• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What to use?

shane2243

Dragonite Lover
Years
  • I want to make a game of similar concept to pokemon and jade cocoon, in that the player will capture monster and be able to fuse them in order to change appearance and abilities and all that jazz, but I'm unsure as to which program would be best to use.

I've had some experience with both rpg maker xp and vx, I think I preferred xp as it felt a little more user friendly, but I am more than willing to learn my way around vx if that's a better program, I only really used it for messing around, I'm a relatively fast learner so any help would be appreciated (if vx is the program I go for).

I should probably add a few more details as to what I'm aiming to create, I'd like to create a top down style game (similar to pokemon and most gb-ds ear rpg's) incorperate many features found in the games, such as random battles, periodic boss fights (gyms) and the ability to battle as a party, perhaps limiting to 3 team mates, one of which being you (e.g. the trainer and 2 pokemon fighting against 3 or 4 enemy pokemon), although I'd like to limit party size to about 3, possibly 4, I'd like to leave enemies open to incorporate large scale boss fights, e.g. one large boss and up to 10 minions, ranging from support to attacking in order to create difficulty on a newer scale.

Thanks in advance.

Glitchfinder

Let's all get along, please?
    Years
  • I would recommend that you use RMXP for this, unless you have the programming skill to pull this off in C++ or C#. As to the ideas you have presented, you would still need some significant skill in programming using Ruby, since this would require some fairly major changes to the default functions of Poccil's starter kit.

Anyway, I can't be the one to decide for you, so I will leave it at that. I hope you can get your idea off the ground, because it sounds like it could be developed into an interesting game, to say the least.

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    I love idea, especially adding the fusion part from Jade Cocoon, since I loved that part of that game. I also agree with what the poster above said. hopefully you will have the ability or assistance with that sort of ability to make this game.

shane2243

Dragonite Lover
    Years
  • I've decided to go with XP as recommend, also i have some experience with this tool as well, I will use the starter kit as a base, however since I'm not planning on a totally pokemon game, I wont be using everything, things like the menu's and such will be of my own design, ofc full credit will be given.

I'll start now, and hopefully have some sort of mini demo (just showing a few of my ideas realized, not a full demo with story, just a simple example of what I plan, to hopefully arouse interest) within a day or two.

Back