him and fought off the Scyther with my Charmander!"
"Wow, Thanks." said Jasper, "Oh! Did you by chance see a Poochyena run past this town lately?"
"There was a little poochyena running by here," said Ruth, "It ran in the direction of Jubilife City methinks.."
"Ah! Thank you." Jasper heartily said, "I'd better run off and catch it, thats the family pokemon."
"Wait!" Nurse Joy exclaimed, "The reason that you're here is because you didn't have a pokemon with you. If you go running off you might not make it back."
Upon hearing this Jasper stopped, and thought. The Gulpin shuffled its way towards Jasper, leaving a slimy trail of gunk behind it, which a pokemon centre visitor slipped on. Jasper looked again into the beady eyes of the Gulpin, then looked up.
"You got a spare pokeball?"

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
Years
Oh there's a thing I forgot to mention:

Paragraph Spacing! xD

BUG!

Sprite Fusionist
Years
I'm doing the lowest level of english you can do, is it any surprise? :P

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
Years
...probably not, but hey, now I've told you how to fix it :P xD

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
So I'm going to be kind enough to space it for you and attempt to edit what appears wrong. My edits will be in red and also in brackets.

Hai, this is like my first time posting so dont be to hard on me xD
This fanfic is based in the Sinnoh Region, not just sinnoh pokemon are included though.

This is a fanfic on a boy called Jasper and his dreams of becoming a pokemon champion and how it all plays out for him.

The First two chapters are already written and are displayed like so.

Enjoy, i know i did writing it.

Chapter 1: It Begins

"Articuno! Use Ice Beam!" Jasper exclaims as he calls the finishing blow to the elite four champion's Garchomp.

This was the most important part of young 10 year old Jasper's life (okay the anime and game might not cover this portion as well, but generally, a 10 year old cannot beat the elite four), the gyms, the travelling, the training, the elite four... If he were to succeed here, his whole career would be set out for him. (Why is that? After all, he only won one competition) As the Ice Beam pierces the Garchomp, a strange noise is heard. It is not too unfarmiliar, as he has heard it countless times and at the loudest setting. Much to Jasper's dismay, waking up and facing reality was a tough thing.
Jasper performs a stupendous hammer arm as he stops the noise that was his alarm clock.

Jasper got up, it was the first of the month, first of the year. Today was the day, today was the start of his new job, lotto ticket clerk at Jubilife TV station. (Are 10 year olds allowed to do that kind of work? Especially in gambling?) He wasn't that excited though, as the job included standing around all day, giving out almost nothing to the pokemon trainers who rarely come into the centre in the first place for $50 per hour. Not you're average dream job. (These two last sentences are confusing)

Jasper, after having eaten his breakfast and getting his shoes on, started out towards Jubulife City with a small poochyena his mum gave to him for the journey.

"Keep safe Jasper! don't overdo little Sparky (that name is a little TOO unoriginal)now."

Sparky was the nickname of the tiny grey and black mutt, and its name reflected its attitude very well, as it was all over the place all of the time, staying in one spot was a rarity for one such as Sparky. (I suggest putting this paragraph, right after mentioning the poochyena)

"I'll be just fine and I won't overdo him I promise." (might want to be more specific here, right now it sounds like something inappropriate) replied Jasper with a drowsy 'can't be bothered' tone to his voice. He then headed off..

"First stop, Sandgem town," said Jasper. "We can stop there for a bite to eat, whaddya think?"

"That's the spirit" Jasper said calmly. He had just realised that since the minor tremors started happening in Sinnoh, the paths leading out of the tall grass were higher than the ones leading into them. (might want to lead on to this earlier on, as the reader will probably act like: Wait, what? Tremors?)

"Thats too high for me to climb," thought Jasper, "change of direction Sparky.!" (might want to describe the actual blockade here, or whatever that is impeding their progress)

Jasper snapped, "we're gonna have to go through the grass this time bud."

Rain started to pour down, thunder and lightening following it shortly, Sparky ran off into the distance scared of the noise and sights.

"Sparky!" Jasper groaned, "Stupid dog...!"

He heard the cry of a pokemon, the pokemon he didn't want to hear. It was a Scyther, and it was headed this way! (Are you sure about this? There could be plenty of other Pokemon, reading the first sentence makes it sound like it is the Poochyena, until you clarified it)

"SCYTHERRR!!" A wild Scyther popped out of the tall grass and charged toward Jasper.
Jasper ran in the direction that the hyperactive puffball sprinted in, to hopefully find him and use him but at that same moment he lost grip, slipped in the mud and hit his head off of the wall he had been facing several moments ago. (this sentence is not only confusing, but needs to be slowed down, you're cramming too much action in it)

He was out cold. In the tall grass. Without a pokemon..

Jasper opened his eyes, all he sees is a white blankness laid out before him like the never ending storm he was caught in earlier, "Is this heaven? Did i die?"

"Oh he's awake! He's very much awake!"

Jasper sat up, the white ceiling of the pokemon centre could have easily fooled him. He turned around to get a glimpse of the face behind the agitated voice. It was a young red-haired girl with ponytails that looped round in a circle. She was wearing a white dress that went down to about her knees and had a bright cheery face to boot.

"Oh splendid! He most certainly is Ruth." (A nurse stating the obvious that doesn't trust her daughter to know if a human is awake?)

After catching on to the fact it wasn't the young redhead talking he turned around to see another redhead in her mid twenties with the same looped ponytails that the younger one had, and the dress, same colour, same length, same smiling cheery happy face too. Jasper turned round again, expecting the young girl to be gone. The girl and woman laughed. (This paragraph, specifically the first sentence is a bit confusing)

"I'm nurse Joy," said the older one, "and this is my daughter Ruth."

"Nice to meetcha mister!" said Ruth.

"Ah, i must be in the pokemon centre," Jasper thought, "which one? Sandgem's the closest.."

Nurse Joy nodded, seeming to tell him that he was right. (Nurse Joy can suddenly read thoughts?)

"But how?" Jasper said (asked or questioned might be a btter word here). Nurse Joy noticed the confused look in his eyes and immediately left the room, and shortly returning with something in her hands, about the size of a loaf of bread, but green, round and had a yellow tuft of hair sticking out of the top. (last sentence is confusing)

"Eugh!! You're not feeding me that!?" Jasper exclaimed, "last thing i want to eat is a
mouldy loa- uh?"

Nurse joy turned the object around, revealing that it was a bit more than a mouldy loaf of bread, but a pokemon with beady eyes and puckered lips.

"A.... Gulpin?" Jasper looked even more confused as to why there was a Gulpin in the pokemon centre, out of its pokeball.

"Not just any Gulpin," Nurse Joy explained, "This Gulpin was found with you completely in its mouth and it was also being attacked by a wild Scyther." (completely in its mouth? Sounds confusing)

Jasper looked into the Gulpin's eyes, "But, How? It's a tiny little thing... And the Scyther?"

"Gulpins can extend their bodies and mouths to eat almost everything, it's no surprise that you were able to fit inside it, and as they can extend their bodies, they can swell it up to (defend from; sounds less confusing) nullify attacks too, the Scyther wasn't getting very far at all."

Jasper looked up with a solemn look on his face, "Oh, then this little guy..."

"Yes, lil' Gulpin here saved you." Said Ruth, butting in modestly (There's nothing modest about butting in), "I found him and fought off the Scyther with my Charmander!"

"Wow, thanks." Said Jasper, "Oh! Did you by chance see a Poochyena run past this town lately?"

"There was a little poochyena running by here," said Ruth, "It ran in the direction of Jubilife City methinks.." (Is it in her character to suddenly say "methinks"?)

"Ah! Thank you." Jasper heartily said, "I'd better run off and catch it, that's the family pokemon."

"Wait!" Nurse Joy exclaimed, "The reason that you're here is because you didn't have a pokemon with you. If you go running off you might not make it back." (A bit too much like the games)

Upon hearing this Jasper stopped, and thought. The Gulpin shuffled its way towards Jasper, leaving a slimy trail of gunk behind it, which a pokemon centre visitor slipped on. (Just like that? Perhaps two sentences are better for that) Jasper looked again into the beady eyes of the Gulpin, then looked up.

"You got a spare pokeball?"

Notes:

*Watch tense confusion, I've noticed a few spots where you jump from present to past tense.

*Watch your grammar.

*Watch for confusing sentences (to avoid this, reread sentences, or even read them out loud).

---
General review: As an OT fic, it's okay, that is to say, there is nothing interesting or spectacular about it, but you are at least making an effort to make it somewhat different. If this is your first fic, I encourage you to keep writing, as it should only help your skills. :)

BUG!

Sprite Fusionist
Years
Right i sort of dropped this and came back to it, hopefully improved it too. Read away.

Chapter 1: It begins
A blue luxurious velvet cloth stretched out over the sky, covering everything it touched with a jolt of happiness. A warm silky orange globe accompanied the heavenly cobalt cloth sending heat to the ground, both the trainers broke sweat, this was a battle like no other, and the day only complimented the occasion.
The battle of the century was nearing its end.
'Froslass, use Ice Beam!' Jasper commanded as he called the checkmate to the elite four champion's Garchomp.
This was the most important part of Jasper's iconic life, the vigorous training, the tedious travelling, the tough gyms, the even tougher elite four.. if he were to succeed here, beat the champion, become the best... his whole pokemon battling career would be set out for him.
A cobalt blue ray of ice tore through the air lifting up dust from the ground as it homed in on its target with blinding speed. The blonde mistress shouted out her defense,
'Garchomp, dodge it,' she then pointed towards the floor, 'dig underground!' however it was too late, she knew it. Jasper knew it. The roaring crowd knew it. The time of reckoning had come, it was time.
The defenseless Garchomp speedily tried to dig its way underground to avoid the relentless attack, but the attack itself was faster than the hard-done digging of the Garchomp. It made contact with the dragon, resulting in a big, loud, stinging noise. The noise slowly increased in decibels and before long, Jasper found it hard to hear who the crowd were cheering as the victor.
Was it him? Was it her? Did the Garchomp survive?
The noise got louder, piercing Jaspers ears as the Ice Beam had pierced the Garchomp. But there was something wrong, something strange, as he has heard this noise countless times and at the loudest possible setting. Much to Jaspers dismay, waking up and facing reality was a tough thing.
Jasper got up with a stumble, it was the first of the month, first of the year. Today was the Day. Today was the start of his new job, lotto ticket clerk at Jubilife TV station. He wasn't that excited though, as the job included standing around all day, giving out practically nan to the pokemon trainer 'noobs' who came in with the same ID'd Pokemon over and over and over... Jasper shook his head, 'the pay had better be good,' he walked downstairs, counting them as he went, 'one, two, three, four, five, si-' a shadow darted downstairs and past him towards the kitchen, he chuckled, 'feeding time i'm guessing.'
Jasper finished off the stairs and started towards the dining table, before noticing a newspaper had been posted through the door.
'Must be todays paper,' Jasper assumed, 'wonder what's on it today?'
He headed into the kitchen, focusing contentedly on the paper he had in hand, the title read "Rampaging Ryhorn stopped by Kanto SA Agent." This was a story that had purpose, excitement and adventure all rolled into one, it wasn't often that a story like this popped up. From the title Jasper moved his eyes carefully over to the picture to compliment the title. There was a tall toned man in his twenties with short curly blonde hair and blue eyes, his appealing figure was accelled with the clothing he wore, a standard trousers and shirt combo. He was kneeling down beside what looked like a Growlithe.
'Lucky guy,' Jasper sat down at the table, he could tell he was going to enjoy reading this, it featured his most favourite thing in the world. Pokemon battling.
'Breakfast's up!' a bowl of Ho-O's flew threw the air, landing with grace in front of him, a splash of milk caught his face.
'Mum,' annoyingly Jasper lifted his eyes away from the marvel of a story that was his dream, 'I can get it myself.' he said as he wiped the Moomoo milk from his face.
'I only get it for you because most of the time you don't get it for yourself,' she teased, 'you're just lazy.' Jasper knew she was only joking, he replied with a smile. That was the great thing about his mother and him, they were more than just family, they were great friends too.
'Speaking of which,' she reminded him, 'when does your job start?'
'Two o'clock,' He retorted, 'If I head up at Twelve i'll be fine.' His mother was busy with the washing up, nodding at anything he said without even listening properly, He used this chance to finish his breakfast. As Jasper happily ate away at his Ho-O's the shadow from before munched away at its breakfast at the same time, it was Sparky. Sparky was new to the family. Small, fluffy, grey and black -in short- a Poochyena. Jasper had nicknamed it Sparky when it was adopted two weeks ago, the name reflected upon the attitude of the pup very well, it could almost never keep still.
After having eaten his breakfast and got his shoes on, Jasper started out toward Jubulife City with the small mutt as protection from wild pokemon, this wasn't completely necessary but as you guessed -or should have- Jaspers mum worries too much.
'Keep safe Jasper. Don't overdo little Sparky now.' As Sparky was all over the place all of the time, Jasper didn't need to worry about overdoing anyone but himself.
'I'll be just fine and I won't overdo it I promise.' replied Jasper with a drowzy 'can't be bothered' tone to his voice. He then headed off east, waving farewell to his mother as he left Twinleaf town..
'First stop, Sandgem town,' said Jasper, 'We can stop there for a bite to eat, whaddya think?'
'That's the spirit' Jasper said calmly. He was halted by a wall, which was slightly taller than usual, he conjectured that minor tremors had altered the terrain, the paths leading out of the tall grass were higher than the ones leading into them. It was clear to Jasper that he couldn't take the high road, as it really was too high for him to climb, nevermind Sparky too.
'Change of direction Sparky.' Jasper snapped, 'we're gonna have to go through the grass this time bud.'
Clouds had gathered above Jasper and Sparky, the weather was getting worse.
'Come on then, lets head through that grass!' Jasper said as he waded through the grass, as always Sparky was two steps in front.
Rain started to fall, starting with a little drizzle.
'Argh.. rain, lets pick up the pace lil' guy,' as Jasper said this the rain worsened, and the weather took a turn for the worse. Thunder and lightening followed the rain,
'Pooch!!' Poochyena was frightened of the thunder and lightening and was quivering in fear, looking as if it was about to-
'Sparky... stay boy,' Jasper moved closer to secure the hound. There was another flash of lightening followed by another boom of thunder.
'Yenaaaa!' Sparky ran off into the distance until he disappeared over the horizon.
"Sparky!" Jasper groaned, "Stupid dog!" He then heard the cry of a pokemon, the pokemon he didn't want to hear.
'thERR...' it was a faint cry, but he recognized it and immediately knew It was a Scyther, and it was headed this way!
Jasper ran in the direction that the hyperactive puffball sprinted in to hopefully find him and use him for defense against this wild pokemon but at that same moment he slipped in the mud and fell. As he fell he could hear the distant cries of the Scyther get closer, louder, and all of a sudden more intimidating. His head met a rock on the ground, his vision wen't black.

---

Jasper opened his eyes, all he sees is a white blankness laid out before him like the neverending storm he was caught in earler,
'Is this heaven? did i die?' He pinched himself, it felt real enough.
'Oh he's awake!' squealed a young voice, 'he's very much awake!'
Jasper sat up, the pearl white ceiling of the pokemon centre could have easily fooled him. He turned around to get a glimpse of the face behind the agitated voice. It was a young red-haired teenage girl with two ponytails that looped round in a circle, wearing a white dress that went down to about her knees and a bright cheery face to boot.
'Oh splendid,' sounded a slightly more mature voice. After catching on to the fact it wasn't the young redhead talking he turned around to see another redhead in her mid twenties with the same looped ponytails that the younger one had, and the dress, same colour, same length, same smiling cheery happy face too. Jasper turned round again, expecting the young girl to be gone, he jumped when he saw there was indeed two of them. The girl and woman laughed.
'I'm nurse Joy,' said the older one, 'and this is my daughter Ruth.'
'nice to meet'cha mister.' said Ruth.
Jasper caught on, 'Ah, i must be in the pokemon centre.'
Nurse Joy nodded to tell him he wasn't wrong.
'Which one?' Jasper was still unsure, 'Sandgem's the closest-'
His guess was followed by another brief nod from Nurse Joy.
'But how,' Jasper wondered, 'last time I had my eyes open i was in tall grass near to Twinleaf...'
Nurse Joy noticed the confused look in Jasper's eyes and left the room,
'Where's your mum off to?' He said, with a more confused look on his face.
His question was answered with a childish grin. Shortly after Nurse Joy returned with something in her hands, about the size of a standard TV set, it was a grass green, spherical in shape, with a yellow tuft of something sticking out very oddly from its top.
'Umm...' Jasper was unsure, he pointed at it, 'What is that?'
Nurse joy turned the object around, revealing that it was a bit more than a green circular television set, but a green circular pokemon with beady eyes and puckered lips. She put it down on the ground to let it wander.
'A Gulpin?' Jasper looked even more confused as to why there was a Gulpin in the pokemon centre, it didn't look tame, it was probably a wild pokemon that got lost...
The Gulpin looked around its new surroundings, there was a scent in the air, Gulpin started wandering around, leaving a gunklike trail of goo where it had once been.
'Not just any Gulpin,' Nurse Joy explained, 'This Gulpin was found just outside the pokemon centre with your head hanging out from its mouth.' Jasper tried to imagine himself inside the tiny pokemon, it couldn't have been done surely. Jasper looked into the Gulpin's beady eyes,
'But, How? It's a tiny little thing...'
'Gulpins can extend their bodies and mouths to eat almost everything, it's no surprise that you were able to fit inside it,' explained Ruth
At that moment, the Gulpin had found itself the source of the scent, it had cleverly noticed a dish of hospital food placed upon the main desk of the Pokemon Centre, although it towered high above, this was no impressive feat for it. Gulpin began to extend its body height.
'That's only half the story however,' Nurse Joy added, 'there was a wild Scyther attacking the poor Gulpin.'
'Then... it got hurt?' Jasper looked down at his shoes, he had never wanted to do damage to any pokemon, directly or inderectly, he felt completely guilty.
The Gulpin had almost reached the height of its prey.
'Oh no,' Ruth butted in, 'Just so you know, as well as extending their bodies Gulpins can also swell up their bodies to reduce the impact from enemy attackers.'
Gulpin opened its massive gaping hole of a mouth to consume the food laid out before it, it moved slowly toward the plate before sensing a danger from its behind, it swelled up its rear end and then received a vicious tackle from a Bidoof, who the food was clearly for. The attack sent Gulpin through the air, over the food and bouncing towards where it came, before landing on Jasper's feet. Jasper looked down into it's beady eyes.
He then looked up with a solemn look on his face, 'Oh, then this little guy...'
'Yes, lil' Gulpin here saved you.' Ruth had a gleam on her face, 'I found him and fought off the Scyther with my Qwilfish!'
'Wow, Thanks.' said Jasper, 'I owe you one huh?'
'No no no it's okay I enjoy battling,' Ruth blushed and put her hand behind her head, 'nothing pleased me more than just to help you.'
It was Jaspers turn to blush, his face went red.
'Well... uhh thanks then.' he also put his hand behind his head, only he did so to satisfy the itch that he had since five minutes ago, he felt much more at ease.
However there was then an awkward silence in the room, ease wasn't an easy thing to keep. The silence echoed through everyone's heads. Nurse Joy broke the muted trainers awkwardness,
'Well at least nobody got seriously hurt,' she pointed out Gulpin who had a few minor scratches, not noticing that a few was from a Bidoof a matter of moments ago, and then turned to Ruth, 'and you, even though it was bold it was silly,' she frowned at her daughter, 'You've only just become a trainer, it's best you live this life safe.'
Jasper's thoughts returned to his dream, the battle, his true longing. His thoughts moved on to how he got here, he didn't remember it, only that the weather was horrible and he fell over and-
'Oh!' He jolted to life, full of worry, 'Did you by chance see a Poochyena run past this town lately?'
Nurse Joy shook her head. Ruth raised her finger to her mouth as she looked back on the day,
'Lets see... woke up, had breakfast, wen't to Jenny's house, played with her smoochum dolls, had lunch, went home, had dinner and then i went out to train my Qwilfish,' she lit up, 'There was a little poochyena running by me about that time, it ran in the direction of Jubilife City I think.'
'Ah! Thank you so much,' Jasper heartily said, 'I'd better run off and find it, Sparky isn't really my pokemon.'
He paused and let the statement drift for a moment, there was no answer.
'OK then,' he started towards the exit, 'if all goes well then i'll come back and tell you how it went.'
'Wait!' Nurse Joy paused, Jasper stopped and turned around, she then spoke, 'The reason that you're here is because you didn't have a pokemon with you in the first place. If you go running off you won't be safe.'
Upon hearing this Jasper cursed, and thought about his options. The Gulpin shuffled its way towards Jasper, leaving the same slimy trail of gunk behind it. A pokemon centre visitor slipped on it, resulting in another patient, Nurse Joy frowned. After considering his options and the pokemon centre's safety in general Jasper looked again into the beady eyes of the Gulpin, then looked up.
'You got a spare pokeball?'

---
Chapter 3 - The Grand Adventure
The sun was up in the air spreading its blessings through the clear day as Jasper left Sandgem town. With a skip towards Jubilife city he looked down on what he held in his hands with pride. A red and yellow ball with a white grade seperating the two colours in the middle with a button in the center along the line. Inside this pokeball was the start of something he'd wanted all his life. From this point onward, Jasper was a pokemon trainer.
'Boy oh boy,' his face full of cheer and impatience, 'I want to battle. Now!' He sighted some tall grass and ran into it without thinking, he saw his first victim, a Bidoof.
'Yes!' he bellowed, 'prepare to battle fiend!' The Bidoof, startled by his sudden appearance and reckless behavior scuttled off into the overgrowth, disappearing without a trace.
Jasper was stumped, and a nearby girl laughed.
'Seems you're new to this whole trainer thing eh?' she tried to hide her smile, 'need some teaching?'
'I guess so,' Jasper noticed her giggling at him, 'Hey! stop that!'
'I'm sorry, its just you remind me of my little sister.' Her face calmed, 'I'm Dawn, and your name?'
'Jasper,' he remarked, 'and i am going to be the worlds best trainer.' He stood in a stance of sorts, clutching his prize pokeball in his hands. Dawn started to giggle again, slightly more obvious than last time.
'If you want to be the best you've got to learn, Jasper,' she beckoned him over to where she was standing and then pointed, 'see that? over there?'
Jasper walked over and looked, he suddenly noticed what she was pointing at, 'It's a pokemon!'
'Well done, now tell me,' she said this with a sly grin, 'what pokemon is it?'
There it was, sitting on top of a rock for observation, it was scanning the area for food, it's tiny body had blue skin, and black fur covering most of its back body and four legs, its ears twitched as it turned around, it had a head like a mouse. It looked directly at Jasper, watching with its childlike eyes before jumping off of the rock and trotting off.
'Uhh... was it a Zigzagoon?' he said confusedly.
'No, that's a Shinx,' Dawn corrected him, 'You don't know much, do you?'
He looked down at his shoes, 'No not really.'
'Well then lets go back to Sandgem town.' she patronised, 'I know a guy who can help you with this sort of thing.'
'Really?' Jasper's face lit up, bringing back the impatience, 'lets go then! come on!'
They started back towards Sandgem Town, Jasper looked at Dawn, She was a patient girl, her hair was in a neat ponytail which didn't go down as far as her neck, she had headwear of sorts, Jasper wasn't good with fashion, he reffered to it as a 'cowboy mouth coverer' and it was on her head, the rest of her clothing matched his, besides the skirt of course. Jasper walked faster once every so often in an attempt to get Dawn to do the same, he failed every time.
'So who is this guy you're taking me to?' He burst out, 'is he a trainer?'
She looked at him with a serious face, 'No. Not any more.'
'Oh,' Jasper imagined an old man retired from his job living peacefully in the comfort of his own house, 'Did he retire?'
Another serious look, with another blunt answer, 'No.'
Dawn was losing patience with him, he could tell. Jasper kept quiet for the rest of the walk, which wasn't long, they had arrived.
They reached a big building, with satellites propped on top, they were turning around gathering information it seemed. The door was like that of a normal house, but the house itself had no windows. Jasper wondered why.
They walked in, Dawn told Jasper to stay put, the inside of the house was dark and still, he looked around as Dawn walked off into the darkness. Very soon after, the lights flickered and came on. It wasn't a house, it was a laboratory. Gizmos here and gizmos there, everything about pokemon he could see before his eyes in perfect, ordered, harmony. One section of the lab seemed to be getting used as a makeshift house, it had a sink, a table, a fridge. Whoever worked here obviously worked a lot, to make their work a part of their lifestyle. He spied Dawn talking to a man in his 70s, he was tall and built like any normal person, wearing a lab coat that went down to his thighs, and a tear blue shirt underneath, with a heck of a moustache. He nodded at something Dawn said and then walked in Jasper's direction.
'Hello there,' the man took Jasper's hand and shook it firmly, 'you must be Jasper yes?'
Jasper nodded, 'Yes sir, I am' he was trying to be as polite as possible, he was in someone else's house after all.
'Welcome to my laboratory. Oh and Please, call me Professor Rowan,' his stern face told Jasper to do so without trouble, he obeyed.
'Y-yes sir-' He froze, 'I-I mean Professor Rowan.'
'Yes,'Rowan let out a gutteral cough to clear his throat, 'much better. Now follow me if you please.'
Rowan stopped in front of his desk, before turning back towards Jasper.
'Now tell me, what pokemon have you got?' he pointed to the pokeball, 'show me.'
Jasper followed his order, he tossed his ball of pride clumsily towards the space he walked in the floor between the desk and the door. The ball hit the ground. Nothing happened. Jasper panicked. What happened? Why wasn't his pokemon coming out of it's enclave?
'You have much more to learn than i expected it seems,' Rowan shook his head, 'when you summon a pokemon you must call out its name, so that it knows that it is needed. Do this now.'
A giggle was heard in the background, Jasper could tell it was Dawn, his misfortune just seemed to be funnier every time to her.
She shouted, 'Go pick it up silly.'
Jasper went and picked up the ball, anger and confidence shone through his face. He wasn't going to make any more mistakes.
'Go! Gulpin!' He threw the ball once more, it was sent hurtling through the air and in mid-flight the ball opened, releasing a bright white light that flowed towards the ground at a high speed, the light then formed the shape of his pokemon and the colour soon followed, revealing his pokemon in its entirety.
'Gulp!' the pokemon cried. It was the same as Jasper had saw it before it entered the pokeball, green, round, leaving slime trails. Jasper grinned and looked up towards Rowan.
'My my my,' Rowan showed particular interest, 'This is a rare case indeed. Where did you find it?'
'It found me Professor,' Jasper scratched the back of his head, 'I was in tall grass without any pokemon.'
Rowan's face went dark, 'And why was this?'
Jasper explained the whole story to Rowan, how he left with Sparky and how Sparky left without him. Followed by what Nurse Joy told him. Rowan's face returned more serious throughout this long explanation.
'It was by mere luck you were saved,' Rowan scolded, 'and what little chance you had, too. Gulpins are of Hoenn whereas we are of Sinnoh.'
The Gulpin had noticed the professor's fridge, the door was open, Gulpin's eyes lit up as it started toward the motherload.
Jasper didn't know anything about the location of wild Gulpin in the real world, he really was lucky, and only just too.
'Well i'm okay now...' Jasper tried.
'hm,' Rowan stared, 'that may be the case, but what if it happens again?'
He protested, 'It won't.'
'Only if you know your enemy,' Rowan veered onto the subject, 'when i was younger, i was a trainer, i was reckless, and i was then forced into retirement. From that moment on I have studied pokemon and their natures, their lives...' he broke off, 'but now it is too late for me, i am too old to take up my dream of being the best.'
Jasper immediately understood, 'My dream is to be the best, and i will do anything to fulfill it.'
Gulpin arrived at it's destination and then started swallowing the bountiful supply of food with its ever expanding mouth and stomach.
'I can help you with your dream,' the old professor replied, 'if you do a favor in return.'
'Anything!' his voice was full of hope.
Rowan looked, pondered and then made his move, 'Take this pokedex,' it will tell you what pokemon is which and more about them,' He handed Jasper a red machine, handheld, like his old game boy. It had a blue light that flashed once every so often, 'it will certainly help your dilemma with Zigzagoons and Shinx's.'
Jasper swung around and stared violently at Dawn,
'Yeah so i told him,' she stated, 'but if i didn't you wouldn't have that pokedex.'
'Still,' Jasper folded his arms, 'You shouldn't have told him!'
'Whatever,' Dawn lost interest, 'Grampa i'm away, i'll be back soon.'
Rowan nodded in approval and Dawn walked out of the door. Jasper watched her as she did so, still staring her down.
Gulpin, full after eating the contents of the fridge, retracted its body size and slouched back over to Jasper, its eyes watered with delight.
'Now that you have that pokedex, i'd like you to go out into the wild world and see every kind of pokemon for me,' Rowan closed his eyes, 'easy for someone that's going to be doing that anyway.'
Jasper looked back at the professor, 'Yes, i'll do it.'
Rowan walked Jasper to the door, Gulpin followed, 'That's the spirit, now go out on your adventure, take on everything and anything that faces you with a fighting spirit.'
'I will,' Jasper looked down confidently at Gulpin, 'we can do anything together!' He held the pokeball in his hands, and pointed it in Gulpin's direction, 'Gulpin. Return.'
The fully satisfied Gulpin let out some sort of smile and then turned into a magma red beam which fluctuated through the air as it returned to the pokeball. Jasper smiled back at the Gulpin as this happened. He knew this was going to be the start of something great.
As Jasper said goodbye to Rowan he re-traced his path towards where he came from. Sandgem town disappeared into the distance.
He entered some tall grass, wading through the unhandy overgrowth to get to Jubilife city and hopefully find Sparky there, he had to hurry, as little Sparky doesn't stay in the same place for too long.
There was a rustle behind him, Jasper swung round clutching his pokeball in his hands, readying himself for what was behind him. He heard a cry, it was farmiliar, too farmiliar. The rustling stopped and Jasper steadied, he started to walk off again, passing it off as a hallucination. However it was far from it. The green winged pokemon sprang from the tangle of tall grass. It was about human size, stood proudly like a human although it was a sort of bug with two blades extending from its arms. It was Scyther, no doubt it was the same one from earlier. Jasper raised his newly aqquired pokedex to scan the wild pokemon.
'Scyther, the mantis Pokemon,' the pokedex came to life speaking with a robotic voice, 'It is nearly impossible to parry Scyther's attacking blades. Its movements are like a ninja's.'
Jasper took in the information and threw his pokeball into the air.
'Go! Gulpin!'
Jasper stared confidently into his foe's sharp unmoving eyes. This was Jasper's first battle as a pokemon trainer.

Back