• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen 5th Gen Games Geared to two audiences?

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
Years
  • I have noticed that the main game is easy going and fun to play. It is challenging at times, but not the throw your game into the Aperture Science Incinerator challenging. The complain about it until you beat it kind of challenging. This appears to be for the younger audiences that are being introduced to the games.

The natures, breeding, IVs, EVs, and various other in depth things are for the older players who spend all their time competitive battling with other older people.

I like that they did this, and I hope that they further both aspects.

What do you think?

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I was hanging out with my brother and one of his good friends earlier today.

My brother is the most casual of casual pokemon players. He regards the games as the ultimate timesuck and a fun way to pass the time when he's otherwise bored.

His buddy is on the level of your average smogonite. He makes competitive build teams on both the UU and OU level and spends most of his game time breeding and EVing.

I'm somewhere in the middle, leaning toward the latter.

It was interesting to think that the three of us were sitting on my patio this afternoon throwing ideas out there as to what we each wanted to see from the fifth generation...what kinds of pokemon, what kinds of attacks, what kind of story, etc...

With each passing generation, GameFreak has done more and more to appeal to both crowds...adding both to the aesthetic and superficial side of things and to the analytical and stregic sides of things in every release. That's probably why the series is so popular. Even as the fandom slowly falls into a niche category amongst gamers at large, pokemon fans will always find something they love in the next games because of how adept GameFreak is at appealing to both halves of their audience.

Redrup

The Gentleman
    Years
  • I wouldn't support the inclusion of even more hidden values or breedable traits to the game. I think with Natures, IVs and EVs, there is already a huge amount of depth to the current system for those interesting in the competitive aspect of the series.

Years
  • I was hanging out with my brother and one of his good friends earlier today.

My brother is the most casual of casual pokemon players. He regards the games as the ultimate timesuck and a fun way to pass the time when he's otherwise bored.

His buddy is on the level of your average smogonite. He makes competitive build teams on both the UU and OU level and spends most of his game time breeding and EVing.

I'm somewhere in the middle, leaning toward the latter.

It was interesting to think that the three of us were sitting on my patio this afternoon throwing ideas out there as to what we each wanted to see from the fifth generation...what kinds of pokemon, what kinds of attacks, what kind of story, etc...

With each passing generation, GameFreak has done more and more to appeal to both crowds...adding both to the aesthetic and superficial side of things and to the analytical and stregic sides of things in every release. That's probably why the series is so popular. Even as the fandom slowly falls into a niche category amongst gamers at large, pokemon fans will always find something they love in the next games because of how adept GameFreak is at appealing to both halves of their audience.
    hmm i think that's justly put... i have a similar situation, where one of my old friends is a serious battler, my younger brother is casual, and I am intermediate, EV training and breeding for the fun of it, but not for serious battles.. as time has gone on, the aesthetic and story appeals for a younger crowd, while the engine gets deeper and appeals to intermediates and hardcore players. at least the aesthetics seem a bit more platatable this time for older players.

Thunderpunch

Pokemon Master
    Years
  • I wouldn't support the inclusion of even more hidden values or breedable traits to the game. I think with Natures, IVs and EVs, there is already a huge amount of depth to the current system for those interesting in the competitive aspect of the series.

Finally, another person who isn't brainwashed!

"More More More" doesn't always equal better. If they add any more effects to a pokemon's stat-gaining system they're only mindlessly complicating things

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    I've been playing pokemon for 7 years now, and just a little while ago I have sort of got into EV training and all. Teambuilding has always been important to me, it's just now that I've tried tampering with stats of my team. I'm far more for exploring than EV training and breeding though. The two audiences makes since and I'm just wondering if black and white do get a revamped battling system if somehow this will lean towards the older players. A more complex way of battling would definitely change how pkmn are raised, and possibly how their natures are chosen and breeding done.

ILoveDragonite

~~Do the wave~~
    Years
  • Finally, another person who isn't brainwashed!

"More More More" doesn't always equal better. If they add any more effects to a pokemon's stat-gaining system they're only mindlessly complicating things
    Brainwashed? Oh, you don't have a facebook. Your such a nonconformist.

Also i've never ev or iv trained. But i have breed for better moves.

I think Iv's and Ev's are enough to keep someone busy.

Years
  • In this one Platinum interview I'm too lazy to dig up I remember that they asked Junichi Masuda (Director since Pokemon Crystal, designed Hoenn...) and some other guy if they would make hidden mechanics a more prominent part of the game. They said that they had considered it, but they weren't sure how to approach it. I posted a skill point idea I had a while ago, I'll try to excavate it. :|

Back