• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question: Regarding multiple accounts and shared accounts...

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I know one is not allowed to have multiple accounts as long as they don't pretend to be someone else, but the rules on this says "staff can view your IPs" to determine if you are playing sock-puppetry but also says something like you can make multiple accounts for you or other members of your family.
    So, wouldn't staff be confused into thinking two people with seperate accounts using the same computer is the same person playing sock-puppetry because they have the same IP address?

Also, what is the policy on multiple people sharing one account?

Axєl

→ enveloping flames;
    Years
  • You can typically tell when two accounts on the same IP are really different people, or the same person. It's obvious in some ways, and we can usually figure it out. We have ways. xD On the chance that they really are two different people, we just have to trust them. Like-wise, two people using the same IP is fine, and it's done a lot. Heck, even one of our mods shares an IP with a sibling.

Sharing one account has happened before too.. Although, I'm not h-staff so I dunno how that's dealt with staff-selection wise, but if you're not looking to be modded, then account sharing works out okay. o_O

Edit: UGH. sorry.. >_> forgot I was on my alt. xD; -mod-

Volumknappen

Legendary Pokenoob
    Years
  • Don't think there are any policy on that yet. If it was it should stand in the rules.
    Yes, they will get confused but I'm sure each account individually have some kind of ID?
    But i really don't know.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Yes, they will get confused but I'm sure each account individually have some kind of ID?
    But i really don't know.
    Every member has a number, visible in the URL of one's profile, avatar, profile picture and non-external signature images. It's simply one up from the last person that registered; mine is 37017, yours is 222257. There's no way it would help in discerning two people on the same account and all it would tell you about different accounts with the same IP is that they're different accounts, which is plain obvious anyway.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    You're right, multiple account rules are tricky. Obviously people who share a computer or live together (family, etc.) will have the same IP and they'll be different people, but if someone made a new account and pretended it was a sibling then we can't really call them out on it. It's one of those case-by-case rules that we mods have to make judgement calls on, and to be honest, it's very rarely something that even comes up.

As for sharing an account, I don't see why you'd want to but I suppose there's nothing preventing it... just remember, like Drew said, you kiss any chance of being a mod goodbye by doing that.

So if an account was banned or infracted, saying the offense is the fault of some other user of the account a valid defense or no? I was mainly wondering how it works for infractions and bans.

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
    Years
  • So if an account was banned or infracted, saying the offense is the fault of some other user of the account a valid defense or no? I was mainly wondering how it works for infractions and bans.
    That would probably not work, because if you are different people, you're expected to have different accounts, even in the same family.
    If one account gets banned, it doesn't effect the other.

However, for an offense that got you IP banned, nothing can be done and you both can't come to the site.

Back