• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is the difference between...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
  • I took my first trip into the hacking section today and I wanna know: What is the difference between a hack and a game made with poccil's SDK aside from the platform they are developed and played on?

Mrchewy

nom nom nom
    Years
  • Typically, the expectations from an SDK game and a hack vary. For example, since hackers already have fully functioning battle/menu systems, typically people judge a hack based on its content - story, tiles, balance, etc. With this said, though, hacks don't necessarily have to be entirely "new games". There are many hacks which just make minor changes to the existing games, like changing wild Pokémon and making trainers harder.

Part of the challenge of making a starter kit game, though, is emulating these features and creating a world from the ground up. I'd say that hacking is more about improving and/or adding to what's already there, while game development is more about innovation.

Both platforms have their limitations, though. Hacking ROMs, while free and convenient, is treading on dangerous legal grounds. Making games in RMXP gives you more options at the cost of accessibility.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back